2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (beginagain, CentauriB, BarryR, An Old Square, 36251, 11 invisible), 594 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
hes Offline
H
Originally Posted by JerryFan2000
. . . Thats leads me to suspect maybe the extra tuning features in Pro version is the reason. With all the informative feedback from you guys, I think I need to do more experiment with the settings in Pianoteq or probably extra post processing in other audio processing software.
I'm skeptical that tweaking with settings in Pro or Standard versions are the answer. Sounds like terrible recording to me, not sure what to make of things with all that hiss. And, of course, the more skilled the piano player the better the instrument will sound, so not surprising that your playing doesn't sound as good as expert pianists.

For perspective you might want to refer to this Phil Best video, "How do I get Pianoteq to sound good", where he plays on minimally altered presets, which are identical across Stage, Standard and Pro versions of Pianoteq. I believe he says the only post-processing he did was to add a bit of compression.

In any case, before you lay out the bucks for a more expensive piano version, I would test things out with the demo of the Pro version. My guess is you get no improvement, or maybe that you make things worse by messing with the settings.

Last edited by hes; 08/05/21 01:43 PM.
T
T
I think hes is right when saying that tweaking the instrument settings will not be the solution. Super experts have spent quite some time to tweak these presets to sound as good as possible. Normally adding some reverb and compression is sufficient. You might prefer a slightly different sound, but that will not be the difference between a professional sounding recording and an "amateur" recording.

I do think that your recording could benefit from more reverb - a lot of classical piano music is recorded in larger studios. Once, you get rid of that hiss and distortion you could try that.

Your performance of the piece is really nice, but a professional would play with more nuances, better timing, better dynamics - all this adds to the overall experience and makes it difficult to compare recordings. You could try to playback a MIDI file played by a professional to see what the part the performance contributes and what part the recording/sound engineering is.

Fatar Studio 900, Galaxy Vintage D, Zimmermann Silent Piano made by C. Bechstein
http://www.gentlerain.de
Hi JerryFan2000,
is there a way to record your playing into a midi file and then play around with pianoteq settings using only the same midi file over and over again? This allows you to concentrate to the sound output only, no distraction because of concentrating to your own playing. And you are sure, the quality of your playing remains constant!

Another idea to follow on:
When it is about headphone shopping, very often it is recommended to use an dedicated soundcard instead of a regular built in of a windows PC. On my PC I use a 30$ USB soundcard and all of my headphones sound dramatically better than with the internal sound-chip. Maybe this applies also for the analogue signal from a PC to monitor speakers. (I geuss Apple hardware is much better in this regard than the usual Windows PCs)

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s
A
A
Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
When it is about headphone shopping, very often it is recommended to use an dedicated soundcard instead of a regular built in of a windows PC. On my PC I use a 30$ USB soundcard and all of my headphones sound dramatically better than with the internal sound-chip. Maybe this applies also for the analogue signal from a PC to monitor speakers. (I geuss Apple hardware is much better in this regard than the usual Windows PCs)

If one of the sources sounds 'dramatically better' on headphones, probably you have some effects (like Windows sound so-called 'enhancements') engaged on one of devices.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JerryFan2000
.... I actually think the sound already feels lifeless right out of the monitor speaker. I also have the Garritan CFX lite and feels the same way too. I also tried ......

Is it safe to say that the record you made & mentioned in your OP was done with either a Yamaha C2X or Kawai MP11SE plus or minus whatever else - analog or digital audio cabling and PC/Computer/VST/a/v recording gadgetry - was involved?

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Another "Which Midi Controller Should I Buy"
by cody.carrig - 12/08/21 04:05 PM
Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 and staccato duration
by Mati - 12/08/21 04:04 PM
How good is a Chickering 105 B concert grand?
by tommyhaha - 12/08/21 02:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,462
Posts3,151,652
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission