2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (AcousticAndre, AlphaTerminus, 36251, Albertan, accordeur, Ben T., Boboulus, anotherscott, 20 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
D
Sonepica, there are numerous variables that can effect the volume (amount of, not loudness) of tone and the length of sustain of a piano, such as its physical size (larger = more potential resonance through the soundboard & case), how it's voiced, the accoustics of the room it's placed in, and of course proper tuning.

1979 Yamaha C7D
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Something I noticed comparing a CFX with Yamahas 7'6 pianos is that the CFX had a better treble, by which I mean a much more substantial tone with a longer sustain.

It's easy to see why concert grands would have a better bass than smaller pianos - the bass strings are much longer. But the treble section would be almost the same, wouldn't it?

What's the reason that concert grands have a better treble? Or larger pianos vs smaller pianos in general, such as a C7 vs a C6?

Have you compared the treble sustain of medium length grands from other manufactures to the CFX or just smaller Yamaha grands? An SK-3 I played had excellent treble sustain. Grotrian pianos I've played had phenomenal treble sustain as well, just to mention a couple. I haven't played a Yamaha grand in a number of years, but I would assume the product line that competes with Shigeru Kawai's contains excellent pianos.

This was just something I noticed at the Yamaha showroom when I was selecting my S7X. There are no Kawai pianos there. It's not necessarily about sustain, but the substantiveness of the sound.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
The treble in some of the S7X videos you linked elsewhere was quite excellent! thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
On one hand, one might assume that concert grands have better everything. On the other hand, if I can oversimplify, the basic grand design is the same apart from the length of the bass, and the overall gradation down to the short treble, so it's no wonder that "balance" issues arise (although that's not the topic of the thread).

Anyway, when I read the thread subject I thought, "do they (have better trebles)?" And I'd say not necessarily. It's really down to the various designs, and even the individual specimens of those designs, and how they are maintained.

How to Upload Pictures

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Typically, a 9 foot concert grand has different materials, design constraints, and scale design than does a semi-grand at 71/2’. Performing for a concert audience is entirely different than performing for a smaller venue. I believe the only fair comparison might be to compare the treble of a CFX in a concert hall the treble of a CF6 in a smaller hall, but then that’s only if the craftsmanship, materials and scale design is exactly the same on both pianos. (The 2 pianos might not be exactly the same because the length of the CFX might require differences in the making).

Last edited by j&j; 08/05/21 09:09 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Why? It's because of the plate. smile

Originally Posted by Steve Jackson

Funnily enough, that’s what my piano tech said - that the weight of the frame affects sustain. Or at least, what I think he said. I could have misunderstood. He certainly never compared treble across concert grands, so no answer there.

However, he mentioned a weighting system on some of his pianos (Overs 225) designed to prolong or retard sustain on a per note basis, and his opinion was that the weight of the Stuart agraffes contributes to their long sustain.

I wonder if Fareham could contribute to this discussion. I’d love to hear his opinion.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by parnassus
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson

Funnily enough, that’s what my piano tech said - that the weight of the frame affects sustain. Or at least, what I think he said. I could have misunderstood. He certainly never compared treble across concert grands, so no answer there.

However, he mentioned a weighting system on some of his pianos (Overs 225) designed to prolong or retard sustain on a per note basis, and his opinion was that the weight of the Stuart agraffes contributes to their long sustain.

I wonder if Fareham could contribute to this discussion. I’d love to hear his opinion.

The idea that a heavier plate helps is that it keeps the structure of the piano quieter which then takes less energy from the soundboard. I am not sure how to practically test this on a piano with a heavier plate ( to see if it would be better with a lighter plate ), but on a piano with a lighter plate I suppose you could load up the plate with weight and listen for any changes.
In the case of the Stuart agraffes adding weight, it is to the soundboard system, which can increase sustain but as with almost everything in pianos there is a price which is slowing the initial tonal development which generally makes the piano more percussive sounding. Depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the particular piano and its design, this may be a reasonable tradeoff. We recently rebuilt an old Sohmer grand piano from the 1920s that had bridge agraffes and it had excellent sustain but it still had that weird sound I associate with pianos with bridge agraffes. This old Sohmer did turn out to be the nicest sounding piano I have heard with bridge agraffes though.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
A heavier plate will damp better and also be more rigid, and both of these will serve to rob less energy from the vibrating panel. A lighter plate will have more resonances, audible or otherwise. Plate struts are a notable source of resonances, and you can often feel them vibrating even when you cannot hear the resonance. If if is vibrating but you cannot hear it, does that mean it has some effect on the soundboard system?

I have taken a 1" hardwood dowel, cut it to about 1' long, rounded off one end, and used it to test the plate in various locations. Hold it over a plate (in or out of piano), and drop it about 2". Catch it as it bounces the first time. Test it in various locations on the plate. Interestingly, one of the more lively areas is the hitch pin field between the pins and the bridge. Even more lively is the intersection of a plate strut and the hitch pin area. It seems likely to me that this is a lossy area for string energy. (Damn!!).

It seems likely that each of those 88 (or 102, or 108) bridge agraffes on the Stuart add a fair amount more weight than the 6 puny bridge pins we normally see. This is somewhat offset by the fact that the wooden bridge is not as tall as a conventional one. So yes, that likely contributes to the character of the sustain and its longevity.

Keith, I will ask you to be more descriptive of what you hear when you say that it slows the initial tonal development (as in the early attack phase?) and makes the piano more percussive. If you can elaborate on the "weird sound I associate with pianos with bridge agraffes." You are very perceptive, so I always enjoy your comments.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
The idea that a heavier plate helps is that it keeps the structure of the piano quieter which then takes less energy from the soundboard. I am not sure how to practically test this on a piano with a heavier plate ( to see if it would be better with a lighter plate ), but on a piano with a lighter plate I suppose you could load up the plate with weight and listen for any changes.

You could use a set of tuning forks, one for each fundamental frequency starting at say A440 and increasing from there. (Plate resonance would be higher piano frequencies). For each, vibrate the tuning fork and hold the base on the plate. Listen for resonance.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
We already have two active threads about plates.... let's not make this one about plates as well.

There's more to life than plates, people!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
We already have two active threads about plates.... let's not make this one about plates as well.

So there's more to life then your questions!

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh

Yes. And yet you still found time to drop by my thread and make a silly comment. I really appreciate your time today.

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh

Yes. And yet you still found time to drop by my thread and make a silly comment. I really appreciate your time today.

grin ha

How to Upload Pictures

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
"There's more to life than plates, people!"

Indeed. Get one.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Pianos of better design made with better materials by better craftpersons will sound better from top to bottom. When looking at different sized pianos from the same manufacturer, the size and quality of the inner rim will effect the body resonance. Generally, in this case, bigger is better.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Dave B
Pianos of better design made with better materials by better craftpersons will sound better from top to bottom. When looking at different sized pianos from the same manufacturer, the size and quality of the inner rim will effect the body resonance. Generally, in this case, bigger is better.

Not to mention better technicians, better voicing, better isolation, better acoustics and better pianists.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm

6000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Withindale
Originally Posted by Dave B

Not to mention better technicians, better voicing, better isolation, better acoustics and better pianists.

thumb

How to Upload Pictures

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

Ha, you guys still at it? Spent the day at Epcot yesterday, played tennis at a Sheraton resort today, and topped it off with a massage this afternoon.

I contemplated asking the brilliant scientists at Epcot to figure out the plate issue but then I saw the mouse ears and thought otherwise.

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Jethro

Ha, you guys still at it? Spent the day at Epcot yesterday, played tennis at a Sheraton resort today, and topped it off with a massage this afternoon.

I contemplated asking the brilliant scientists at Epcot to figure out the plate issue but then I saw the mouse ears and thought otherwise.

Jethro, there's no need to lie to make your life seem more exciting. We all know you spent the weekend watching judge judy reruns. And we're ok with that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Away for 2 weeks
by Cutec - 10/24/21 05:29 PM
Notation Question (Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement)
by DaveInMichigan - 10/24/21 03:18 PM
The Haunting at ParSem!
by Piano World - 10/24/21 02:27 PM
Historical pianos / Chris Maene
by Ppianissimo - 10/24/21 02:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,724
Posts3,141,778
Members103,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission