2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (anotherscott, 36251, brdwyguy, c++, accordeur, Bruce In Philly, astrotoy, Carey, 16 invisible), 879 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3142115 07/31/21 11:58 AM
O
Omobono Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I have just returned from a drive to Reigate, home of one of the Bonners shops. I thought I would write my impressions on the pianos I have tried.

Please note that: 1) I am largely inexperienced, 2) I do not have anywhere near the degree of sophistication of some of the worthy posters on this forum, and 3) I was mainly interested in the way the pianos look and feel. I am persuaded my Sennheiser HD700 (worth every penny) will make any of them sound good enough for me. Also, and 4), this was a Saturday morning with a big din almost all of the time. I really could not appreciate the nuances of the piano sounds. I have no doubt at home it would be different. It would also be too late wink.

So, without further ado, my thoughts on the following digital pianos:

Casio GP-510.
It would look good if it wasn't for the tacky plaque. Someone at Casio needs to lose his job over this. Also, the piano looks fairly tiny "in the flesh", with the nearby CA99 showing more height and - seemingly - "presence", if you know what I mean. The gimmick of the moving hammers is partly covered by the music stand, which by me would be on almost all of the time. Still, it's different and, I think, a nice idea. The sound was... anemic, and the opening at the front/top did not help, either. The saleslady told me that this is something they want ( = "cap" the max sound before distortions kick in). This would indicate that the piano can play at near max volume without much distortion. I am not sold on the argument. As to the quality of the sound, I liked the Bechstein most, followed by the Steinway, with the Boesendorfer a clear third. Of course, I think there would be a lot to work and tinker with, and it is also likely that, in a room, the power will appear adequate. Also, I would play with earphones, and for what I coudl appreciate the Bechstein (= "Berlin") sound would be quite satisfactory. The GP510 was the only DP in the room to have a messing ornament in the front feet, which I found very elegant. Alas, the plaque screams "tacky!" to the other side of the road and ruins everything. The action was very good, and I mean very good. I felt immediately at ease. It clearly wants to be an acoustic piano action when it grows up. Effortless. Could have played for hours. All in all the best part of the piano. Polished Ebony finish looked very classy in person but, again, a bit "little brother" near the CA 99.

Kawai CA79
They had a rosewood one that I found not to my taste. I did not like the action (but see below). It was a bit toy-like, like playing something plasticky. Mind, it was better than my CN24's, but after the GP510 it felt underwhelming. This is inexplicable to me, because the action of the CA99 sitting beside it was flawless. I suspect that the way clients who know more than me tinker with the settings may influence the way the action feels when I play it? I always switched the piano off and on, but I don't know what settings are saved and what the standard ones are. The CA79 had a strange screen on the left. This looked like a cheap video toy for a kindergarten boy. It took forever to boot (but you can start playing before it has finished), it wasn't near as fast or immediate to use as a mobile phone (which you would think it is; but no, it's more child's toy speed) and, when you started playing, it became of a very strange "hey, I am still here"-gray colour, probably something made extra to annoy the user. Several people should lose their job over this. I would get accustomed to it like one gets accustomed to an unpleasant neighbour: you learn to live with it, but you'll never like the situation.

Kawai CA99
There was an example in beautiful Polished Ebony. The height gave it more "presence" than the GP-510 near it. However, the fact that the top is partially covered with fabric makes it look, in my book, way less stylish than the others. The action was a dream, which I found inexplicable considering the CA79 near it (and it switched between the two half a dozen times). It was, for lack of a better word, luscious. It was scrumptious. The sound was also (for what I could appreciate in the midst of the din) fuller, more "adult" than in the CA79 which, in comparison, sounded "thinner" and I think this was the soundboard at work, although it's difficult to say how both would work in a normal room. But the selling point of this piano is the action. Coming from a digital piano, I was instantly at home, but it played in such a way that I think all but the most proficient acoustic piano players would not have any issue with it. It had, if you allow me, half deflated tyres (acoustic seem to me to have "deflated tyres" compared to the "bouncier" keyboard I am accustomed to), it was "just right". Obviously, same kindergarten screen as the CA79 with the same issues.

Yamaha CLP785
I had already played this at Yamaha London. Can't understand why some people call the action hard. It felt just fine to me. It lacked some of that luscious tactility of the Kawai (the Kawai tries harder not to feel like a digital action, it felt more similar to the hybrids, see below), but it wasn't worse, just different. It's probably the action I would like most if I did not have in my head this idea of how an action "should be" (= like an acoustic piano's). Kudos to Yamaha, because the more I played it the more I liked it. I'd say it's the top if you like the way a digital action really behaves and are not interested in the way "it should behave". The sound was also impressive, it had the muscle the Casio lacked and, it seemed to me, a more recognisable, clear Yamaha sound (I forgot to try the Boesendorfer voice). I could live with this piano for the rest of my life. User interface made from adults for adults, very sleek with the smooth surface (no buttons) that goes out of the way when you play and reactivates itself at the touch of a finger whenever you want to. Really elegant and effective. Polished Ebony looks, to me, much better than the CA99 because the top is all polished, no fabric. It really is a great sounding, great playing instrument, which looks better than the Kawai (no fabric on the top and and sensible UI), but is perhaps, perhaps, just not quite as good in the action department, where the CA 99 really excels. Note: with the headphones they gave me, the "binaural" stuff was **just not there**. Nice sound, but I though I would be blown away. That was a big 404 error (=not found). It might change with better headphones, or in a different environment. But if you are interested in the Nu1x (below) I woudn't make much of the fact that the Boesendorfer voice has no Binaural stuff.

Yamaha NU1X.
I had tried this in London, too. Impression confirmed. I still prefer the CLP 785. This one plays more like an acoustic, but it's a tad too hard for my liking and I find the action of the CLP 785 more immediately talking to me, lighter, easier to play and live with. It's not one of my candidates.

Kawai NV 5s (I think).
The disappointment of the day. It's so beautiful it makes you ache and I really, really wanted to like it. The action is way too hard for me. Would I get accustomed? Why would I run the risk, for so much money, that I won't? The sound was beautiful, powerful, natural. Again, it looks like a supermodel. But it's not going to be.

Yamaha N1X
I had played this already and, again, impression confirmed. It plays very well, and I was, this time, way more accustomed to the "deflated tyres" effect. Could play it for hours. Beautiful sound. Not mad for the shape, but again I don't think this so important. The action is quite, quite good.

Kawai NV10s ( I think).
Wins in all categories but UI. I did not want to go away from that action, and I am most certainly not an expert of actions. To me it was better than the nearby N1X (switched to and fro several time) for something difficult to explain, I'd say immediacy, communication with the keyboard. I started to play it and we were instantly friends. It just made me feel "at home", and I don't even play acoustics.

Next message: the Rolands, availability, and general considerations.

“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
O
Omobono Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Rolands. They are strange beasts, these ones. I tried LX 705, LX706, LX708 and HP704. The HP704 seems to have a very good value for money. I felt at ease with the action from the start. This is the same action of the LX705. The action in the LX706/708 was better (for me at least).
Common to all the Rolands (for me): they sound strange. Played in isolation in a Roland shop one might notice less, but near the others this morning I was left with a strange taste, like Coca Cola Zero if you know what I mean. This, for all of them and all the voices I could try.
Then there is the user interface: the LX 706 allows you to "draw" the keyboard cover so that you don't see the instruments; however, it leaves you with a strange "wooden bump" that still does not look anywhere like an acoustic piano. You just have this wood telling you "I am trying very hard not to let you see the user interface".
The LX708 is even worse: this is the flagship product and the UI cannot be hidden, at all. A sort of "curtain" (hopefully wooden) manually drawn over the interface would do the trick, but no, it has to be all in sight, all the time. I think the design is flawed, but more in the LX708 than in the LX705/6 or the cheaper HP704.
To me, the Rolands were Coca Cola Cherry, Coca Cola Light, and Coca Cola Zero. They try very hard, but they are never quite right.

Availability: the Rolands are the only ones available. I don't wait for consumer electronics, so there.

General considerations: coming from a CN24, and having tried the cheaper version of all these models, I can attest that one pays a lot for a relatively modest improvement. The CLP785 is excellent, but I think that a much cheaper CLP 745 can accompany one for many years without feeling that the instrument is holding the pianist back. In short, there isn't really this *need* to spend thousands of pounds to improve from the CN 24, because the CN 24 it's (in my book) 85% there already action wise. Similarly, after the CN 39 or thereabouts, you pay for a slightly better action, better speakers, nicer cabinets, but no game-changing features. The real game changer is the hybrid action and, if you ask me, only the grand piano one.

To me, this would mean that there is no urgency to upgrade as it is more of a "nice to have" than something that would change the way I interact with the piano. It might, also, speak for only upgrading when the upgrade is a noticeable jump (hybrid), but the NV 5 was not good for me and the N1X/NV10 are (particularly the latter) really expensive, plus space stays in the way for the small corner in the small room where I want the piano.

I will keep observing the market. What I seem to understand is that a purchase would be an expense that I make because I want to, not because I need the new piano to progress in my playing.

Hope this has helped

Thanks for your time

Omobono

Last edited by Omobono; 07/31/21 12:21 PM.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by Omobono
Thanks for your time

Well, let me say thanks for *your* time.

And thanks for an interesting report with striking metaphors and keen observations.

So, one observation on my side: For the looks and of course in particular the sound of the NV5S -- would you have been similarly over the moon with the action (which you weren't), then, would the NV5S have been your clear 'winner' of this Saturday morning?

I *may* make time somewhere this week for a similar reconnaissance trip, to a Bonners-like dealer where I hope to find an identical lineup of instruments.

Cheers and happy market watching,

HZ

O
Omobono Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hi HZPiano.

If the NV5s had had an action more suited to me, I would have crowned it the best piano for my situation. Of course, the issue would have remained that, objectively speaking, it is much more money than the CA99 for a superiority compared to it that is not so marked, at all. However, in that case I would have started to look for reasons why the difference in price is justified or, at least, reasonable (that's generally what I do when I know I am going to buy the piano anyway.. wink ).

If we talk of a "clear winner" in terms of value for money, it gets more difficult. In that case, I'd say that the GP 510 still seems very good money for the overall performance and look, followed closely by the CA 99.

If we talk of objective winner, money no object, it was the Novus 10. That was the real McCoy and, playing it back to back with the N1X, it was, in my eyes, superior to it overall.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When the NV5 action isn't calibrated right it can be tough. I had to call a tech in the past to fix it. After that, the NV5 action is close to one of the best actions i've ever had (including the NV10).

Kawai: NV5 | MP11SE
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
C
Online Content
C
Did you try any acoustics? Curious on the NV5s (and NU1X) vs them as far as the action being hard. Really thinking I want to go the hybrid road vs the ca99 or clp785 for the sake of acoustic action… I’m not too familiar with digital actions anyway (just synths)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A lot of common sense in what you say. Funny thing is I always liked the CN24 and later, but I never got around to actually buying one.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
Online Content
C
I guess I mean acoustic uprights vs the NU1X and NV5. Seems you did like the hybrids with grand action. Curious if it’s just uprights in general being too heavy. Trying to see if the upright hybrids are on par with acoustic uprights

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Omobono,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these different instruments - very interesting read.

This is somewhat off-topic, however am I correct in thinking that, despite obviously being based in the UK (presumably for a number of years), you are not actually British?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Hi HZPiano.

If the NV5s had had an action more suited to me, I would have crowned it the best piano for my situation.

Thank you for your clarifications in this post. It takes the guesswork out of what I already suspected, including your remark on the NV10S.

Are you perhaps planning a second visit on a quieter moment? It is interesting to say the least how our impressions and preferences *can* vary from day to day.

Cheers and happy research,

HZ

P
P
Originally Posted by Tyr
When the NV5 action isn't calibrated right it can be tough. I had to call a tech in the past to fix it. After that, the NV5 action is close to one of the best actions i've ever had (including the NV10).

Same here (K300 action which I think is the same/very similar). Very nice action, the main reason why I bought it, but the one I received needed regulation to fix slow keys pretty soon. I believe my K300 ATX3 may be from the same factory as the NV5 (Indonesia).

O
Omobono Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hi all, I will try to give more explanations:

NV5: I told the saleslady how hard to play the NV5 was. She told me "yeah, it is harder than the NV10" with the air of the person who gave that answer a couple of times already. I do not doubt that the regulation of the action could improve things somewhat. However, I'd say that, more likely than not, it will remain more difficult to play than the ones on the N1X/MV10, for obvious reasons due to the physics involved. As things stand, I personally would not spend an awful lot of money to buy the piano, then extra money to have a technician come and regulate it properly, then run the risk that it is still not really what I like. At that point I would go for the CA99 straight (by a very close margin, the best "folded" action I have played yesterday, with the Yamaha and the Casio a very short distance behind) and live - hopefully - happily ever after.

Acoustics: I played shortly an upright that was in store, I think it was a Feurich but I could be wrong. I did this exclusively in order to get accustomed to that "deflated tyres" action feel before playing the hybrids (I wanted to also sample the hybrids as to their proper "acoustic action" qualities). This upright was nowhere as difficult to play for me than the NV5, but I could still notice that the "folded" actions of the digitals are easier to play for me. That upright played pretty much like the NU1X.

Mind, I also tried the NV5 at several volumes in order to see whether that usual "volume effect" would apply (volume is too low, you instinctively play harder to make it sound as you want it to sound, it feels heavy) but no, it was heavier to play, full stop. If it's a regulation issue, then Bonners lost a potential client for this piano because of this and they need to do it better (but see the answer of the saleslady above). Still, I would say that an awful lot of people, particularly those who have played upright acoustics all their lives, will live with it all right. I did not have to use a hammer, you know... It was just unpleasantly "unyielding" particularly compared to the hybrid grands and the digitals in the other room, which all try to imitate a grand and, I would say, do it rather well. Further confirmation of this: I found the NU1X also "harder" to play than the two hybrid grands, but not as bad as the NV5. Still, and coming from a Kawai CN24, when playing the NU1X I could not avoid thinking "I'll have the CLP 785, thank you very much".

Kawai James: I am Italian born and bread, but have been living in the UK for a while now. I try to write properly, but I will never be mother tongue.

Before I forget: I actually realised yesterday afternoon that there were no Dexibell pianos in the room (unless I really missed them; which is improbable considering their unusual shape). Not sure if this was a loss as I don't think that the Fatar action would have really managed to compete against Kawai, Yamaha and Casio, all three of which I found (excepting the CA79) quite good. Much as I like the "all-Italian" setup, I wil not travel far to try them until I find reviewers online who credibly state that it competes with the CA99 and GP-510 of the world.

As to coming back, I'd say not too soon. It was 1 hour to drive there and 1 hour 40 to drive back. Europeans are not so willing to spend a long time on the road like Americans are forced to do, so this was a pretty long trek to me. I might have done it again soon if decent availability had been there; but it isn't, so I won't. I drove all the way to Reigate to try the CA99 and the GP 510 (beside the Rolands), but I secretly knew I wanted to fall in love with the NV5.

It did not happen.

P
P
Originally Posted by HZPiano
I *may* make time somewhere this week for a similar reconnaissance trip, to a Bonners-like dealer where I hope to find an identical lineup of instruments.
HZ

Very curious what your experience will be. Keep us updated smile

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by pianogabe
Originally Posted by HZPiano
HZ

Very curious what your experience will be. Keep us updated smile

That is, *if* I can find a day to do that trip 😀.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

... the best "folded" action I have played yesterday ...

By the way, these are *not* folded actions.

Examples of folded actions are Roland PHA-4, Yamaha GHS, and Kawai Responsive Hammer Compact.

Cheers and happy actions,

HZ

P
P
I agree, DP actions can be mechanically much more different compared to each other than acoustic ones.

If you make it to that store, make sure you compare the NV5 with its acoustic counter parts the K200 or K300. I am really baffled that someone can find the NV5 heavy, as my K300 quite light as compared to the acoustic K500 for example, and also compared to the Kawai's digital GFII Compact, both of which I played extensively. But my surprise is based on the assumption that the actions of the NV5 and K200/300 are the same (except for the hammers, but I assume they would be weighted the same), and perhaps they aren't. I have never played a NV5.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi all, I will try to give more explanations:

NV5: I told the saleslady how hard to play the NV5 was. She told me "yeah, it is harder than the NV10" with the air of the person who gave that answer a couple of times already. I do not doubt that the regulation of the action could improve things somewhat. However, I'd say that, more likely than not, it will remain more difficult to play than the ones on the N1X/MV10, for obvious reasons due to the physics involved. As things stand, I personally would not spend an awful lot of money to buy the piano, then extra money to have a technician come and regulate it properly, then run the risk that it is still not really what I like. At that point I would go for the CA99 straight (by a very close margin, the best "folded" action I have played yesterday, with the Yamaha and the Casio a very short distance behind) and live - hopefully - happily ever after.

Idk what your problem with the action is. I just measured the weight on the middle C with a few coins on my NV5 right now and the key is pushing down at 56 grams. This is pretty good for an upright action.

Kawai: NV5 | MP11SE
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
Online Content
Kawai James: I am Italian born and bread, but have been living in the UK for a while now.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much for confirming my suspicions. wink

I try to write properly, but I will never be mother tongue.

On the contrary, I think you write beautifully.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by Tyr
... I just measured the weight on the middle C with a few coins on my NV5 right now and the key is pushing down at 56 grams. This is pretty good for an upright action.

That is a fine number and I'm glad to read this. Something must have been off with the particular one at Bonners' this weekend. And/or the busy racket going on there may have made it difficult to judge at that particular moment. This is guesswork of course -- for I wasn't there.

I'd love for the NV5S to be as lovely in real life as it appears on paper. Hope to 'meet' one before long.

Cheers and happy actions,

HZ

P
P
Originally Posted by Tyr
Idk what your problem with the action is. I just measured the weight on the middle C with a few coins on my NV5 right now and the key is pushing down at 56 grams. This is pretty good for an upright action.

Just tried this on K300 and on my it is 61 grams to make the key move down. And 81 grams to get a minimal sound.The latter is on the low range compared to the digitals tested by sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/keyboard-action-and-key-weight-experiment/

Might be that the NV5 is even lighter than the K300, but it may also be regulation differences. I didn't have my action fully regulated, just a few black keys that were slow were fixed by the dealer. At the moment it is quite humid in my home ~65 % RH, so that may also explain the difference.

Last edited by pianogabe; 08/01/21 09:09 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues
by Lance Jensen - 09/17/21 04:49 PM
Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano?
by Connor5522 - 09/17/21 03:44 PM
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold
by Chernobieff Piano - 09/17/21 03:18 PM
Kawai NV5 Or NV10?
by Tenor1 - 09/17/21 02:53 PM
Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano?
by WinstonSmith - 09/17/21 02:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,160
Posts3,133,112
Members102,761
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission