2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 11 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
skradke Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi all,

I am new here, and I just purchased a grand piano. I'm sorry if this question was asked before, but do you all keep the lid open when it's not in use, or do you close it. Thanks for your input.

--Sharon

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Leaving the lid open all of the time, whether the piano is in use or not, allows for dust and household pollutants such as cooking grease etc. to collect on the plate, soundboard and strings a lot easier than if the lid were closed and only opened for playing etc. The sound board is a pain to clean.

GP

S
skradke Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks so much grandpianoman, I certainly wouldn't want dust and house pollutants collecting inside my piano.

I just purchased a grand piano and I plan to keep the lid closed too. I don't want any dust to collect on the soundboard. It is very hard to clean the inside of the piano without damaging the soundboard. wink It also keeps the kids wandering curious exploring finger. Also you need to worry about curious adults who cant seem to resist playing with the strings inside the piano. Keep the lid closed.

Make music not war
a cover doesnt help when you have kids and a cat

Make music not war
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You're welcome Skradke...you might want to also consider a string cover at some point. It will help in keeping out the dust and household pollutants along with keeping the lid closed. It's also beneficial for the bass strings, they don't get dull sounding and the copper does not tarnish as fast. (it takes a number of years for that to happen, depending on the climate etc) One of the best out there is the Edwards string cover.

http://edwardsstringcovers.com/

In fact, you could keep your lid open with a string cover such as the Edwards, and you would hardly have any accumulation of dust etc. I have seen grands that had a string cover in place from from when they were new, and 10 years later, they still looked almost new.

GP

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I use an Edwards String Cover in my Estonia, but I still lower the lid when I'm not playing the piano. I am a little less diligent about folding down the music desk and closing the front lid than I was before I had the string cover.

Regards

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Do you find that the string covers affect the tone of the piano? The volume? Neither?

Edwards also sells sound reduction kits. Anyone use one of those? I'm experiencing a problem with high frequency reverberation in my high ceilinged, glass filled piano room.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I belive it does Piano*Dad,,,,it will help 'mute' the sound a bit, highs will be quietier ...it may help to lessen the high frequency reverb in your situation.

GP

S
skradke Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Oh wow, this is great, I'm learning so much from this forum. About how much can I expect to spend for stringcovers?

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I take this one step further. I keep the lid closed and a vinyl cover over the piano, so that dust and pollutants can't get in through the space between the lid and the rim.

Piano Technician/Tuner

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Do you find that the string covers affect the tone of the piano? The volume? Neither?
There was a thread here a couple months back where somebody, I forget who (my memory stinks, if you haven't figured that out already), posted recordings of the same piece played with and without the string cover. I and several other posters couldn't hear a difference in either the volume or tone, but admittedly that was with imperfect computer speakers.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by skradke:
Oh wow, this is great, I'm learning so much from this forum. About how much can I expect to spend for stringcovers?
The Edwards String Cover for my 6'3" (190 cm) Estonia was about $420.00 (US) including shipping. It does mute the high frequencies slightly, and to my taste that's not a disadvantage.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
skradke Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info Bruce. Sounds like a worth while investment smile

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi skradke,

Although a technician taught me how to clean the soundboard (and I'm good at it), I still keep the lid down most of the time. When I do my once-a-year soundboard cleaning, there is really not much dust in there. If I've been practicing and want to switch into performance mode, then I'll treat myself and open the lid for awhile, but promptly close it again immediately after the practice session is over.

An easy (and lazy) test is to refrain from dusting the lid for a week. Then take a good look as you make that first pass dusting off the surface. That same visible dust would have been INSIDE the piano had you left the lid open--perish the thought!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I try to remember to close the lid but I forget. Besides, everyone prefers the look of the piano with the lid open, at least at shortstick. So, once a week, I use a small vacuum cleaner (hose attached to output) to blow out the inside of the piano, starting from the pinblock and working to the other end. Then I vaccum out the remaining dust from the tail end and the exposed side of the soundboard. This seems to work although I'm sure it's better to close the lid and use a string cover.

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
BruceD wrote
I am a little less diligent about folding down the music desk.
I've often wondered about this. Does it really matter, particularly if the piano is used on a daily basis? confused

Lance

The older I get, the better I was.
N
N
Originally posted by CC2 and Chopin lover:
I take this one step further. I keep the lid closed and a vinyl cover over the piano, so that dust and pollutants can't get in through the space between the lid and the rim.
I take this even a step further. I close the lid, put on the cover, then I shrink-wrap the whole thing in plastic and packing tape.

Ok, I'm being a bit of a smart-*** here. I'm actually pretty terrible about closing the lid on my piano.

But seriously, to revive a great idea (posted here a while back) for newer posters who probably haven't seen it, you might look into one of these...It's a nifty little set of cleaning tools that hooks up to a standard vacuum:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BSJCLY/ref=dp_return_1/102-3020224-1200140?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

N
N

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I liked that vacuum cleaner attachment in the old thread, but I like this rechargable leaf-blower even better. The soundboard, bridges, plate, strings, etc... don't have a spec of dust - it takes 20 seconds once a week.

[Linked Image]

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission