2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi all. I have the opportunity to purchase a the referenced Bosendorfer for 30k from a private party. It's an absolute stunning instrument and while I can't have my tech look at it (he's unavailable), I'm wondering if I should just go head with the purchase. The tech who tuned the piano for sale mentioned the block is tight, has no obvious defects, maintains a sweet sound and sustain throughout the registers. I played the piano and his thoughts on the sound was exact. Hammers have almost zero wear (still the original), light corrosion as it's in the Santa Cruz area of California.

I'm a pretty decent pianist and have been looking at pianos for 15 years. While I can't open the fallboard and inspect the action, is are there any major defects that should be aware/beware of that would escape a performer's eye/ear?

One note-the piano does have a PianoDisc player system on it and seems to have affected the touch a bit. Not the smooth Bosendorfer touch I'm used too but not bad.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Do 2002 Bosendorfers really go for just 30k?

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Do 2002 Bosendorfers really go for just 30k?

Exactly! If it were me I’d find another technician to inspect it. Sounds somewhat fishy to me. It would be a fabulous deal if it’s for real.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
USD$30,000 sounds about right to me, as almost everything of consequence costs more here. A few years after this piano was made, I bought a car here in Sydney for $AUD135,000. It cost some SoCal car forum members USD$65,000 for the same spec.

This piano costs around AUD$150k here, but I didn’t try bargaining at the time so I have no idea how much you could actually buy it for.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I agree with those recommending you get another highly qualified tech to inspect the piano. The tech who has been servicing the piano might have a conflict of interest. You could also ask the tech you get about the action that you feel is not quite as good as the typical Boesendorfer and see if that can be rectified. The touch that you feel is not ideal might be due to the player installation but it could be something else.

A new Strauss model in pyramid mahogany has an SMP of 225K so the selling price seems very good if the piano is in excellent condition and you like it. OTOH it might be a mistake to buy it just be the price is so low, especially since the touch seems less than optimal to you.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/30/21 11:08 AM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
That is an amazing deal. I purchased a 1999 Bösendorfer 225 Strauss model in pyramid mahogany from California six years ago, for significantly more (it's the most beautiful piano I've seen in my life, and I was told by multiple people that I got a great deal on it). Perhaps the sellers are very motivated to sell.

If you won't lose the purchase by delaying, I'd recommend that you get a second opinion from a different tech.

Last edited by twocats; 07/30/21 11:12 AM.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The Strauss decor is available on different lengths, no? Which doesn't mean that $30k isn't an excellent deal. But maybe less crazy than if OP were being offered an Imperial.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
I'd advise having it inspected by someone who represents you and your interests.

Things that sound too good to be true usually are. And even if it's in the right price range, 30k is still a significant amount to put at risk. An inspection is a relatively small price to pay for peace of mind.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

OP Offline
I am loving this piano and this would be my lifetime instrument. I am concerned about the Pianodisc player system affecting the action (and a hole in the belly of the instrument). Does the player system affect the action? If removed, can I get back the factory specs on the action of is it forever altered? I know the hole in the belly will always be there but how big is that opening for the player system? After reading through another user's dilemma with the player system, I am wary.

B
BDB Offline
B
Strauss's personal Bösendorfer came up for auction here a few years ago. It was ebonized. I think it sold for about $30,000.

Semipro Tech
OP Offline
Wow! I'll have to look that up.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
The Strauss decor is available on different lengths, no? Which doesn't mean that $30k isn't an excellent deal. But maybe less crazy than if OP were being offered an Imperial.
The length of this Strauss model is known as is the SMP for a new Strauss of similar length.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by apianostudent
I am loving this piano and this would be my lifetime instrument. I am concerned about the Pianodisc player system affecting the action (and a hole in the belly of the instrument). Does the player system affect the action? If removed, can I get back the factory specs on the action of is it forever altered? I know the hole in the belly will always be there but how big is that opening for the player system? After reading through another user's dilemma with the player system, I am wary.

In a similar situation the concerns I had would delay any commitment on my part until I had the instrument thoroughly inspected by a reliable, independent technician.

Your action depends upon how much of a risk factor your concerns involve. Even at the "bargain" price of $30,000.00, I would not want an instrument - with that name on the fallboard and all that it stands for - that was compromised in any way.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I open the fall board on my Bösendorfer and remove the action whenever I feel like it for cleaning. It’s simple. Have whoever s selling it do it in front of you. It takes less than three minutes. If it plays fine you probably won’t find anything wrong,

Bösendorfer 170
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Usually a slot is cut for the player solenoid rail and the trap work (pedals) have to be altered to work with the player system. An independent technician can tell you to what extent regulation might improve the feel of this piano. At nearly 20 years old, if the regulation hasn't ever been touched up, it will definitely need it. The quality of aftermarket player system installation and performance tends to vary, from what I've heard and read from others in the know.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission