2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
97 members (benQF, Adypiano, anotherscott, 36251, ambrozy, Bob Husband, Animisha, 17 invisible), 848 guests, and 645 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3134760 07/05/21 12:22 PM
G
Greener Online Content OP

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thought I'd fire up the Piano Bar this month. Haven't seen it in awhile. Always thought it was a very easy going and great venue with no restrictions, so hope it can be revived.

Reason being, I recorded a couple over the weekend which was a chore after being absent from it for so long.
Unfortunately, neither of these tunes are really appropriate for the Great American Song Book recital that is coming up soon. So, what to do with them?

I know ... I'll put them in the monthly bar ... But, there hasn't been one in months ... OK well, there is now. cool

Last edited by Greener; 07/05/21 12:25 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nice to see this thread back but why does it have to be a monthly thread anyway? Why can't we just have a permanent piano bar thread like the piano exam group or one of the method book threads?

BTW, nice playing!

G

2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you.

Yes, you're right, it doesn't have to be anything, except what we want it to be.

Not enough activity for a permanent thread perhaps, unless you want to go searching for it and restore from time to time. It's a good thought for consideration. From my recollection, when the Bar was a happening place (even just last year it was quite active), it was busy early in the months and started losing momentum about half way through. So, a fresh start every month seemed like a working concept.

No one is in charge of it though and this year we are trending towards semi-annual piano bar. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice to see the bar is back. So you are among those who sing along with the piano. There has just been opened a special thread on this... Concerning the bar, I wonder why Ed Riddler has not made any contribution for such a long time. I hope he is well. Does anybody know?

I
Ido Offline
I
Beautiful, both of the recordings. The Carpenters cover/variation was especially touching, and the singing is lovely.

Thank you for creating the thread, I might join and share something here later...

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
I
Ido Offline
I
I'm joining the piano bar with this. It also wouldn't fit any recital here for obvious reasons...
Let me know what pieces come to mind when you listen to it:

G

2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you, Ido, nice of you to say.

I've never put a vocal arrangement in the Bar before, but it's an area I'm trying to develop more now after nearly a life time of neglect. The piano part was relatively easy, but the vocals never are when in combination with piano. Glad I did it though, as now I have designs on doing more of it and trying to develop this skill, which to me is way different from Piano solo.

Like your Etude. Accuracy you've nailed. Can't say it makes me thing of anything specific, but Bach immediately came to mind.

L
L
My first piano bar! I opened a Box account yesterday and uploaded my recording to it. Now to see if the link works: https://app.box.com/s/ny8gdy0prxag342puqlhfegelwleur5c. Not sure how to edit the link so it says the name of the song (Alice in Wonderland) instead of the gibberish needed for the link.

Hoping it works. Cheers

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Lilypad, I love your playing on the Great American Songbook recital. This was no exception. Very nicely done. One of my all time favorites.

Greener, Thanks for starting us back on the Piano Bar. Your great playing and singing on the videos is fun to hear and see.

Ido, I don't know classical music. However I am impressed with the precise staccato you played. I agree, you nailed it.

Folks, I submitted a recording of Stardust on the Great American Songbook recital. And I appreciate the nice comments I received. However, in stripping the sound track and converting it to a MP3 file, the sound of the piano is way off. Loud, bright, and harsh.

If you guys will permit me to redeem myself, here is that actual video of the recording I did for an online teacher.

Stardust

Tom

Kawai NV10
L
L
Tom, thank you for your comments on my recital pieces. I joined Piano World in January and posted that one of my 2021 goals was to record a piece for the Piano bar. I didn't see the bar open until July and most of my piano bar stlyle pieces were already in the recital. Alice in Wonderland was the second piece I ever arranged from a fake book.

I liked both versions of your 'Stardust'. The recital recording seemed fine to me and not too loud and I actually prefer a bright sound. I had to crank my speakers way up to hear the sound cloud version. Both sounded great to me. I have about ten more pieces to listen to from the recital and will post my comments on the recital discussion thread in one big batch along with my compliments on your piece.

I
Ido Offline
I
Tom, this was great and I went on to listen to other recordings of yours.
Lilypad, I really liked the recordings, and listened to it multiple times.

Thanks you to those who commented on my piece. I'll just note that it's not me playing, it's the computer smile maybe that's why the staccatos were spot on smile I composed it and was too lazy to learn to play it myself...

Last edited by Ido; 07/23/21 03:47 PM.

A
A
The piano bar! I'm finally getting back into the piano. I decided to start off slow as its been so long since I've played seriously.

Solitudes
Davide Nevue

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
L
L
Greener - I was so excited to get a chance to play at the piano bar that I neglected to thank you for opening it. I've been a forum lurker for at least two years before joining in January and particularly enjoyed the piano bar threads.

I also neglected to say how much I enjoyed your pieces. I loved the nostalgic feeling of the Trailer Park Boys theme. I saw the discussion of the piece on the submission thread for the Great American Songbook themed recital. The tune would have fit seamlessly into the music of that era, but I guess it was born too late. I'm very glad you chose to open the bar and share that arrangement. I also liked your singing and playing of Only Yesterday.

Ido - I enjoyed your composition - Etude in G minor. I don't listen to classical music closely enough to say what pieces would come to mind, but I can easily picture a young Mozart sitting at a harpsichord and playing your piece.

Augustina - I see you share my excitement about the bar! Your contribution was very relaxing listening.

G

2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you, Lilypad.

You have lovely soft touch in LH accompaniment and nice controlled little drag going on in places which I really like. A very good feel and sound as a result. Nice.

BTW, to get that file label thing working ... click on "use full editor" then click on the insert link icon (looks like link of chain) above the editor panel. Insert your URL in this panel and it will then provide an area to also assign a Title label. For videos use the Insert Media Tag beside image tag and select type of video in the drop down and insert URL in that panel, to get full display of video within the thread.

Perfect feel for a Bar like atmosphere Tom. There is no better choice then this one. Good cocktail lounge feel you bring to it and very well done.

Terrific, Thank you everyone that has stopped in this month. Nice to see you post again Augustina, lovely video and background playing. I like trying to place where those scenes may be from. Thinking mostly Alaska as I don't know of many mountains in Wisconsin, but lots of lakes and streams for sure.

August is typically slow time, but let's see what happens. I can have something to go, but won't be early and may depend if I get called back to work. Remember though, anyone can start the Bar, so don't be shy and hope we cross paths again soon.[url=http://][/url]

Last edited by Greener; 07/28/21 09:52 AM.
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
David, that is really nice. Very relaxing.

FWIW, I like the idea of having just one ongoing Piano Bar thread. How do we change the name of an existing thread?

Kawai NV10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yundi Li arrested
by Sidokar - 10/26/21 05:36 AM
A thought experiment
by cygnusdei - 10/26/21 03:58 AM
Modern U where is the sample folder located?
by MooganDavid - 10/25/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,749
Posts3,142,129
Members103,118
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission