2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (ando, bobrunyan, coz, brdwyguy, august112, An Old Square, accordeur, ChrisGoesPiano, 36251, 14 invisible), 686 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
Originally Posted by Pete14
Still, this instrument packs a lot for $799!

Hmm, it’s more like £850 ($1200) in the UK, not so compelling. Yamaha’s in particular seem badly priced in the UK, while Kawai’s seem cheaper here. No idea why.

Yes they are powerful and clear. But what about the output to the external speakers? I never tried that.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Djengis
Yes they are powerful and clear. But what about the output to the external speakers? I never tried that.

You just turn things down a bit.
Must admit if I was shopping for a DGX I wouldn't want the 670; I'd do my darndest for a 660. CFIII is nicer imo.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I assume there is no option to load the CFIII sound, or could it be done via software and the USB connection? I guess not since that would kind of undermine the need for a particular DP.
I too liked the CFIII very much and recorded many songs: Classical and impros within various genres.

DO you think one could approximate the wanted sound via the settings?

Last edited by Djengis; 02/20/21 08:59 AM.
M
M
Here's a ("sales") review/demo by Tony from Bonners Music:

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Djengis
I assume there is no option to load the CFIII sound, or could it be done via software and the USB connection? I guess not since that would kind of undermine the need for a particular DP.
I too liked the CFIII very much and recorded many songs: Classical and impros within various genres.

DO you think one could approximate the wanted sound via the settings?

The CFX on my P515 isn't one I can get really used to; the Virtual Resonance Modelling seems identical over all the voices and is not natural sounding imo. But if I turned it to zero . . .might work. But I shouldn't have to do that. My DGX650 had some resonances; could've done with more, but it was Ok with the decent reverbs that machine had. So I think you're in with a chance.if you want to take it.
Either way, it won't be that bad at all. Yamaha just don't do bad pianos.

"[Linked Image]"
Y
Yul Offline
Y
Hello! First time poster happy to be here.

I am a long time composer musician hobbyist mostly focused on ambient electronic music with some jazz and retro stuff.. I work at home but might need to set up my gear in small venues on occasion.

I need a simple keyboard with great (best?) all around acoustic sounds (not only piano) with a conservative budget.

I researched a few boards heavily in my budget with updated sample sets: PA700, PA1000, Krome EX, Casio CT-X5000, MODX. So arrangers yes and workstations too.

The DGX came to my view as the best sounding kit in this price range but the shortcomings (mainly the audio out) are giving me second thoughts.

Can anyone tell me if the output when connected to a mixer will provide enough juice for a good rendition on a PA?

The USB audio is certainly a good plus as I would render most tracks on my PC anyways.

Would the PSR-SX700 give me same or better sounds? What about the PA700-1000?

I am very agnostic to brands I just want the best sounds and ease of use to compose. I think the DGX is actually the best fit here but would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks

Last edited by Yul; 07/02/21 08:01 PM.
F
F
I had one. Had to return it but not because I didn't like it, just a family budget planning decision. But it did have some drawbacks.

The thing that sold it for me was getting the CFX sampled piano at $800. That's by far the best feature. I did not see anything else in that price range that was even remotely close in terms of sound quality. It's not perfect, but considering the P-515 is $1500 and the Clavinova series begins at $4 thousand U.S. dollars and goes up from there, it's not hard to live with some of the shortcomings. Even though the samples are the same as the Clavinova series the resulting quality is not quite as good, but still nicer than any other piano in this price range.

[As a side note, I have a Clavinoa CVP-701 that I'm selling, as well--fantastic instrument in impeccable condition, just a family budget decision.]

Back to the 670... the biggest shortcoming to me was the feel. The keys feel too heavy. I could really notice my speed and finesse negatively impacted when playing fast numbers. I'm left-handed by nature so anything that puts extra stress on my right hand is just not acceptable in a band setting. And while the organs and such sound great, not having drawbars is too limiting for a professional as it's hard to customize.

Half of the features on the instrument are beats and accompaniment features which a professional wouldn't want, with the exception maybe that the drum betas are a more interesting metronome to practice with. Also, the built-in speakers are a nice feature, but if you are playing with an external amplifier then the speakers are just a lot of extra space and weight that are useless once you plug into an amp.

For all the folks not impressed, can you point me to another keyboard in this price range you would recommend? The stores around here carry Casios, Rolands and Yamahas mostly and this was by far the best in that price range. Maybe the best option is just to get a cheaper board and get all the sounds you want from a computer?

Last edited by FrankL; 07/02/21 08:25 PM.
P
P
Originally Posted by FrankL
I had one. Had to return it but not because I didn't like it, just a family budget planning decision. But it did have some drawbacks.

The thing that sold it for me was getting the CFX sampled piano at $800. That's by far the best feature. I did not see anything else in that price range that was even remotely close in terms of sound quality. It's not perfect, but considering the P-515 is $1500 and the Clavinova series begins at $4 thousand U.S. dollars and goes up from there, it's not hard to live with some of the shortcomings. Even though the samples are the same as the Clavinova series the resulting quality is not quite as good, but still nicer than any other piano in this price range.

[As a side note, I have a Clavinoa CVP-701 that I'm selling, as well--fantastic instrument in impeccable I, just a family budget decision.]

Back to the 670... the biggest shortcoming to me was the feel. The keys feel too heavy. I could really notice my speed and finesse negatively impacted when playing fast numbers. I'm left-handed by nature so anything that puts extra stress on my right hand is just not acceptable in a band setting. And while the organs and such sound great, not having drawbars is too limiting for a professional as it's hard to customize.

Half of the features on the instrument are beats and accompaniment features which a professional wouldn't want, with the exception maybe that the drum betas are a more interesting metronome to practice with. Also, the built-in speakers are a nice feature, but if you are playing with an external amplifier then the speakers are just a lot of extra space and weight that are useless once you plug into an amp.

For all the folks not impressed, can you point me to another keyboard in this price range you would recommend? The stores around here carry Casios, Rolands and Yamahas mostly and this was by far the best in that price range. Maybe the best option is just to get a cheaper board and get all the sounds you want from a computer?

WOW... I think the DGX is way too light. It doesn't get close to the Steinway Ds from the college I study. I mean, it's a good digital piano... it won't sound as an expensive clavinova, but it sounds good. The features are pretty okay... the only thing, for me is, that you cannot practice on the DGX and expect the same ease for playing on some acoustic pianos. I'm more inclined to heavier actions... even with the hard2 curve it feels way too smooth for playing.

Some of the features I like: Sequencer, audio recording...
Something I wish was there: string resonance (playing notes quietly and then playing another note so the "strings" can resonate... a heavier touch... and possibly a third sensor...

apart from that... it is an instrument very good for its cost.

"But its got a crap keyboard action Dave ... no amount of great sounds help that."
Dr. Popper

Piano Student at University of São Paulo - Ribeirão Preto
Music Education Major Diploma at Music Department of FFCLRP - University of São Paulo
Ronisch Upright, P140 and DGX-670

T
T
Wow this wasn't even on my radar, but seems like it might be a really good value option to replace my elderly Roland Fantom. I couldn't find any specs about the audio out jack other than it's 1/4" stereo phones/output. The manual says you can connect headphones or external devices such as speakers. CFX samples, VRM, and "Super articulation" voices like the CVP, nice! I'm sure it pales in comparison to CVP, but will have to try it out! Another issue I see right off the bat is it's designed for the furniture stand to be played in a seated position. The back of the unit will look kind of cheesy on a stage stand, but if it sounds great... why not? grin

Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021, Arrived 4 Nov 2021
T
T
I actually like the look of the older DGX-660 better. It looks better suited to a stage setup, while the DGX-670 has some curvy retro look that only really works with the furniture stand designed for it. I'm guessing that was on purpose to keep it from cannibalizing sales from their stage and workstation models. From what I can see spec-wise, DGX-670 has voices, styles, and specs closer to the the level of the Tyros and CVP than many of the much more expensive stage and workstation keyboards (and even the CVP-701) in the lineup. In fact, comparing the DGX-670 directly with the CVP line-up, it almost looks like they took the DGX-660 action, then got a CVP-701 control board and removed the Bösendorfer, 2 "Natural!" voices, 2 live voices, kept all the Super Articulation voices, removed 50 accompaniment styles, and called it a day. I'd look forward to comparing the two side by side.

Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021, Arrived 4 Nov 2021
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TexasBear
I actually like the look of the older DGX-660 better. It looks better suited to a stage setup, while the DGX-670 has some curvy retro look that only really works with the furniture stand designed for it. I'm guessing that was on purpose to keep it from cannibalizing sales from their stage and workstation models. From what I can see spec-wise, DGX-670 has voices, styles, and specs closer to the the level of the Tyros and CVP than many of the much more expensive stage and workstation keyboards (and even the CVP-701) in the lineup. In fact, comparing the DGX-670 directly with the CVP line-up, it almost looks like they took the DGX-660 action, then got a CVP-701 control board and removed the Bösendorfer, 2 "Natural!" voices, 2 live voices, kept all the Super Articulation voices, removed 50 accompaniment styles, and called it a day. I'd look forward to comparing the two side by side.

They used to have a YPD version of the DGX 640. It was twice the price, around £1500. DSame speakers, same 6W per channel output.
It sounded very well.

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Point of inquiry - has it (in this here thread) been sufficiently established that the DGX670 has or has not received it’s due love?

I just read, for the first time, this here entire thread, in the early AM - EST America on July 4th 2021 , having done so just after reading posts to a different thread, different topic ( new user having midi-pedaling- sustain problems with their new fp30x) in which ABC suggested this may be a user/midi/driver setup problem but JoeT suspects it may be due to intentional albeit gradual increased manufacturer’s crippling of low-end DP functionality .... having read the aforementioned 2 threads one after the other gave me a telling, albeit comical impression of the love due, but i do not want to share it before asking whether this is okay for me to post .... which is to say, there appears to be rational reason for love lacking, but is it okay to say so here? I am all for somebody .... and even something in this case, getting some due love, but in paraphrasing the recent and profound voicing of observation by Sea Level, one person’s “ slippy” may be another person’s “perfect amount of love due”.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
The DGX-670 did get some significant updates from the DGX-660, but it was still quite a new model when this thread was started, there are problems in visiting music stores and music stores having anything to try out and possibly the majority of people here are not that interested in models like DGX-670, so the lack of love for it is understandable.

M
M
Hi, I finally ventured out today to check out the Yamaha DGX-670. Here are my impressions. Background: I am adult re-learner after several years as a child looking to upgrade. I also have children that are interested in taking lessons and will start as soon as possible.
My first thought is that it is very pretty. The one on the floor was black. The lights and buttons were tastefully arranged. There are lots of red and green lights so if you don’t like those colors they might bother you. I normally don’t like buttons on keyboards but somehow the layout worked. It looks much better in person than online and in videos. It has a slightly grainy texture in some spots and matte plastic in others. However, the front panel above the knees felt a little cheap and bendy. That panel was made with semi-shiny plastic.

The piano voice is beautiful and clear. Not a lot of oomph and bass but it sounds good with a bell-like quality. It’s definitely on the bright side, which Yamahas are known for. Overall, the tone was very pretty. A little on the thin, tinnier side, but clear and pleasant to my ears. If sound is the only thing that matters to you and you don’t need a powerful, boomy, loud sound this could be the one if you need to stay in this price range.

The action: To me, the action was disappointingly light and plasticky. The keys had very little depth of travel and looked short from front to back. The action wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either. I remember trying a P-125 a few years ago that felt better and more solid. I know the action is supposed be the same but it did not feel that way to me. Honestly, it only felt maybe one to one and a half steps above my Casio CDP-135 that I’ve had for a few years.

There was a KorgB behind it that surprisingly had an even better action than the DGX but the keys seemed too skinny and the sound wasn’t as good. I think the Korg would be good in pinch for the price, but for daily serious practice I would like something more substantial with a more expensive feel.

I kept walking back to the DGX-670. When I stood above it and looked down, I was surprised to see springs. Silver springs between the keys. Springs? Overall, it felt more like an expensive toy.

My daughter loved it. She was excited pby the pretty lights and sounds and color screen. I haven’t totally ruled it out. If I get it, I will get it with plans to move up. (Which kind of seems like a waste of money). My next stop will be to try out the Kawaii KDP-120 and Kawaii CA49. At this moment, I’m leaning toward one of those.

On a different note, I did try out the Roland PHA-4 action for the first time. I tried the Roland RD-2000, which had the same key action as the FP30x. The F30x was not in stock. He said as soon as the F30x’s come in they fly out the door. He suggested I try the RD-2000, which has the same action. I was excited to try it because it is highly touted on this forum and on YouTube. At first when I pressed the keys with one finger, I turned to him and said, “Wow. These keys aren’t heavy at all.” He said, “Trust me. They are”, with a knowing look. I began to play Solfeggietto (one of the few songs I know a little by heart ha, ha) It felt like walking through mud or quicksand and I couldn’t feel any escapement. It was a big no for me. I can’t see myself enjoying practicing on that action every day. I am over 45 years old and not looking for a finger workout. It took too much effort and the sound was just so-so.

Overall, the Yamaha DGX-670 has a lot of positives, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a serious or advanced student based on the key action. When I can try a Kawaii KDP-120 or CA49 I will probably make a final decision. I hope this helps those who haven’t been able to get into a store yet.

I would say, if you don’t care too much about the action and want to explore and noodle around and compose, and don’t need portability the DGX-670 might be a good fit. It has a lot of benefits; one of which is reliability and build quality. However, If you are looking for a piano replacement or looking for serious piano study, I would probably explore other options.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarlaJackspiano
On a different note, I did try out the Roland PHA-4 action for the first time. I tried the Roland RD-2000, which had the same key action as the FP30x. The F30x was not in stock. He said as soon as the F30x’s come in they fly out the door. He suggested I try the RD-2000, which has the same action. I was excited to try it because it is highly touted on this forum and on YouTube. At first when I pressed the keys with one finger, I turned to him and said, “Wow. These keys aren’t heavy at all.” He said, “Trust me. They are”, with a knowing look. I began to play Solfeggietto (one of the few songs I know a little by heart ha, ha) It felt like walking through mud or quicksand and I couldn’t feel any escapement. It was a big no for me. I can’t see myself enjoying practicing on that action every day. I am over 45 years old and not looking for a finger workout. It took too much effort and the sound was just so-so.

The FP-30X (PHA4) and RD-2000 (PHA50) have different actions - but they are more similar than they are different. I do agree that the PHA4 and PHA50 actions feel heavy, but I think it's more accurate to describe them as a slow action (vs. a fast action). I've had the FP30 for about 5 years, it forces me to be quicker on the draw; so my hands have to prepare more quickly, this is a big plus for practice and translates well to other actions; but, I also agree, there are more responsive actions that are more fun to play.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
M
M
Thanks for the clarifiction, Groove On! I see what you’re saying. Glad I got to try it, then. I’ve always wanted to play the PH-50 action, too! Thanks!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I guess the hackneyed arguments about GHS will just evoke dismissal from so many. And like so much in life, that action would be considered very good without comparisons to anything better.
And everything seems to have got better. The GHS on the Arius pianos seemd heaps better than earlier ones. maybe Yamaha have introduced the New GHS but would rather keep it under their hats.
And this New GHS doesn't seem to apply to the DGX 670.
Shame!
And last time I played around with the Clavs 700s, their Grand Touch S (found on their lesser CLP models) was a distinct improvement to the degree I could see myself buying one for the action alone. Key length seemed much mproved.
So it's always worth trying before you buy. You really don't know what you'll get if you don't..

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
.....And like so much in life .....

Peterws, i hope you like this digressive throwback from a fellow Englander who once upon a time reminisced about things in life.

For the life of me, after hours searching i could not find the info about make or brand of piano Kit used for this production 😐 ....like so much in life, the information-age seems to have misplaced this info ftom 1997 .... perhaps one of PW’s roving experts who say they always know “ dp or ap?” will iD . 🙂

Peace,
-drew

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Very nice indeed! I guess his pianoo was only a small part of that lovely L/M piece.
As for nostalgia, well . . . .my efforts! On a roland FP50

Last edited by peterws; 07/25/21 03:03 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bach Marcello Adagio Melody
by tjkane - 12/09/21 08:45 AM
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,724
Members103,566
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission