2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
91 members (benQF, anotherscott, 36251, ambrozy, Bob Husband, Animisha, 1903wrightflyer, AlphaTerminus, 18 invisible), 798 guests, and 676 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LeZokk Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My local piano dealer leases for concert grand piano in my city. I was inquiring recently about buying a grand piano when I was informed that this year they were selling one of their Steinway D, who's only been played for the past few years, at a good discount from new (around 30%, maybe a bit more later on).

My understanding is that despite being relatively young, around 5 years old, the piano will be far more used than a privately owned one. Yet after preliminary inspection, hammers were in relatively good shape, no damage to the soundboard, cosmetic scratches but nothing unusual for a piano used for many concerts and a great sound. A piano technician would be hired to fully inspect the piano if I were to proceed.

I was wondering as I am not a technician if you would strongly advise against buying such a piano as it would come with problems that would be costly to fix in the long term. one problem I have been told to look for is a looser pin block due to the number of tunings done to it. What should I watch for? should I wait for a privately owned one but certainly older Steinway D for the price point? I seem to be in a rare situation as very little information about used concert hall piano seems to exist. I would be glad about any information one could provide me.

Thanks for your help.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
N
N W Offline
N
In my mind the biggest question is "why are they selling it?"
If it's no longer up to scratch would you want it?
In my experience (and I mean only mine) used concert grands are only disposed of when they have lost their personality.
Just my opinion and each case will be different of course.
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
L
LeZokk Offline OP
OP Offline
L
It was my first question and they seem to have a regular change of concert grand as often when an artist such as Kissin or Martha Argerich come to perform they will be able to select a piano from Steinway for multiple concerts in the region. Then the shop as they organized the delivery tunning etc of the piano gets to keep/buy (seems like a grey area) the piano and use it for Steinway artist concerts and/or lease it to a concert hall. So as they have a high supply they can afford to only keep the "fresher" pianos.

However, this I what I was told and the piano might have damage I didn't find. which is why I would hire a technician before making any decision. I am more curious about what I should look for and expect. In terms of sound, it was still in great shape, in need of a voicing in the treble but much better than some 20 years old Steinway's I've tried. I am worried however about the pin block as mentioned due to the amount of tunning.

J
J
Have a technician make an assessment and then you hopefully won’t have any mysteries about its condition.

Though for me I’d be concerned about paying that much. If there’s something special about this piano, if you play it and are mesmerised, and it’s worth it to you then go for it. But if you’re interested because of a 30% discount you could very likely get a nice D for less if you look around and are patient. You could certainly get a B for much less if you’re not determined to get a concert grand size. And unless you’re determined to get a Steinway, you could find other nice pianos for even less.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Have the technician inspect the V-bar for proper shape and test it to determine if it was hardened. Avoid pianos with hardened V-bars.

Inspect it carefully looking for any sign it has been dropped and damaged.

30% off new is too high. If you had to sell it you would be lucky to get 70% off the new cost.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
L
LeZokk Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I reside in Europe where even used Steinway go for a lot of money, instrument less than 10 years old are rarely seen at great discount. A lot of 2005-10 Steinway B still easily sell for above 80/90 000 dollars where I reside.

Thanks, the V-bar will be properly checked, i wouldn't have thought of it thank you. for the price, the piano is advertised at a 30% discount but knowing the shop the final price would be closer to 35/40% there's always room for some haggling.

So if after inspection by a competent technician and a price reduction would it be a good purchase or would an ex concert hall piano hide too many flaws that would reveal themselves later on due to an "accelerated" aging process?

I am not deadset on this piano it just seems like an interesting opportunity I wanted to explore as a good steinway D as been a dream piano of mine. (before anyone ask i am exploring different european option like steingraeber, Bosendorfer; and love the yamaha CF line)

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Shigeru Kawai also worth considering, if you are in the Yamaha CF, Bosendorfer, Steingraeber league.

J
J
Originally Posted by LeZokk
I reside in Europe where even used Steinway go for a lot of money, instrument less than 10 years old are rarely seen at great discount. A lot of 2005-10 Steinway B still easily sell for above 80/90 000 dollars where I reside.

I am not deadset on this piano it just seems like an interesting opportunity I wanted to explore as a good steinway D as been a dream piano of mine. (before anyone ask i am exploring different european option like steingraeber, Bosendorfer; and love the yamaha CF line)

Not meaning to say anything negative about Steinway’s—I’ve heard a couple of D’s which were more beautiful than any other piano I’ve heard. But there are other really nice piano brands which may inspire you equally at a lower price. I have a 1951 Mason & Hamlin BB and I replaced the hammers, shanks, and flanges, and I love it. A Steinway D would have to be a pretty special one to lure me away (where I teach there are two D’s and I’d never trade my BB for them).

Personally I think it’s impossible to say with certainty what will happen to a piano if it’s not currently showing any issues to a knowledgable technician. Even with a simple tuning every piano reacts differently—I routinely see pianos defy convention and expectations. If a trusted technician says this D is currently in good shape just go with that.

S
S
A Steinway D, even at a 35-40% discount, is still a lot of money! I would definitely want to be completely over the moon about the piano if I were considering it, and I would definitely spend the time looking at pianos from other manufacturers (as it seems you are doing). As well as getting it inspected.
To the question about why a relatively new piano is being sold… I have no way of knowing, but it seems possible that if performances are down due to COVID, and if concert venues are financially strained, there may be fewer leasing opportunities for the dealer, and therefore, it makes more financial sense to sell some of the pianos that they were otherwise leasing. Or, as has been suggested, it may have lost its concert personality. I’m just speculating…

N
N W Offline
N
I would also ask you...how big is the room you are thinking of putting it in?
Sound splashes back at you from all the surfaces in the room and a piano that size doesn't always sound good in restricted circumstances.
Nick

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
That is also basically my question, although I will frame it differently: Just why do you want a D? Is it because you believe bigger is better?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
L
LeZokk Offline OP
OP Offline
L
in terms of room size, it is not a concern, I live in a large house and my living room is a piano room first with a tv in the corner for guests. around 70m2 and 4m in height. I have tried concert grand in a much smaller room and they were okay.

bigger is not always better but in this case, it is. I have played many disappointing B, yet great A but I already own a piano in a similar size and wish to own a concert grand. Just as no one needs a Ferrari, a concert grand is my Ferrari. Also, I don't think anyone can't deny the joy of playing those rumbling bass notes on a 9 foot piano. I am past the point of being sensible or logical. Very few individuals genuinely "need" a concert grand, but it's the closest thing I will ever get to feel like Horowitz and smile. It's just fun.

if you meant why a steinway D in particular, i just happened to have the option to buy one in my price range and it plays fantastic. But it doesn't have to be a D.

I am not shopping for a concert grand specifically but my price range allows me to consider it, some modern 7 foot piano sounds just as good as some larger ones I have tried.

also, I hate my neighbors.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
You have nice tall ceilings. This will go a long way to making a D work in your room. It gives enough room for the ceiling reflection to be not so abrupt.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is this a Hamburg D you are looking at or a NY D?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
L
LeZokk Offline OP
OP Offline
L
it's the one reason i chose this house haha, one large room with high ceiling, and i plan on getting a few GIK acoustic panels if necessary.

it is a Hamburg D steinway.

L
LeZokk Offline OP
OP Offline
L
it's the one reason i chose this house haha, one large room with high ceiling, and i plan on getting a few GIK acoustic panels if necessary.

it is a Hamburg D steinway.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
As already advised, a thorough inspection (and I might add pay extra to tune the entire instrument) should be performed by someone you know and trust. But the likelihood of there being anything seriously wrong from a manufacturing standpoint is actually quite slim. My suspicion is that it is simply a cash flow generating opportunity. I assume of course that it is being sold with a full "replenished" five year warranty (read it carefully). Yes?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
L
LeZokk Offline OP
OP Offline
L
yes, it will have a 5 year warranty, i will demand a copy of it to read it shortly.

i am not expecting a default in manufacturing more an used pin block and strings due to numerous tunning as it was use for concerts and constantly moved, maybe even a pitch raised. i will be receiving more information about what was done on the piano shortly.

also if anyone can advise on how to check if the piano lyre is in adequate condition. the shop doesn't lyre tilt as far as i know but some performer can't be spirited with their pedalling let's say.

i am not concerned about buying a used piano but by a used piano that served as a concert piano for a few years (not many considering the lack of concert for the past year and a half)

N
N W Offline
N
Maybe it's a bit like buying a used car. In this case a used hire car. You know it's been driven as if it was stolen by every hirer, but then again you know it's been maintained properly....
Decisions decisions.....
Nick

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
You should accompany your tech to the inspection and tuning so as to bring up anyb and all concerns to be checked to your satisfaction.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yundi Li arrested
by Sidokar - 10/26/21 05:36 AM
A thought experiment
by cygnusdei - 10/26/21 03:58 AM
Modern U where is the sample folder located?
by MooganDavid - 10/25/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,749
Posts3,142,129
Members103,118
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission