2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (AaronSF, 13bwl, beeboss, Boboulus, Alex C, Animisha, Beemer, BravoRomeo, anotherscott, 15 invisible), 908 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
Yes, old school - very old school - here!

Funny you should use that phrase. For a lot of people self-teaching on these forums these days there is no “old school”. There’s no teacher looking over your shoulder and keeping you on the beat with a ruler tapping and reinforcing your counting aloud if you start to lose track.

Of course we should all count on our own and count correctly, but it’s like any learning process, we’re not all 100% perfect on the day we start learning, and sometimes we need a little help.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by TBell
Does any of the aforementioned metronomes have a cowbell sound?

I use the Metronome Pro app pretty much like an old school metronome, adjusting only the metronome speed. However, I just looked at it and it has 12 different sounds to choose from (number 13 is count out loud). Some of them are pretty annoying sounding, TBH. Number 1 is very generic sounding and is what I have always used. Number 10 sounds rather like a cowbell to me.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by TBell
Does any of the aforementioned metronomes have a cowbell sound?

Haha, do you have a preference for a cowbell sound? The one I mentioned, TE Tuner, has 2, conveniently called “Cowbell 1” and “Cowbell 2”.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 07/05/21 11:09 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
C
Csj24 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Goodness, there's more to metronomes than I realized! 😄 I had no idea. I guess I will give the free ones a try first and pass up the neat looking, but probably less practical Seth Thomas one I found on Marketplace. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have around 8 metronome apps - but I keep going back to Pro Metronome. It’s not my favorite metronome, but it works in landscape mode, (one the few that do). Landscape mode is important if you’re charging the phone or have a line out to the speakers. Plus my other audio apps all work in landscape mode, so it’s annoying to have to keep twisting the phone around just for the metronome!

My favorite metronome app is from Kawaii; nice solid design with 3 types of visual feedback at the same time (including a pendulum). Alas, the Kawaii metronome app doesn’t work in landscape mode … urgh ….

Touch Metronome by Kawaii
https://cm.kawai.jp/products-en/km/

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fatar760
Originally Posted by BruceD
The potential problem with a do-everything metronome app is that for some people - did you read that I wrote "some people"? - the extra features become a crutch and discourage the user from working out timing issues for him/herself. Why do I need a metronome that verbally counts the beats when I should be doing that myself? Why do I need a metronome that tells me which beat is the first beat, when I should be working that out myself.

Yes, old school - very old school - here!

Regards,

Old school does not equal wrong though, Bruce. It's nice to have gimmicks and more modern ways of helping someone count but, ultimately, the player needs to be able to do it themselves and not rely on tech telling them if they're right or wrong.
I agree with both of the above and personally think a traditional metronome is superior to an app. Besides the reasons already mentioned above I'll add:

1. Having your phone in front of you during practice can be very distracting. If you must use it at least put it on airplane mode to avoid getting all the notifications. Personally, I prefer to just store it away completely.

2. An accoustic grand piano is quite loud. I found that to hear the metronome sound coming from a phone I have to use a very annoying high pitched sound rather than the traditional "tok-tok". I know you can have a visual cue but to me that is another annoyance/distraction when I'm trying to focus on the music.

3. This is a personal bias but I prefer the authentic feel of a real wooden metronome standing on the piano.

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
The main attraction of a traditional metronome is the visual cues like a conductor in an orchestra waving a stick.

I’m stuck with a phone or a portable since I move around too much. Anything that sits on the table is not practical to carry around.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I use the soundbrenner app. There is a nice one I found for polyrhythms, but I don't use it often. I hate metronomes in general, only use them when I have to. They detract from the rhythm of a piece of music.

Edit: Don't take this too seriously if you're a beginner with issues with counting. Seriously though, count out loud while you play. It works better than a metronome in many situations imo.

I would not want a physical metronome beside me as I would feel an irresistible urge to burn the thing!

Last edited by ranjit; 07/06/21 03:42 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ranjit
I would not want a physical metronome beside me as I would feel an irresistible urge to burn the thing!

Are you an arsonist that can't find the time...?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I use the soundbrenner app. There is a nice one I found for polyrhythms, but I don't use it often. I hate metronomes in general, only use them when I have to. They detract from the rhythm of a piece of music.

Edit: Don't take this too seriously if you're a beginner with issues with counting. Seriously though, count out loud while you play. It works better than a metronome in many situations imo.

A physical metronome is not just useful for counting rhythmic patterns but also for learning to maintain a steady beat

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R

Are you an arsonist that can't find the time...?
Yep, unfortunately too busy practicing...

L
L
I want to give a shout-out for Speakbeat. I’ve never been able to use a metronome and my teacher says its not unusual. I read about Speakbeat on one of the forums and downloaded it. I LOVE it! It really works for me, and has done wonders for my rhythm. Showed it to my teacher and she thought it was great; she also could see the improvement in my rhythm.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Nowadays many musicians prefer visual metronome. It's usually a smartphone applications with a ball moving from one edge of the screen to another. For many people it's easier to follow visual rhythm than aural rhythm. Think of a conductor's hands. Besides, visual metronome doesn't interfere with music, therefore it allows to hear more nuances, it's not as annoying as aural metronome, and also you can use it on stage without an in-ear monitor.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Nowadays many musicians prefer visual metronome. It's usually a smartphone applications with a ball moving from one edge of the screen to another. For many people it's easier to follow visual rhythm than aural rhythm. Think of a conductor's hands. Besides, visual metronome doesn't interfere with music, therefore it allows to hear more nuances, it's not as annoying as aural metronome, and also you can use it on stage without an in-ear monitor.

Interesting. Do you have any particular recommendations?

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Seiko has an updated visual metronome with a traditional arm. It has a few advantages, including quartz accuracy and the choice of sound output (speaker or 3.5mm headphone out).
[Linked Image]
https://www.sii.co.jp/music/english/products/metronome/epm5000.html

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

Interesting. Do you have any particular recommendations?

I can say regarding Android. A simple one with a ball moving from side to side is called Metronome Beats. If you want a fancy one try Metronome & Time Trainer by Justinguitar. There are others, I just don't know their names.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I use a wittner taktell piccolo, some 30 years old, still doing fine.

Never need new batteries, no picking up any device, logon or other fuss like updating, other stuff interrupting me, need of charging or these other "needs" of these devices. It stands just next to my piano, I can almost reach it blind, just give it a slight push, it's still set to the mark where I was practicing at yesterday.

I don't need different bell tones etc. Just clicks at set speed so that I can keep track of my progress (or lack of it)

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
I use a wittner taktell piccolo
That has a nice sound and style.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES520 vx FP-90 action
by puremusic - 05/17/22 01:04 PM
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,112
Posts3,192,233
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission