2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3134523 07/04/21 05:22 PM
C
Csj24 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Are there good apps that work well, or is it better to have an actual physical metronome? How about the cool looking old mechanical ones? Are they too big a pain to use?

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I prefer apps. I used the free Sound Brenner since I started but have since bought TE Tuner with metronome as it’s able to do more complicated rhythms.

Kawai K500
C
Csj24 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the recommendation! A free app is probably better for a beginner than an expensive physical metronome. 😄 Those antique ones are cool though!

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
With a metronome app, you can set a different sound for the first beat or have different rhythm. It's useful if you want to learn to swing or practice triplet.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

J
J
There's lots of benefits to using an app. Much more flexibility for your setting (my mechanical only goes down to 40, for example). You can adjust more precisely vs. the preset numbers on the mechanical. You can adjust the volume or just use a flashing light if you prefer. It will continue forever without winding. It is also nice sometimes to have the first beat louder.

All that said...most of the time I use my little Taktell Piccolo because it's right there and I'm too lazy to go grab my phone. laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I don't think one is better than another, it depends on preference. I use both a mechanical, Wittner Piccolo, and the app mentioned below. I like the app because I can set the tempo then lock my phone or flip it over that way I don't see it as I prefer to just listen to the click. I would suggest both then you can switch it up or use whichever one in you're in the mood for.

I also use this one and the pro version was something like $3 I think.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I prefer a physical, pocket-sized, Korg MA2 metronome. It's cheap (£10) , and sits permanently on my music stand, within easy reach.

Problem with phone apps is that it's very easy to get distracted by other *stuff* as soon as you unlock your phone. Plus, the metronome apps I've found are littered with ads and a bit long-winded.

Korg metronome also works as a tuner if I need it.

Edited to add:

Also, if I'm at a gig I'd much rather check a tempo with a metronome then get my phone out in the pit, which looks unprofessional, in my view.

Last edited by fatar760; 07/04/21 07:02 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I have soundBrenner core..it’s a pulse against your body. It works for me. I tried all the apps and physical metronome- couldn’t focus with it..it was distracting. You gotta find what works for you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The wind-up, pyramid shaped classic metronomes just go better with acoustic pianos.
For a digital, an app or an electronic one works

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I have an acoustic piano, and two metronomes: the wooden, wind-up from my childhood and a cellphone app. I only keep the windup one for sentimental reasons. I find the cellphone app to be much more flexible.

Last edited by dogperson; 07/04/21 09:41 PM. Reason: Typo
S
S
One of the advantages of the app based ones is that you can get them to count aloud instead of clicking.

I don’t use this all the time, because I want to be able to count myself, but it’s useful to check that you’re counting right.

I have a habit of getting out of sync by two whole beats sometimes. With a click I wouldn’t know I’m doing it. With the count I hear “Three” and I think “hold on, that should have been on the first beat”.

I use the SpeakBeat app.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
P
P
Originally Posted by Sebs
I don't think one is better than another, it depends on preference. I use both a mechanical, Wittner Piccolo, and the app mentioned below. I like the app because I can set the tempo then lock my phone or flip it over that way I don't see it as I prefer to just listen to the click. I would suggest both then you can switch it up or use whichever one in you're in the mood for.

I also use this one and the pro version was something like $3 I think.
Just a word of warning. The Android app was last updated in 2016 and some users report compatibility issues that prevent the app from running. I won't buy the pro version straight away but try the free version first or choose another app.

August Förster upright (sold). Kawai ES8 (sold). Kawai NV5S.
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
I have Pro Metronome app on my phone with all the features I needed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also have a rectangular portable in my violin case. It doesn't add any weight to my case so I just leave it. I travel all over the map so an old metronome that used to sit on the table is somewhere in storage. The old mechanical ones that still work are probably worth something as antique collectibles.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I love my Pro Metronome app. And my Soundbrenner app. I have both and sometimes, when I switch a lot between two pieces, it feels easier to use one metronome for one piece, and the other one for the other piece.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a preference for physical metronomes so I am biased, but if the below is of any value:

I like the BOSS DB-60 which helps me program an entire piece with varying rhythms and patterns. Having said that, I used it only once or twice to learn certain measures of pieces. The only thing I don't like about this metronome is it's beep sound and it's a big deal for me, for I prefer the "wood block" sound.

For pieces with simple rhythms I like the Korg KDM-3.

But by far, I default start with and use (or try to) the Matrix MR600 as far as I can - it just keeps a steady beat, with a wooden block sound, and forces me to count in my head rather than relying on a device for rhythm.

---
Yes, I have a lot of metronomes - please don't ask :-)

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by mmatthew
[...]
But by far, I default start with and use (or try to) the Matrix MR600 as far as I can - it just keeps a steady beat, with a wooden block sound, and forces me to count in my head rather than relying on a device for rhythm.
---

The potential problem with a do-everything metronome app is that for some people - did you read that I wrote "some people"? - the extra features become a crutch and discourage the user from working out timing issues for him/herself. Why do I need a metronome that verbally counts the beats when I should be doing that myself? Why do I need a metronome that tells me which beat is the first beat, when I should be working that out myself.

Yes, old school - very old school - here!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]
---

The potential problem with a do-everything metronome app is that for some people - did you read that I wrote "some people"? - the extra features become a crutch and discourage the user from working out timing issues for him/herself. Why do I need a metronome that verbally counts the beats when I should be doing that myself? Why do I need a metronome that tells me which beat is the first beat, when I should be working that out myself.

Regards,

Old school does not equal wrong though, Bruce. It's nice to have gimmicks and more modern ways of helping someone count but, ultimately, the player needs to be able to do it themselves and not rely on tech telling them if they're right or wrong.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Does any of the aforementioned metronomes have a cowbell sound?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]
---

Regards,

My teacher has me only use a click on down beats on whatever metronome I use. He strongly suggests that I sub-divide myself and I have been following that guidance, even for swinging I could use the app but instead he has me feel the beat and or count it out manually while the click is very simple, one click per beat. So far I have been liking this method, I'm sure there are cases or pianist that prefer hearing a click wherever they need it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission