2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (Beansparrow, c++, An Old Square, accordeur, BravoRomeo, 36251, 15 invisible), 692 guests, and 509 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The purpose is to listen while playing organ vst (jorgan, pianoteq, some synths...).

I dont care about stereo. I already have a pair of small monitors very suitable for piano. The room has awful acoustic and actually it doesn't matter how i place the monitors, there's no stereo imaging at all, wich really do not bothers me. I can play piano with them and that's enough.

But i can't play organ with them so i want a bigger one for that purpose, and i wonder if just a big one, just one, would be enough.

I know usually monitors go in pairs but i guess that's for studio tasks like mastering and mixing. As im not going to do nothing like that, my idea comes, getting just one, place it anywhere in the room, and be happy. My idea is a 8" woofer, kind of krk rokit 8 or behringer or similar.

As to why monitors and not hifi speakers i guess the boundary beetwen them is blurry nowadays, and when i google for hifi speakers yamaha hs5 appear on top. Also hifi speakers have a narrower frequency response (they don't go as low as monitors). And also I'm not familiar with the hifi stuff.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ubu
The purpose is to listen while playing organ vst (jorgan, pianoteq, some synths...).

I dont care about stereo. I already have a pair of small monitors very suitable for piano. The room has awful acoustic and actually it doesn't matter how i place the monitors, there's no stereo imaging at all, wich really do not bothers me. I can play piano with them and that's enough.

But i can't play organ with them so i want a bigger one for that purpose, and i wonder if just a big one, just one, would be enough.

I know usually monitors go in pairs but i guess that's for studio tasks like mastering and mixing. As im not going to do nothing like that, my idea comes, getting just one, place it anywhere in the room, and be happy. My idea is a 8" woofer, kind of krk rokit 8 or behringer or similar.

As to why monitors and not hifi speakers i guess the boundary beetwen them is blurry nowadays, and when i google for hifi speakers yamaha hs5 appear on top. Also hifi speakers have a narrower frequency response (they don't go as low as monitors). And also I'm not familiar with the hifi stuff.

If you don't care about stereo then why are you asking?

It's very rare that monitor speakers come in a pair... good monitor speakers always come in single units.

There is a big difference between monitor speakers and hi-fi systems.

I'd pick Yamaha HS8.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You should only use one monitor if you have only one ear.

Otherwise you'll lose the spaciousness we've become accustomed to in the world of stereo.

Mono was dying in the 1960s. Today mono is only a teenage disease. smile

Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Abdol
Originally Posted by Ubu

If you don't care about stereo then why are you asking?

Because I'm no expert, and when i look in gearspace it seems there's a dogma among studio guys, that you should always use the monitors in pairs.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
You should only use one monitor if you have only one ear.

Otherwise you'll lose the spaciousness we've become accustomed to in the world of stereo.

Mono was dying in the 1960s. Today mono is only a teenage disease. smile

I know I'm loosing stereo, but there's too much work to do if you want that. The place where i am know is not suitable for that. I want to play, i don't want to loose my mind around gear and acoustics.

Besides that, time ago i attended a music school where they had pipe organ rooms for practice. Of course no real pipes, but digital instead. And the amp system was a single very big speaker on the side of the console. Maybe 16" woofer, i don't know, i just remember it was very big. The sound was terrific. I remember passing by when the organists where practicing, and just stopping there and listening and enjoying.

Anyway I've been searching monitors and behringer b2031a seems a very good option at good price point. And is sold in pairs. Maybe i will get it and use it alone or in pairs, depending on my mood and the circumstances.

I also like krk rockit 10. This one is more expensive and maybe an overkill for what i need.

Frontal bass reflex is a must, so really i have not a lot of options in the low price range.

So your thread title "Is a good idea to use just one monitor?" should be change to "I am using just one monitor", right?

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Ubu
. . . I already have a pair of small monitors very suitable for piano. The room has awful acoustic and actually it doesn't matter how i place the monitors, there's no stereo imaging at all, wich really do not bothers me. I can play piano with them and that's enough.

You should consider adding a single subwoofer to the speakers you already own.

You don't need a lot of power - you're not in a dance club. You _do_ need a decently large woofer -- 8" or more -- to get the low frequency response and volume needed for organ pedal tones (or the lowest octave of organ 16' stops).

Low frequencies (we're talking 20-100 Hz) have very little directional information, to our ears. So one subwoofer should be enough.

I don't know what available on the market. For "pro audio" gear, there's a tendency to make subwoofers with high-power amps and speakers -- and therefore, expensive. You might consider a "surround-sound" subwoofer, meant for TV and/or hi-fi use.

KRK makes some 8" subwoofers that might do the job nicely. With "only" 100 watts, they should be just right for filling in the low frequencies missing from your current monitors.

The JBL LSR310S (10", 200 watts) has a lot more power -- likely more than you'll need in a "live" room. Similar units from Yamaha (HS8S) and PreSonus.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 06/30/21 04:12 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I think pipe organ is one of the instruments which I would definitely want to hear in stereo and have as much stereo effect is possible. Surround sound would probably be even better. With one monitor you will lose the spacious beauty of the organ sound.

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I think pipe organ is one of the instruments which I would definitely want to hear in stereo and have as much stereo effect is possible. Surround sound would probably be even better. With one monitor you will lose the spacious beauty of the organ sound.

Sit in a church, listen to the pipe organ (if you can find one), and tell me:

. . . From what direction are the lowest pedal-notes coming?

The sound fills the church; it has no identifiable source. That's what a subwoofer (with no high-frequency output at all) should do.

If you want "stereo effect", you need high frequencies. Stereo localization depends on phase differences (and volume differences) between left and right ears. At low frequencies, those phase differences are very small -- the brain doesn't have the information it needs, to localize the sound.

That's what I was taught, anyway.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
P
P
There’s a reason why every single DP with built-in speakers is stereo. Even the cheapest ones at Best Buy. These manufacturers put in two sets of amps and speakers. Double the cost. They’re not stupid. That second speaker delivers more perceptible value per dollar than almost any other feature. Cheap DP: no line outs, crappy keybed, crappy piano tone, etc. But it’s got stereo speakers.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

Sit in a church, listen to the pipe organ (if you can find one), and tell me:

. . . From what direction are the lowest pedal-notes coming?

The sound fills the church; it has no identifiable source. That's what a subwoofer (with no high-frequency output at all) should do.

If you want "stereo effect", you need high frequencies. Stereo localization depends on phase differences (and volume differences) between left and right ears. At low frequencies, those phase differences are very small -- the brain doesn't have the information it needs, to localize the sound.

That's what I was taught, anyway.
I'm not against adding a subwoofer, I'm against a single monitor idea.

C
C
For acoustic piano sounds in a small room, use stereo. For electric piano and jazz/rock organ, mono is fine. Playing a big hall, mono is fine, even for acoustic sounds.

Last edited by ColoRodney; 06/30/21 10:11 PM.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
F
F
If you don't care for stereo sound, this shouldn't be a problem.

A
A
I was practicing for around a week using single Boss S1 unit. For acoustic piano it was terrible. It was fine for Hammond, Rhodes and some synth sounds so I bet it would be fine for 'church organ' kind of sound. I don't think pipe organs are very stereo in their nature.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I did an experiment and unplugged one of my monitors. Then i played on the keyboard. The difference from 2 to 1 is very small. I can live with that.

I'm not saying stereo is not a good thing, but in the man cave i use as a piano room, acoustics kill almost any difference beetwen mono and stereo.

So i got my answer. I need another place, ha ha. Meanwhile one speaker will be enough.

A
A
I play about 95% of the time via headphones, but also have an old pair of 8" hifi speakers connected via a power amp if I wish.

However occasionally I plug in into either a 160 watt, 2x12, all tube guitar amp or a 200 watt bass guitar amp with a 4x8 cabinet. I don't play particularly loud, but the larger speakers do sound tremendous even though its all mono.

Go with what you want.

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
If you are using one monitor, maybe you can find an organ VI that has a mono mic. Alternatively you can pick a way to blend the stereo left and right channels.

I don't play organ but have tried Hauptwerk with stereo monitors and a big subwoofer. The subwoofer is awesome with the lower registers of the organ (the difference with piano sounds is very subtle). A good subwoofer at any volume will irritate neighbours. Good subwoofers are big, expensive, and require effort to set up properly.

That said, I found an old 3 piece computer monitor set up (with small bass module) from Altec Lansing that I really like, so that is another option. Maybe your small monitors have a matching sub?

Note the massive bass sound of a pipe organ might destroy consumer or computer speakers. I suppose some professional monitors might do better.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Random thought, OT and not organ-related>

In the "split" mode of certain DPs, different outputs are sent to left and right speakers. Yamaha P45 for example, although that doesn't have line outs. I am wondering if this will impact wanting to use a single monitor.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Usually DPs with separate L & R outputs will produce stereo when both are pluggined in. But when only one is plugged in (marked eg L/mono) it knows this and creates mono sound for that output. If the DP only has headphones for output, its only possible to be plugged in in stereo, but maybe there is a setting to change to mono.

[Linked Image]

Adult beginner. Roland DP. Get your personal pianist emojis: Emoji Me App
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
There’s a reason why every single DP with built-in speakers is stereo. Even the cheapest ones at Best Buy. These manufacturers put in two sets of amps and speakers. Double the cost. They’re not stupid. That second speaker delivers more perceptible value per dollar than almost any other feature. Cheap DP: no line outs, crappy keybed, crappy piano tone, etc. But it’s got stereo speakers.

Not every digital keyboard or piano with a left and right channel output is stereo. To be stereo, it also has to have stereo samples, and not all digital keyboards do. Some have stereo samples for some patches, but may also have mono samples.

For home practice I believe that stereo is essential. But most pianos come with built-in speakers now, so if your external monitor plays in mono, that might not matter, depending on where you place it. For band gigs, I believe it's less important (but still useful) to have stereo monitoring. If you don't have it, you might want to use a mono patch, which could be better for the final mix anyway. But I'll be tempted to bring my own small stereo system to the next stage gig, and feed the main PA from it. I'm still experimenting with my built-in speakers, but they often direct the sound where I don't want it on stage, and they don't give a full sound anyway. They might be OK combined with a 6 or 8 inch additionall monitor.

Yamaha P-255 & Yamaha P-80
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,276
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission