2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (36251, Colin Miles, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Lots of good suggestions here. Yeah in today's market you have to compromise. I would love to have a high ceiling room but it's been so hard to find it.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Lots of good suggestions here. Yeah in today's market you have to compromise. I would love to have a high ceiling room but it's been so hard to find it.

Non-load bearing walls can be taken out for that open floor plan look that’s been “in” since the early 1990’s.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Saying "I must have enough space for a S&S B" isn't really that different from "I must have at least a 2 car garage" or "I must have an extra room for an office" or "I must have a large backyard". All of those are additional constraints placed on a home beyond it's basics to make a house work for specific people. Maybe they have an interest in cars (garage), work-from-home or stream (office), or like to relax outside (large backyard).

This is excellent. I really think myself as a minority when I prioritize my piano, but I'm not a minority on this forum!

VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
X
X
Originally Posted by dogperson
If you want to eventually have a relationship, I don’t think a living room with piano and a couple of bean bag chairs would be an appealing configuration to a potential partner.

I'm going to disagree with this. What says class better than a massive Steinway!?
I think this will score the OP big points.

If she's not into pianos.... dump her.

C
C
This isn't too hard if you live alone and don't entertain much (like me). And can afford something other than a small apartment. You just turn the dining room if you have one into a room for the piano, and then don't eat at a dining room table. Which I don't do, anyway, I just eat with a plate watching TV or at the most, a TV tray. Actually, I know lots of people who just have so much junk piled on top of the dining room table they can't use it anyway. Of course it would also work just to have a second bedroom you use for that, or a den (which is often what the extra room is in some apartments which often means it has no windows so can't be legally called a bedroom with no egress).

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ChristinaW
[...]Of course it would also work just to have a second bedroom you use for that, or a den (which is often what the extra room is in some apartments which often means it has no windows so can't be legally called a bedroom with no egress).

And if the apartment is on the 37th floor, does it still have to have a window for "egress" in order for it to be called a bedroom. Just askin' smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The good news about using a dining room for the piano is that there might be a chandelier for the lighting!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Harpuia
I mentioned in another thread that I was saving up for my first home, and I’m finally in the housing market now. By currently owning a 7-foot piano in an apartment, the first thing I think about when I see a new home is where should my Steinway B go? In the living room? Can I put it upstairs?

The reality is that the housing market at Bay Area is crazy right now and I could only afford a 3-bedroom Townhouse even if I stretch my budget. The layout of many homes were not designed for having a semi concert grand. A 7-foot will occupy a third of the living room, or half of the bedroom.

Now I wish I bought a model M instead of the model B! Sure I can physically fit the model B in any living room but that means I can only fit half of other furniture. I won’t have this problem with a model M. But maybe I will miss the deep bass of the model B. I’m so glad that I didn’t go crazy and buy a 9 foot at that time!

I’m currently putting both my Steinway B and Yamaha N3X in my current living room and it looks like a tiny piano teaching studio. I’m fine with that right now since I only live here temporarily but I don’t want that to be the case in my long term home. I’ll probably sell my N3X and buy a slab like Kawai ES920 or something.

I have dreamed about owning a 7-foot piano (especially a Steinway B) for 3 years. I don’t know if I would be happy when I bought my house and found I can’t fit a 7-foot piano. I didn’t care as much about a house as a 7-foot piano. When I bought my B I really felt this as a milestone in my life. I don’t want to part with it and now it’s time for me to find a good place to house it. It’s tough!

If it's your dream, then it's a no brainer. Buy the B and figure out where to put it later. Don't meander and miss out like alot of other people would. Go after what you want with a strong conviction. Otherwise what's the point? Life's too short

Last edited by itsfreakingmeout; 06/30/21 05:39 PM.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
A.
One can save a lot of space by thinking about the chances to sleep A1- under a grand, A2- above of the grand.

B.
I did it Frankie's way, oops, westphalian triathlon - house, tree, son. Expanded to fourathlon, bought a grand, eleven years ago when I was 55. When the son was grown up in our own house, the house was fully paid, and with the trees it is not that easy here...

I would have wanted to have had my 1st grand when I was 5 yrs but I had to fetch my 1st piano when I was 17 because a piano was too expensive for my parents. Then I got another very good upright by my bro-in-law for 29 years without any problems. So the grand (S&S Centennial D) was the ever first piano which I had to pay for.

Our 55 square meter living room is half occupied by our beloved black dragon. And we made him sing smoother by ripping off the flame new BIG hammers, and installed finest U.S. old light hammers, maybe 80, maybe 100 yrs young, with a much better sound.

So no further need for any better sound here.

....oops, why do I actually struggle for parts to complete the frame of a 1955 BMW R 69 to a whole motorbike..., the fastest thing you could ride in Germany at the time I was born?

Is it for fast riding?
For smooth comfort, to ride from Dortmund to Munich and instantly go into Hofbrauhaus without feeling exhausted by five hours motorcycling?

Or is it the sound of the "roller boxer" motor (flat-two) which can perform the "Rolls Royce engine test", take a piece of money, 2 Deutschmarks or Dollar on the gasoline vessel, idle running, and the money shakes from left to right, but does not tumble down...?...

Ahh I recognize, might have to do with a thing named "culture".
;-)
It's all about our senses.
(No other connections exist from my innards to life on Earth.)

So one has to care for his eyes, ears, tongue, and skin.

But...
You know that Petrus (Heaven's doorman) did not allow Horowitz to enter Heaven?
Denial reason: He yet had Heaven on Earth with his "Beauty", 1938 Steinway D.
(joke, and Petrus let in in the players of other brands. The poor men now can relax in Heaven.)

But I never understood why one needs to live in Bay Area.
;-) Is it about culture too?
I live in the ex black smoke coal pot region of western Germany.
Which is much much much greener than any is willing to think - until he is looking here.

One can also bring culture to his life by booking a table at the "Lameloise's" in Chagny, Burgundy, AFAIK the three-star Michelin restaurant which has the three stars the ever longest time without a break.
I recommend this too!

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Are you in a rush to buy a home, or are the low interest rate mortgages motivating you? Yes, housing prices are crazy in the Bay Area. Here too, in Seattle.

Why confine your housing options to a 3-bedroom townhome? If you are single, why do you need 3 bedrooms? Maybe you should expand your search to other neighborhoods or towns to find a house or condo that has an open floor plan or large living room where your Steinway B will get the space it deserves. That way you can have some comfortable furniture and your Steinway. I don’t think selling the B and downsizing to a 6 ft grand will open up other housing options for you.

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by xDom
Originally Posted by dogperson
If you want to eventually have a relationship, I don’t think a living room with piano and a couple of bean bag chairs would be an appealing configuration to a potential partner.

I'm going to disagree with this. What says class better than a massive Steinway!?
I think this will score the OP big points.

If she's not into pianos.... dump her.

99% of the pianists I know are not in a relationship with another pianist. OK, to be exact, I know one couple where both are pianists. All the other pianists I’m friends with are partnered with fisheries biologists, techies, and assorted other professions.

M
M
As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a (used) M&H BB and managed to fit it into a 350 square mobile home in Palo Alto (the only place I could afford in that insane housing market while saving for a move to Vermont). It helped that I (1) was single, (2) had no TV, (3) had only a tiny wicker couch to fit into the living room along with the piano. I had previously had a S&S M that had belonged to my mother. The difference in size between the two pianos was pretty small, but the difference in sound was huge. My feeling is that there are very few living situations where an M would fit but a BB would not. Heck, I could have put a S&S D or M&H CC in that mobile home; there were still a couple of feet left in that tiny living room before the piano would have protruded into the kitchen.

Last edited by Mark Alexander; 07/01/21 07:42 AM.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You just turn the dining room if you have one into a room for the piano, and then don't eat at a dining room table. ...
Actually, I know lots of people who just have so much junk piled on top of the dining room table they can't use it anyway.

This is exactly our family! We eat at the kitchen counter or in the TV area.
Our dining room (high ceiling and biggest room in the house) currently houses the N1X which will be moved out to accommodate an upright. We don't entertain much other than tea with our relatives so this hasn't been a problem for us so far.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mark Alexander
My feeling is that there are very few living situations where an M would fit but a BB would not.
Yes, exactly the point I've been trying to make. I think part of the problem is that, for pianists used to playing a less than 6' piano, a 7' piano can look very big until one gets used to it. In terms of floor space the difference is usually not significant.

S
S
Buy house first for sure.
A used piano and a piano tuner you trust (i.e., to do the prep work) will get you the most bang for the buck. Don't buy a brand, buy the function.

Regards, printsbery
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
99% of the pianists I know are not in a relationship with another pianist.

And it's probably for the best! You'd have to fight over who gets to practice when, you'd feel self conscious about your playing or practice approach...

"Honey, have you seen my copy of the score for ..."

"What? No, of course not..." (quickly hides score with own fingerings written in....)

One pianist and one person with the perfect ability to tune out sound = marital bliss!

grin

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
This isn't too hard if you live alone and don't entertain much (like me). And can afford something other than a small apartment. You just turn the dining room if you have one into a room for the piano, and then don't eat at a dining room table. Which I don't do, anyway, I just eat with a plate watching TV or at the most, a TV tray. Actually, I know lots of people who just have so much junk piled on top of the dining room table they can't use it anyway. Of course it would also work just to have a second bedroom you use for that, or a den (which is often what the extra room is in some apartments which often means it has no windows so can't be legally called a bedroom with no egress).

This is pretty practical but I'm bit worried about putting the piano too close to a kitchen due to the huge humidity fluctuation.

H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Are you in a rush to buy a home, or are the low interest rate mortgages motivating you? Yes, housing prices are crazy in the Bay Area. Here too, in Seattle.

Why confine your housing options to a 3-bedroom townhome? If you are single, why do you need 3 bedrooms? Maybe you should expand your search to other neighborhoods or towns to find a house or condo that has an open floor plan or large living room where your Steinway B will get the space it deserves. That way you can have some comfortable furniture and your Steinway. I don’t think selling the B and downsizing to a 6 ft grand will open up other housing options for you.

It is the low interest rate mortgages. I'm currently having my eyes on a 2-bedroom townhouse with larger living rooms. Unfortunately relocating is not an option for me right now due to work and other reasons.

H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Mark Alexander
As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a (used) M&H BB and managed to fit it into a 350 square mobile home in Palo Alto (the only place I could afford in that insane housing market while saving for a move to Vermont). It helped that I (1) was single, (2) had no TV, (3) had only a tiny wicker couch to fit into the living room along with the piano. I had previously had a S&S M that had belonged to my mother. The difference in size between the two pianos was pretty small, but the difference in sound was huge. My feeling is that there are very few living situations where an M would fit but a BB would not. Heck, I could have put a S&S D or M&H CC in that mobile home; there were still a couple of feet left in that tiny living room before the piano would have protruded into the kitchen.

Oh shoot I can't imagine a life like that even if I like having a grand piano so much! I know you could just rent a separate studio in someone's house and put your grand piano there and you don't need to worry about disturbing anybody.

Thanks for the input. Yeah the 7-foot doesn't seem to a lot larger than a 5'7, but I do think a 9-foot is larger. Especially an M&H CC is 9'4, and a Steinway D is 8'11.

I had many encounters with real estate agencies, but few of them lived up to my standards. One example is Tulum Real Estate. They helped me with everything I needed, and I was impressed to be able to contact them 24/7. They assist you with everything you need. It might be a little bit more expensive, but I can assure you it's worth it. I mean, it depends on what you want too, but I'm sure you're looking for professionals, not amateurs smile I hope I have helped you, if you have any more questions, let me know.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission