2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (accordeur, ando, Alex Hutor, Andrew E., An Old Square, Baltguy, Animisha, anotherscott, 20 invisible), 661 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3132692 06/29/21 06:38 PM
OP Offline
I currently have a Yamaha p125. I am 2 1/2 years into playing now and I'd like to jump up to the next level. I'd like to stay under $2000 if possible. I love the sound of the P125 but it has limited piano sounds and features. The only thing I would say is the keys are a little slippery sometimes from the finish. I like the feel and the piano sounds but I'd like more features and a "rougher" feel, for lack of a better term.

Love to get your advice.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
The obvious ‘next level’ would be the P-515; IMHO!

You will get better ‘keys/action’, and the sound you already ‘love’ played through better speakers/amps.

J
J
Originally Posted by Pete14
The obvious ‘next level’ would be the P-515; IMHO!

You will get better ‘keys/action’, and the sound you already ‘love’ played through better speakers/amps.

+1

if you want to check other brands, the other keyboard with similar specs and price to the p515 is the kawai es920

OP Offline
Watching the reviews for the P515. There seems to be a whole bunch out there. Thank you both.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hopefully the P-615 is released next month (July) smile

And also compare those to Roland FP-90X.

Last edited by Burkey; 06/29/21 11:18 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
What additional "piano sounds" and "features" are you looking for?

The easiest/ cheapest way to add "piano sounds" is to use VST's, running on a computer that you already own.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My piano has 88 features (or 91 if you count the pedals). I need no others.

When you refer to your piano's "limited piano sounds and features" ... what other features are you looking for?

OP Offline
Thanks everyone. I'm looking for more power, more inputs, better feel (The P515 has wooden keys I understand?). I have 5 piano straight piano sounds on my P125, 2 of which that sound good to my ear. The other 3 not so much. I guess overall the slick feel of the keys on the P125 is the main reason I'm looking at a new piano. And if I'm going to the trouble and expense I want upgraded features as well.

Unless it's the actual "key action" you want to improve then have you simply considered VSTs to give you more/better piano sounds using the existing P125 ? At the end of the day pretty much everything about a DP (sounds, recording, rhythm, etc) can be changed /added by routing the MIDI to something that does those externally. The one thing you can't change are the keys themselves - so you only really need to "upgrade" if that's the bit you are not satisfied with. If it is "key action" then the common choice here for a "step up" would appear to be the Kawai VPC-1 - but you then definitely will need to get involved with VST.

Originally Posted by stevechris
Thanks everyone. I'm looking for more power, more inputs, better feel (The P515 has wooden keys I understand?). I have 5 piano straight piano sounds on my P125, 2 of which that sound good to my ear. The other 3 not so much. I guess overall the slick feel of the keys on the P125 is the main reason I'm looking at a new piano. And if I'm going to the trouble and expense I want upgraded features as well.

If you have access to an iPad, I would try installing some virtual instrument apps and playing them through your P125 first, then take it from there.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
Yamaha P-125 "with features" = Yamaha DGX-670:
- similar key action
- slightly improved piano sounds
- more powerful speakers
- has "features"

J
J
Originally Posted by 1903wrightflyer
If it is "key action" then the common choice here for a "step up" would appear to be the Kawai VPC-1 - but you then definitely will need to get involved with VST.

genuinely unsure how you reach that conclusion? from reading the forums i would've thought the consensus 'step up' from a given entry level slab is one of the higher model slabs, especially given what the OP has said in this case.

so as Pete 14 said originally, from the p125 to the p515 (or perhaps es920 or fp90x). sure there are other possibilities, and the vpc1 is one of them, but the vpc1 is a MIDI controller not a slab piano so seems an odd recommendation in this case rather than 'the common choice'. but sure - it's worth the OP looking into

C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
I'm looking for [...] more inputs

What would you like to input into a digital piano? In general...

- There's MIDI.
- There's audio.
- There's analog audio cable.
- There's audio over USB.
- There's wireless MIDI (Bluetooth) and wireless audio in with a small delay (Bluetooth).
- There are extra pedals like an "expression pedal".
- There's microphone input for your singing voice, often with some effects available.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Although this is not a reason to look away from the P-515, be aware that "wooden" doesn't mean like the actual grand piano keys. Also the black keys are not wooden. The P-515 is certainly worthy of your consideration and it would be a leap from P125 in terms of features. I wish you well in your research.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
If your dissatisfaction with the P125 centers around the "slick" feel of the keys (I agree with you on that point, btw), then you are probably not going to be happy with the P515 either. Some part of the interior of the key may be wood, but I believe that the surface of the white keys is similar to that found on the P125.

If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure Pete14 will be along any minute now to let us know. smile

You can get an idea of what a piano sounds like by watching videos, and you can learn about their features from spec sheets and feature lists, but when it comes to the feel of the keys... I don't think you can avoid a trip to a store, possibly two or three (as it seems that very few stores nowadays carry all of the various brands, and everyone is out of stock on one or more models you may be interested in.)

If you're looking for a more textured feel than what is on your P125, you should probably try something in Kawai's lineup.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
It has been brought to my attention that a certain someone has been spreading misinformation about the P-515’s keys (surface).

The P-515’s key-surface is superior to the P-125. The P-515 uses synthetic ivory (white keys) and synthetic ebony (black keys) for a porous and non-slippery experience!

Thanks Pete, I knew I could count on you! smile

My advice on trying them out for yourself still holds, though. One man's "slippery" is another man's "just perfect!"

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
Synthetic ivory? Synthetic ebony?
Aren't those what they used to call "plastic"?
The P-515 uses synthetic ivory (white keys) and synthetic ebony (black keys) for a porous and non-slippery experience!

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Okay, the naming scheme might seem contradictory, but the final result is a more porous and non-slippery surface as compared to the P-125.

Now, SeaDrive is right in pointing out that ‘my porous might be your slippery’, so it would be wise for the OP to try out the P-515. smile

Did you know ... Here in western Pennsylvania the word is "slippy".
... the final result is a more porous and non-slippery surface as compared ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pratt Reed Grand Piano Action
by Rburt53 - 01/18/22 07:41 AM
Happy birthday, Sam!
by jotur - 01/18/22 06:11 AM
Book Recommendations
by Qazsedcft - 01/18/22 03:53 AM
Novus 5 no "fading effect" after release
by Usheraname - 01/18/22 02:38 AM
Digital pianos - starting time
by JosefPirkl - 01/18/22 01:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,201
Posts3,161,720
Members104,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission