2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (Brendan, anotherscott, 36251, Bill McClellan, BlizzardPiano, Beemer, alexii, AaronSF, 9 invisible), 950 guests, and 342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Sebs
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Who cares what they wear and doesn’t matter whether a wedding band or not. I think anyone professional or not should wear what they like and not care what the viewers think.
They should ignore their audience?

They don’t need to ignore them but they don’t need care what others think of how they look. I always thought art is about expression just cause some wear suits doesn’t mean it’s a requirement
Some would say the pianist's attire should not distract from their musical expression.

I don't think it's a big deal especially since Ciccolini is such a great pianist and the rings are only highly visible on video close ups of his hands. OTOH so far on this thread there has not been another major professional pianist named, male or female, who wears several large rings while playing. I think most of them choose to do that for the reasons I've mentioned.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Among non classical pianists large rings are pretty common, I think it's almost always a sign of bravura/bravado.

Among classical pianists large rings are not common, among classical pianists having long nails serves for the same purpose. laugh

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Who cares what they wear and doesn’t matter whether a wedding band or not. I think anyone professional or not should wear what they like and not care what the viewers think.
They should ignore their audience?

They don’t need to ignore them but they don’t need care what others think of how they look. I always thought art is about expression just cause some wear suits doesn’t mean it’s a requirement
Some would say the pianist's attire should not distract from their musical expression.

I don't think it's a big deal especially since Ciccolini is such a great pianist and the rings are only highly visible on video close ups of his hands. OTOH so far on this thread there has not been another major professional pianist named, male or female, who wears several large rings while playing. I think most of them choose to do that for the reasons I've mentioned.

This pianist was from a earlier post in this thread. Think you missed it

https://youtu.be/oh-4F17wlCQ

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

This pianist was from a earlier post in this thread. Think you missed it

https://youtu.be/oh-4F17wlCQ
Those rings look inappropriate to me but that's just my preference. I checked four other of his videos and he had no rings. I think the rings were a one off for that video and maybe a suggestion of the director. So I think we still have just one ring wearer among all the thousands of pro classical pianists.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
As long as it doesn't adversely affect the finger performance for the piece they're playing, it doesn't matter.

People like Ludovico can wear whatever, because his generic pop is really easy to play and requires little skill.

You can put on plate and chainmail and play that easy stuff just fine.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/25/20 03:15 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Though not a pianist, I'm reminded of Diane Bish's cocktail rings. I don't really mind anything but jiggly bracelets, though.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Ludovico Einaudi plays whilst wearing quite a large ring on one hand.
Meh. One can play his music wearing gardening gloves.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

In answer to the original question, yes, if they want to.
If there are people who think it's inappropriate, then it's their right to boycott the artist, if they feel that strongly. A professional musician should know if it affects their playing ability. If it does they shouldn't need to be told.

To twist the question around would I attend a concert where I had to adhere to some arbitrary dress code (i.e. suit and tie*). Answer no.

*In my working life (now over) where a dress code was enforced on staff, I always wanted someone to explain to me, how having a piece of cloth round my neck (a tie), helped me perform my duties better. It never did.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums
Thomann Vibraphone

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Yes... you should. Especially when you're reviewing an instrument that is not yours. Don't forget to make a few huge glissando's across the keyboard, so you can be -absolutely sure- that you damage it properly.

/sarcasm

(I've seen this happen several times with people reviewing Hammond organ clones on YouTube.)

Last edited by Falsch; 01/02/21 02:31 AM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7 (Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers, Karsten, KIVIR)
Intel NUC i3-6100U, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Simon_b
[...]*In my working life (now over) where a dress code was enforced on staff, I always wanted someone to explain to me, how having a piece of cloth round my neck (a tie), helped me perform my duties better. It never did.

Cheers

Does this answer your no-longer-relevant question?

Dress for Success

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

So you should dress like a slob if you want to become a tech billionaire. grin

Last edited by johnstaf; 01/02/21 05:37 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

No it doesn't, and nothing anybody posts will change my view.

I'm not saying it doesn't have an impact on other people, maybe even a vast majority, but for me it was just an annoyance and if anything degraded my performance. That's just how I am.
Happily for most of my career my employers adopted a casual dress code.

It's really off topic and I should never have introduced it into the post. Sorry.

Simon

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums
Thomann Vibraphone

B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]*In my working life (now over) where a dress code was enforced on staff, I always wanted someone to explain to me, how having a piece of cloth round my neck (a tie), helped me perform my duties better. It never did.

Cheers

Does this answer your no-longer-relevant question?

Dress for Success

Regards,
That explains why I'm never invited to weddings, parties, funerals etc, because I absolutely refuse to wear anything other than my usual T-shirt and shorts and running shoes (I need to be ready to run away at any time, for instance if someone suddenly has a brainwave and invites me to give a speech, and all I can think to talk about is the intricacies of Stockhausen's Klavierstück IX).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I admit I wasn't a revolutionary who refused to adhere to dress codes at work, when it was required I grudgingly, and sometimes argumentatively did so. That degree of compromise allowed me to retire at 58 last year. I worked to live, I didn't live for work.

Again (!), I'm in complete agreement with Bennevis. I wear T-shirts and Jeans, and sometimes casual shirts. If anybody, or any establishment wants anything else, I won't be there.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73
Casio PX-S3000
Pearl Midtown Drums
Thomann Vibraphone

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I always liked the idea of rings, blame that part of me that thought yeah Elton John and even Liberace are kind of cool. My first wedding ring seemed to be a bit cumbersome and didn't work well with my smaller hands, but me and my wife switched to silicone rings, and that was kind of the best of both worlds. For some reason, I just feel I can move around better with one one(compared to my older ring) and eventually we plan to do tattoos instead of rings. Of course this doesn't answer the question at all, I think it just depends on the pianist, and the performance, and the audience, and the weather that day, if you woke up on the right side of the bed, and if you had a well balanced breakfast.

L
L
I'm impressed by anyone who can play with hand jewelry. I don't wear my wedding ring during work, because I can't type comfortably with it on.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
To twist the question around would I attend a concert where I had to adhere to some arbitrary dress code (i.e. suit and tie*). Answer no.

I always like to wear a tie when I go to a concert or opera. Not because of a dress code (generally there isn't one). But because to me it feels appropriate.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by David-G

I always like to wear a tie when I go to a concert or opera. Not because of a dress code (generally there isn't one). But because to me it feels appropriate.
Sounds like you have a lot of class. thumb thumb thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
BDB Offline
B
I wear a tie when I do my impresario work. So do the musicians.

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Is Music Right For You?
by FrankCox - 05/26/22 12:33 PM
Video on avoiding tension at the piano...
by thepianoplayer416 - 05/26/22 11:57 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,251
Posts3,194,707
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission