2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, bubbaXzone, BWV846, anotherscott, Bostonmoores, Ajax69, 22 invisible), 769 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
N
This is my opinion only and for me it's all about balance and contentment in life. You already have a beautiful Steinway B that majority would wish to own one. As many mentioned try to have it regulated / serviced before jumping into another big spending. It's your money I know you can do whatever you want but at your age I know you still have other important future plans in life and you have to be prepared for any emergency.

In this uncertain times, be prudent about your finances. You still have other big financial decisions to consider in life. Spend your hard earned money wisely. You will still have big expenses coming up if you get married, have a baby, buy a house, travel, cross of your bucket list etc.

It doesn't make sense for me to own a Steinway D and yet I live in an apartment. Just like people who drive luxury cars and yet live in apartments. I mean no insult and I know we all want to live our lives the way we want it. But for me, I'd rather secure a nice spacious house first as investment and for my future family and at the same time accommodate the piano of my dreams.

Keep your Steinway B my friend... But I can't stop you so if you really want a D then sell the N3x to help cover some of the upgrade cost.

I hope I didn't insult you and it's never my intention.

Yamaha C3X SH <=Yamaha C3 PE <= Yamaha AvantGrand N2 <= Yamaha CLP-645 <= Yamaha P-140s
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Since you're single I wouldn't worry too much about paying for your wedding...

Steinway D in an apartment? Are you on good terms with your neighbours? It's difficult living in an apartment with any piano. Honestly if you want the D, can afford the D, can accommodate the D and the volume of sound it produces (and a D may well produce a huge volume of sound, by the way), and are on good terms with the neighbours then why not?

What don't you like about the B that you want to replace it with a D? I thought you bought the B fairly recently but I could be confused on that.

YAMAHA Artist
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Ah, someone who has forgotten the original post.

If I wanted a D, there is one on the local (mine and the original poster's) area Craigslist which is a bit older, a fraction of the price, a Baldwin, that I would consider.

Semipro Tech
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
We have no idea how big the OP's apartment is so we don't know if a D would be too big for his space. We also don't know any details about the OP's financial situation like savings and salary(not that I'm asking).

In terms of space I have enough physical space to accommodate the D but I have to sacrifice some living space even in my future house. If I decide to go with a concert grand I'll probably not put in the living room as it will occupy too much space. I may want to have a dedicated room for that. The YouTube piano teacher Josh Wright has a Steinway D and another Steinway O in a small room and it sounds gorgeous on the microphone. He may have dampen the room somehow.

Listen to that soft bass. Nothing could produce such sound except a concert grand!

Also listen to the melody in the tenor section in this video. This is what I'm looking for if I really want a concert grand. The bass on my B sounds a bit tubby and muddy when depressing the damper pedal.

In terms of financial consideration, I've mentioned that I have enough cash to pay for the D. After all it's a used piano and I'll not go crazy to spend $100k for a new piano. It's just that at this point I'm a bit hesitant to spend more on pianos as I've spent enough on pianos. My girl friend financed a car for 45k and my Steinway B didn't cost more than her car. Also a reason why I want to keep the cost under 45k. Anyway I will need to pay at least 25k for the D and I can use this money to do a partial rebuild on my B and spend the rest on the piano lessons. I've stopped taking lessons for a while and thinking about starting again.

Is the D going to sound good in my space? I don't know. But as a reference, I usually play my B with the front lid closed and flying lid folded back. It seems to work for me pretty well except the bass. I put my piano pretty close to the wall and the bass is a bit overpowering. If I play with the lid fully open it's a bit loud.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by alexii
Here is how i like to imagine a Steinway D could sound in my living room... The reality is probably quite different smile

His room is way larger than mine and he has curtain and couch to damper the sound.

VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by navi9187
This is my opinion only and for me it's all about balance and contentment in life. You already have a beautiful Steinway B that majority would wish to own one. As many mentioned try to have it regulated / serviced before jumping into another big spending. It's your money I know you can do whatever you want but at your age I know you still have other important future plans in life and you have to be prepared for any emergency.

In this uncertain times, be prudent about your finances. You still have other big financial decisions to consider in life. Spend your hard earned money wisely. You will still have big expenses coming up if you get married, have a baby, buy a house, travel, cross of your bucket list etc.

It doesn't make sense for me to own a Steinway D and yet I live in an apartment. Just like people who drive luxury cars and yet live in apartments. I mean no insult and I know we all want to live our lives the way we want it. But for me, I'd rather secure a nice spacious house first as investment and for my future family and at the same time accommodate the piano of my dreams.

Keep your Steinway B my friend... But I can't stop you so if you really want a D then sell the N3x to help cover some of the upgrade cost.

I hope I didn't insult you and it's never my intention.

Thanks. No insulting at all. These are all wise advice.

In terms of neighbor complaint, I've done an experiment. I live in a corner unit and only have one direct neighbor next door and another neighbor upstairs. My next door neighbor has just moved out and I can access their unit. My N3X nearly produces the same volume as the B with the lid open if I cranked up the volume all the way up. I recorded something and played back on the N3X with the volume up and I went to my neighbor's unit, I can't hear anything. My living room doesn't share a wall with my neighbor and I guess that's the reason. I don't know if my upstair neighbor is hearing my piano but I can hear their two kids running around all the time and sometimes screaming. They do that even if I'm not playing the piano. I don't think they have issues hearing me playing.

My concern of owning a concert grand is that it is in its own market and not a lot of buyers are interested in buying a concert grand. It may limit my house purchase and it may be hard for me to sale and move it. I don't have people coming to my apartment so I'm not showing my piano to anyone. I may pass on this piano right now but I may be thinking about upgrading to a good Steinway D in the future. I just love the sound of the two videos that I posted and I'm not sure if my B could produce that kind of sound.

H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Some updates on the Steinway D. The seller said that there is someone else interested in that D and he was waiting for the final decision. He didn't answer my question of "who is the rebuilder" and didn't even arrange for me to try the D since he is dealing with someone else.

X
Xam Offline
X
Ha...You really like that D!!..I have never experienced a D or a piano that size. I have played a late NY B, and it's beautiful. Actually I look forward to playing it again soon. I would go through the B with a skilled tech to see if you can get the tone you desire, but I can tell you are smitten with the D. So heck if you like it and you can afford it..Get it.. Probably be your baby for many years.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The seller could be using the standard sales tactic of talking about another interested buyer to make you believe that your chance to buy the D is nearly gone. Or the used piano market is really hot right now and this D will be “one that got away”. If the 2nd scenario is true, don’t be too broken hearted because you haven’t tried it yet.

Six years ago we thought we found the perfect house in the perfect neighborhood for us. As we were finishing the first tour we wrote up a nice offer with our agent right there and then. When our agent sent the offer over the sellers’ broker didn’t present our cash offer until his buyer without a buyer’s agent submitted a somewhat better cash offer. Of course they accepted the higher cash offer. Bam! The deal was done and then the sold sign was up. I was broken hearted. I kept the listing on the back by energy because it ain’t over til it’s over. 4 weeks later, our agent called and said the deal was canceled. We bought the house. Just saying. The deal doesn’t always go through. Best Wishes for your dream piano. You do already own a dream piano for many on the forum.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I'll probably pass on this D as the seller is not willing to accept a trade-in for my B. It would be too much hassle even if I really like this D.

O
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
O
Before you consider selling or trading in your B you should really get a concert technician to take a look at the action of your B. I am confident that very few little things will make all the difference in playing it. It will also raise the trade value of the piano.

P
P
hi Harpuia,

This is ultimately of course a very personal choice - and a matter of priorities. At the first opportunity I had, I bought a house big enough to house a concert grand (and hence compromised perhaps on other features of the house I wanted to buy). My minimum demand was that a concert grand would have to fit in the living room.

Personally, I found that concert grands add a certain oomph to the tone that is hard to match in smaller instruments, and that for me made the value-for-money easy. I would rather select a slightly bigger but older than a smaller but newer instrument. That said - it clearly depends on your budget and personal preferences.

I found that neighbors clearly cared about piano playing, but at least that my own level of piano playing pleased them that they would rather I played more than less. And since I am only an amateur I am not playing hours a day.

A B should be sellable - even if not as a trade-in, so perhaps (if the seller is a professional) he could help you sell your instrument. I would follow your heart in music, that is what makes it great.

Good luck in jour journey and with whatever you decide.

Proud owner of a Bosendorfer 280VC built in 2019
Previously proud owner of a Bechstein E from the 1940s
A
A
I sold my 2002 Steinway B last month and ordered a new SteinwayHamburg D... still waiting on its arrival, and it will be delivered July. My home is an open floor plan, and my dedicated living room area is 28' x 18'...

My B filled the space nicely. I've always dreamed of having a D, but in my case it's for the richness of the bass and the touch of the Renner action in the Hamburg. I played a Steinway C&A Hamburg D in a concert in 2019 and was amazed. I've played on many D's, but nothing came close to that Hamburg D I played.

I'm 31, and married, have a house, have 2 kids and a 3rd on the way, have both cars paid off, etc. I was single and living with my parents when I bought my B while in college. For me, I don't regret going in the order that I did. I've dreamed of owning a D for 20+ years, and good things like that come with time.

Up until this year I wouldn't have even considered pulling the trigger and buying a new Hamburg D, and a year later everything fell into place at the right time.

My advice is look at your long-term goals. Pianos (especially new Steinways) go up in price every year... but houses do too, at least where I live. This may sound too generic, but you'll know when the time is right as everything will fall into place. If you are hesitant in the back of your mind because of other goals you have, the best thing is to stay put and not make a move until you are confident in your decision. It may take a year, or maybe a day.

O
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
O
Am I reading this correctly: You bought a brand instead of trying out every other available concert grand of comparable quality, from Yamaha to Bösendorfer, from Shigeru to Steingräber, from Bechstein to Petrof, from Estonia to Mason&Hamlin, from Fazioli to Grotrian?

Leaves me puzzled, TBQH.

Last edited by OE1FEU; 06/21/21 03:18 PM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by OE1FEU
Am I reading this correctly: You bought a brand instead of trying out every other available concert grand of comparable quality, from Yamaha to Bösendorfer, from Shigeru to Steingräber, from Bechstein to Petrof, from Estonia to Mason&Hamlin, from Fazioli to Grotrian?

Leaves me puzzled, TBQH.

There was another thread where he said he was a Steinway Artist.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
A
A
Originally Posted by OE1FEU

Leaves me puzzled, TBQH.

@OE1FEU, I'm not sure if you are asking me or the OP, but for me I'm a Steinway Artist, and one of the requirements is to own a Steinway. I personally love Steinway's, so that's not a restriction to me.

I used to own a Mason & Hamlin, and I've played Petrof's. I've performed on Estonia's on multiple occasions. Several of the other brands you mentioned are hard to find in the USA. I have heard nothing but excellent things about Fazioli's, and I do enjoy different aspects of the tone of a Bosendorfer. I'm personally not drawn to the sound of a Yamaha, but I know their concert grand is also favored by different artists.

I have a lot of time playing behind Steinway D's and owned my Steinway B for 11 years. The ONLY reason I sold it is because of the opportunity I had to upgrade. My B was a special instrument, and I'm sure many of the other brands you mentioned have produced some special instruments as well.

I always enjoy the opportunity to try out different instruments. For me it's fun to create different colors and tones when sitting behind a different instrument.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Andrew, I followed your thread on the Hamburg D and also checked out some of your YT videos. Enjoyed your playing.

That's Fantastic you are able to get a Hamburg D ! Huge congratulations and maybe post some pictures when it arrives and you get a chance. smile thumb

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, CP4

A
A
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Andrew, I followed your thread on the Hamburg D and also checked out some of your YT videos. Enjoyed your playing.

That's Fantastic you are able to get a Hamburg D ! Huge congratulations and maybe post some pictures when it arrives and you get a chance. smile thumb

Thank you David, I appreciate the kind words! I told my local dealer that I want to be at the store when the truck arrives. I will be there while it's uncrated because I want to make sure no one touches the instrument other than tuning and inspecting it upon arrival. Plus it will be fun to experience the whole process. There's a really awesome story about the person who purchased my B - she taught piano restoration and prepping for 40+ years to students around the world, and she specializes in Steinways. When I asked her about prepping the new piano, she said she would be happy to once it's settled in the house. It was truly an honor to have met her the way I did...who would have thought?!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by andrewlapp
[...]I will be there while it's uncrated because I want to make sure no one touches the instrument other than tuning and inspecting it upon arrival. Plus it will be fun to experience the whole process. [...]

I would want to do the same. This is very exciting; I will eagerly await pictures, pictures and pictures!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Thanks for the kind word. Who wouldn't like a nice Steinway D? It's just that I can't afford a new one. That's why I'm looking in the used market.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,258
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission