2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 141 of 191 1 2 139 140 141 142 143 190 191
D
D
Originally Posted by F-Sharp
If I put it higher, my ears will get some serious damage, I’m sure. In the first weeks I had the instrument I put it at about half the volume with headphones and within a few days I noticed a constant ringing in my ears. Since then I kept the volume lower, and my ears have improved, but I still hear some ringing once in a while, so some damage may already have occurred. Never had ear problems with any of the arranger keyboards I owned in several decades.

I have mild tinitus myself and very much noticed this same thing, I now keep the volume lower the only problem I have to watch is striking the keys harder than I should to get the expression.

White Kawai CA79
Musical Scotsman
Z
Z
Reading this long list of critical comments in terms of the UI (touchscreen and software) in the CA-79, I wonder why so few people consider buying the CA-59, which has a standard interface with buttons and and the software in this piano does not pose problems.
Is the difference in sound of CA-79 really so big that it is worth to bother with this UI?
I'm asking because I'm planning to buy one of these pianos, and I can any of these models, but I just don't want something I'm going to get frustrated with. The CA-59 seems like a good option - it has powerful speakers, the GFC is said to be very close to the GFIII (both also have no teflon tape issues).
On the plus side, the CA-79 has a rendering engine for main piano sound, but is it worth the UI frustration for this?

Last edited by Ziggy-pl; 06/09/21 05:37 AM. Reason: typo mistakes

Kawai CA59
D
D
Originally Posted by Ziggy-pl
Reading this long list of critical comments in terms of the UI (touchscreen and software) in the CA-79, I wonder why so few people consider buying the CA-59, which has a standard interface with buttons and and the software in this piano does not pose problems.
Is the difference in sound of CA-79 really so big that it is worth to bother with this UI?
I'm asking because I'm planning to buy one of these pianos, and I can any of these models, but I just don't want something I'm going to get frustrated with. The CA-59 seems like a good option - it has powerful speakers, the GFC is said to be very close to the GFIII (both also have no teflon tape issues).
On the plus side, the CA-79 has a rendering engine for main piano sound, but is it worth the UI frustration for this?

The keyboard movement is totally different between the CA59 Grand Feel and CA79 Grand Touch that is why most people go the CA79 for the more deeply authentic feel. Or, at least that is what we and they tell ourselves.

White Kawai CA79
Musical Scotsman
Z
Z
Thanks for this reply. This may be the case. I am really not that experienced in piano, and I am upgrading from ES110 after two years of not moderately intensive learning. But, as I tested these two actions at the store, I did not feel huge difference. I did prefer both CA actions to the other pianos at the store, but honestly it would be difficult for me to tell which one is better, of course assuming that I did not see the price tag. I know that I may not be able to assess this well (yet), but this was my feeling.
Also, it is a bit confusing for me to see a lot of positive comments on the VPC1 that has quite old action, that according to tech specifications is inferior to the GFC.. I rise this topic, because after reading all these issues related to the CA-79 UI, I tend to choose CA-59. But maybe I am making a mistake because of my lack of experience and soon I would regret not choosing the CA-79 - ?

Kawai CA59
F
F
There are lots of differences between CA59 and CA79. Key action, amplification and SK-EX rendering are the most important I guess. But it’s up to you to decide to spend the extra bucks or not. Both are great instruments. I wouldn’t buy the CA79 for the touchscreen / OS, at least not as it is now. But a great OS update will be released one day. That’s my hope. It has to. Or it will be my last Kawai ever.

Musical greetings,

F-Sharp (Kawai CA79 since Sept 2020)
D
D
Originally Posted by Ziggy-pl
Thanks for this reply. This may be the case. I am really not that experienced in piano, and I am upgrading from ES110 after two years of not moderately intensive learning. But, as I tested these two actions at the store, I did not feel huge difference. I did prefer both CA actions to the other pianos at the store, but honestly it would be difficult for me to tell which one is better, of course assuming that I did not see the price tag. I know that I may not be able to assess this well (yet), but this was my feeling.
Also, it is a bit confusing for me to see a lot of positive comments on the VPC1 that has quite old action, that according to tech specifications is inferior to the GFC.. I rise this topic, because after reading all these issues related to the CA-79 UI, I tend to choose CA-59. But maybe I am making a mistake because of my lack of experience and soon I would regret not choosing the CA-79 - ?

I would have got the CA59 if I couldn't tell a difference between the two. GFC is a great action, better than almost all digital pianos out there. The main point of GF3 is the length, which further enchances the autheticity compared to an acoustic grand piano. GFC is akin to a great upright piano, whereas GF3 is akin to a great grand piano. Just go with CA59 if it feels just like CA79 for you.

Z
Z
Thanks, so I would try the CA59. Also, I already have a Pianoteq and Ravenscroft for iOS (I used that on my ES110), so I can use this if i see the need to upgrade the Kawai sound.

Kawai CA59
F
F
But a great OS update will be released one day. That’s my hope. It has to. Or it will be my last Kawai ever.
Well said. I guess it'll be another decade or so until it arrives but it'll come. Either by us customers getting tired of waiting or by Kawai doing their job, that they should've done before releasing the product.

U
uuu Offline
U
I quite like this chap's videos - but he's more into acoustic piano, and stage/slab digitals. But he's done a quick one on the CA99, and here it is:

James Pavel Shawcross - impressions of CA99

F
F
Originally Posted by uuu
I quite like this chap's videos - but he's more into acoustic piano, and stage/slab digitals. But he's done a quick one on the CA99, and here it is:

James Pavel Shawcross - impressions of CA99

For James Pavel, this truely is a very short review/impression. I like the way he discusses instruments inside out on his Youtube channel, quite unbiased (I think) and with lots of knowledge and very talented playing skills. So when he says he loves the action and could play the CA99 all day long, that is a big compliment to Kawai. Other channels (Bonners, Merriam and the likes) give a lot of information, which of course is very useful, but in the end, because they are/represent stores/webshops, they're almost always positive on any instrument. Not as unbiased as James I guess. (Keep up the good work, man, if you ever read this post.)

Musical greetings,

K
Online Content
K
I agree with F-sharp about Bonners. They kind of suck you in. Speaking to one of there Staff I mentioned this and he got all excited but only when I mentioned that they were all the same .... I mean that whatever you are looking for or comparing to it all sounds fine until you err off-piste and look at other videos and realise the script is mostly the same, playing the same. The only bit that is useful is the factual differences, so the rest take with a pinch of salt.

So today I joined the CA79 owners' club. I'm bowled over by this thing of beauty, I love it. It's an utter joy to play. I'm a beginner but I can notice a huge difference between my Casio AP21 and this.
My only issue is I can hear a sound which seems to be coming from the top left speaker, and it's not the buzzing I've heard others mention, more of a ringing noise. I hope that a few hours play sorts it out and it settles.

D
D
Hello all,

I have been graciously browsing the various topics here to aid my DP purchase decision for a while now. With that said, I have had the opportunity to reflect on many of the positive reviews and issues that people have had with their CA79/99s. Currently, I have nothing but the old upright that I learned on years ago which badly needs full restoration to be playable. I sold my very basic Suzuki DP that was a gift from years ago to a friend upon moving to college. Now that I've graduated, it's time to get into something more substantial. I have been close to pulling the trigger on one of the two for a while now (leaning towards 99) but as I revisit/discover new perspectives from owners, I cannot help but consider what benefits some patience could yield. I noticed that the last two flagship Kawai DP models (98 and 99) have been announced in October 2017 and October 2019 respectively. From that and the fact that they do not seem to be addressing the various software issues presented by many current gen owners, I can only assume that they are instead focused on working those fixes into/developing the next generation for announcement later this year, keeping with their past few years schedule. I am just wondering what the opinions are about just waiting on the "CA100" line instead of impulse buying the CA99 because I want something now. I am afraid that I'll regret it since the new gen could be only months away. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by DrewHutt; 06/19/21 03:03 PM.
R
R
Originally Posted by TessB
So today I joined the CA79 owners' club. I'm bowled over by this thing of beauty, I love it. It's an utter joy to play. I'm a beginner but I can notice a huge difference between my Casio AP21 and this.
My only issue is I can hear a sound which seems to be coming from the top left speaker, and it's not the buzzing I've heard others mention, more of a ringing noise. I hope that a few hours play sorts it out and it settles.

Very happy for you.
Hope the ringing is not an issue. Could be the sound bouncing off the walls You sure it's not right speaker and the high notes ringing.

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre

Very happy for you.
Hope the ringing is not an issue. Could be the sound bouncing off the walls You sure it's not right speaker and the high notes ringing.

Ron

It definitely sounds more like the left speaker but I'll check again tomorrow (it's after 9pm here now). Maybe I need to move it out from the wall a little, it's practically flush to the wall just now.

Are the high notes meant to ring?

Thank you 😊

R
R
They do on a real piano. Course depends on what you mean by ringing

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
R
R
My only issue is I can hear a sound which seems to be coming from the top left speaker, and it's not the buzzing I've heard others mention, more of a ringing noise.

Do you hear the same ringing with headphones?

Kawai CA79 (Nov 2020), Kawai ES920 (Aug 2021), Roland ep-7IIe (1993)
Well now, I'm delighted to report that today there is no ringing, so I've no idea what it was. It was loud enough for me to stop playing a few times laat night, and today, nothing.
I love it!
Now I just need to get a flash drive and get my software updated.
I can't believe how much easier this is to play than my previous dp, particularly in moving from p to pp (I don't know the technical term for that) and other volumes. On my other dp I could just about manage loud, quiet and in between, but I'm having no issues with this smile

F
F
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre

Very happy for you.

Ron

It definitely sounds more like the left speaker but I'll check again tomorrow (it's after 9pm here now). Maybe I need to move it out from the wall a little, it's practically flush to the wall just now.

Are the high notes meant to ring?

Thank you 😊
It’s a good idea to leave some space between the piano and the wall. 10 - 15 cm or so. Better for ventilation and sound. Good luck with this fantastic instrument!

Musical greetings,

It’s a good idea to leave some space between the piano and the wall. 10 - 15 cm or so. Better for ventilation and sound. Good luck with this fantastic instrument!

I have a small house and it's in a tight spot! I can move it out about 5cm max for now. In a few months I will have a spare room and it will have pride of place and plenty of room to move out from the wall then.

Page 141 of 191 1 2 139 140 141 142 143 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission