2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
91 members (36251, anotherscott, Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, Augustina, astrotoy, Amadeus M., Andy R, APianistHasNoName, 20 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
OP Offline
G
Greetings everyone.

About 4 years ago, the fall Board on my Mason and Hamlin BB started to develop cracks in the veneer and I had a very qualified piano and furniture refinisher work on it to fix it. He tried twice and the repair would last only about 3 months. By this point I am out of $240 and now I have emailed the company since it should be covered under warranty (12 years). I purchased the piano new in late October of 2011 and it is still under warranty. This is obviously a defect of workmanship and now Mason wants to charge me $685 for a new Fall board which I think is ridiculous. I purchased the piano from Ruggero pianos in Raleigh NC and he no longer carries them, however he has contacted M&H several times on my behalf and has even offered to pay for the new board (which I don't think he should). I have known Richard Ruggero piano for several years and his customer service, integrity and honesty are second to none and also a dear friend.
I wanted to know if anyone has experienced a similar issue with the finish on these pianos. The built date for my BB is 9/9/2008 and the warranty begins on the date of purchase which was late October/2011. I should also add that I am extremely careful with my stuff and always monitor the humidity and temperature in my room. It has never been dropped, banged or anything similar. The rest of the cabinet is in pristine condition and it sounds like the cracks are coming from inside the wood and probably was not aged properly. I am really hoping that they will take care so another great American legacy Company does not turn to s&*t.

Thanks and I look forward to your replies.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I find it hard to believe the cracks are in the veneer. Do they go straight from left to right?
Maybe a picture?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sorry to hear about this. Are the new cracks in the same - or different - places? Did you contact M&H BEFORE you had the piano/furniture restorer work on it? What type of finish (satin ebony or other) does your piano have?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Did M&H say why they are not willing to replace the fallboard under warranty? Did the person who repaired the cracks indicate anything about what he think caused them?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/03/21 10:29 AM.
Originally Posted by Carey
Sorry to hear about this. Are the new cracks in the same - or different - places? Did you contact M&H BEFORE you had the piano/furniture restorer work on it? What type of finish (satin ebony or other) does your piano have?

I agree, Carey, I believe I would have contacted M&H first, before having a furniture repairer try to repair the fallboard. M&H could use that as an excuse to void the warranty.

The fact that the dealer has agreed to pay for a new fallboard is commendable.

Sorry you had to deal with this issue on such a new, and respectable brand.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
B
I would let the dealer take care of you on this, and I wouldn't feel guilty about it. You did buy a new M&H from them (which was a benefit to them in the past), and to their credit they are willing to stand by the product, seems like a win win and a way to reduce your personal hassle in the situation. smile

G
OP Offline
G
The crack actually starts from the center of the logo and go to the left. After looking in different light there are cracks all over the place. Ruggero piano told me that some other clients have had issues and Mason will not stand behind. Just a crappy excuse and I am going to call them every single day until I speak with someone. The piano has a satin ebony finish.

G
OP Offline
G
Yes, Mike Collins at M&H said that the fall board is not covered under warranty which is total BS.

Originally Posted by graycat89
Yes, Mike Collins at M&H said that the fall board is not covered under warranty which is total BS.
I would tend to agree with you. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
How can M&H not realize that saying something like that could easily cost them a lot more in lost sales than covering the fallboard under warranty? Just losing the sale of one BB would cost them the same as replacing around 60 fallboards according to my rough calculation.

B
BDB Offline
B
Read your warranty, and the Magnuson-Moss Act, to see what your rights are.

Semipro Tech
B
B
They must not be very interested in selling new pianos, lol.

C
c++ Online Content
Online Content
C
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Maybe a picture?

+1 on the pictures

G
OP Offline
G
I agree that a fall board is a very small price to pay compared to loosing the sale of a piano or several instruments. The warranty SPECIFICALLY says that it covers all defects in manufacturing. I will also post it on social media. I am not asking for a new piano, just a fall board and for an American legacy company to stand behind their products. I owned a Yamaha C5 for 27 years before purchasing the BB and right after I bought the C5, the ivorite started to discolor. My technician filed a claim and Yamaha sent a new set of keys and paid my technician ALL labor, regulation, etc, to install them. And that folks is how it's done.

If M&H ever agrees to replace the fallboard, they should be reminded to make sure the new fallboard matches the rest of the piano. They may have changed their process for creating a satin ebony finish since when your piano was built.

B
BDB Offline
B
Yamaha replaced bad keytops even after the warranty was expired.

The usual warranty covers materials and workmanship. This would cover cracks like this. You should complain to the Federal Trade Commission. They are responsible for enforcing the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Semipro Tech
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Very disappointing behavior from a company with a venerable history. I love my vintage BB, but if I would be shopping for a new piano, I would omit M &. H from the contender list. Piano touch and tone are important but company service when something goes wrong trumps everything. Part of buying a given brand is peace of mind and trust.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
graycat89, you have not answered the question about whether you contacted M&H first, before you had someone else attempt (twice) to repair the fall board. Did you let M&H know you had someone attempt the repair? I'm seeing a lot of company bashing here, but I'm not sure we're getting all the details. No disrespect intended.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
B
BDB Offline
B
It does not matter. Mason & Hamlin would have to prove that the repairs caused the problem to get out of their responsibility.

Semipro Tech
I agree that a fall board is a very small price to pay compared to loosing the sale of a piano or several instruments. The warranty SPECIFICALLY says that it covers all defects in manufacturing. I will also post it on social media. I am not asking for a new piano, just a fall board and for an American legacy company to stand behind their products. I owned a Yamaha C5 for 27 years before purchasing the BB and right after I bought the C5, the ivorite started to discolor. My technician filed a claim and Yamaha sent a new set of keys and paid my technician ALL labor, regulation, etc, to install them. And that folks is how it's done.

A friend has a MH BB from 2017 that also had an issue with the soundboard at purchase. To his disappointment, MH did not wish to honor their warranty. For this and your experience, I'm not too keen on piano warranties in general, but Yamaha and Kawai seem to be the exception from what I have read.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,861
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission