2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, An Old Square, Cutec, 36251, clothearednincompo, brdwyguy, chaplincap, AndyG123, Abdol, Curt-S, 13 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sgisela Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I’ve seen a number of threads about musculoskeletal problems that forum members have experienced. Many seem to be related to piano playing, some perhaps not.

My question is somewhat different. Have others found that piano playing has HELPED them with musculoskeletal problems?

A couple years ago, I had a pretty bad bicycle accident and fractured my right wrist. It was bad enough to require surgery and the installation of permanent hardware. The recovery was, as these things go, pretty normal, and involved a lot of therapy. However, I had some ongoing minor issues with the wrist and particularly with some of the tendons. When I decided I wanted to start playing again (which was well over a year after the accident), I was a little afraid that the ‘minor’ issues might become real problems for me. In fact, the opposite ended up happening. Fairly quickly, I started noticing real improvements in my wrist discomfort. I continue to feel that playing has had significant therapeutic value.

I am curious to see if others have had similar experiences, where playing has helped with recovery from orthopedic injuries, arthritis, or other musculoskeletal problems.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My fingers started to lock themselves, and I had shake them a bit and unlock them. This was particularly noticeable - but not at all restricted to - when I played the piano. I did not have a teacher at that point.
I found a (video) teacher who was very good at piano technique - what parts of your arm, wrist, hands and fingers to relax, what parts to use. From day 1 with her lessons, I never again had a locked finger when playing the piano, and slowly never any more in my life either. Actually, I think I type with much more relaxed fingers compared to before her lessons. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
A
A
I've been having hand / finger issues for over a year now, I think it was related to lockdown and spending every waking moment either working at my home desk, or playing piano. The pain worsened with use and is now pretty much constant, although for a few weeks at a time, it will start to feel better.

I've tried taking breaks from work but the pain usually comes back with a vengeance when I resume again, sadly. Given that it has been well over a year now, I'm going to resume playing a bit of piano in the evenings anyway. I doubt it will improve my injury, but hopefully it will at least not aggravate it further than how it currently is.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I have a natural tendency to ball my hands up in a fist (when I'm sleeping, concentrating) and playing keeps that at bay and provides relief. Usually when I go a few days without practicing and then have a really great practice session, my whole wrist will "pop, or crack", as if it had suddenly been freed from the locked position it would be in from the lack of motion. Just like your body would do if your lazy and never move. If you're doing it right, playing should provide relief.

Last edited by itsfreakingmeout; 05/30/21 03:48 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
In the past year, I've been playing slower pieces including Jazz tunes in slow swing, Classical pieces like Bach WTC Prelude in C. Before playing a note, make sure the hands & fingers are hanging loose on the keys. Try to practice your pieces even slower and feel the fingers pressing every key and then releasing the pressure.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have better posture at the piano than I do at my work desk. Also depending on what I'm doing while working, I have more or less tension. For example, if I'm coding data, I have to pay close attention to keep tension out of my shoulders, wrists, etc., and I have make sure I'm not trying to type or select text too quickly. I had a very sore thumb one time and I realized I was slamming my thumb into the space bar during a particular coding task... Coding is also (for me) mouse-heavy, so sometimes I switch from RH to LH for mousing just to give myself right side a break.

I also am now very careful to take lots of breaks while working, get up and move around, do gentle stretches of my hands/wrists/arms.

At the piano, I am much more relaxed and I think the movement spreads my hands out and releases a lot of tension. The only thing I have to be careful about is if I'm playing/working on something new, sometimes tension creeps into my shoulders and if I'm not careful I can give myself a headache.

ETA: so the point is, I generally am much better at the piano keyboard than at the computer keyboard. Of course, I rarely practice piano for more than 2 hours in a row, and I don't have piano deadlines etc. Whereas at the computer, I have deadlines and all kinds of other stressors involved...

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 05/31/21 09:41 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
Sgisela Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks to everyone who responded! I guess the relatively small number of responses means something, although I’m not sure whether it means that I don’t ask good questions, or people are more attuned to their bodies when things go wrong than when things go right, or that very few people have experienced significant musculoskeletal benefits from playing piano.

But there does seem to be a consensus that good technique and avoiding tension can go a long way to preventing piano related musculoskeletal problems.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I guess that a number of people did not have any problems to start with. I think that if you do have some sort of issues, a certain type and amount of physical activity like piano playing can help, but it could also be done with other ways. I dont think the benefits are specifically related to the piano but simply to the actual mouvements.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
17th Adilia Alieva International Music Competition
by Alex-Peter - 01/26/22 06:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,362
Posts3,164,093
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission