2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (clothearednincompo, brdwyguy, cygnusdei, 36251, beeboss, chopin_r_us, Animisha, 13 invisible), 1,108 guests, and 716 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Since I got the Adam A7X monitors, I am revisiting all my piano VSTs... Someday I will make a list for myself, as I can't keep fresh on my head all of them crazy. The A7X show some problems which were not noticed with the JBL LSR305 but also make some VSTs sound just gorgeous.

All in all, my currently preferred VSTs are:

-VSL Synchron Bösendorfer Imperial
-VSL Synchron Bösendorfer 280VC
-VI Labs Modern U (for me the best upright by far)
-VI Labs Ravenscroft 275

The best modelled is if course Pianoteq 7 grin

On deep testing phase, I am trying now:

-Audio Brewers Pianoforte

But on my tests I rediscovered some nice to play ones, as NI The Grandeur, XLN Addictive Keys, UVI Austrian Grand, SSS Signature Grand, several Synthogy ones and some others. Sincerely, there are few VSTs which I completely dislike. I can enjoy playing most of them from time to time. The VPC1 helps a lot.

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
R
R
VSL, of course its great

This is the minimum requirements.

Windows 8.1/10 (latest update, 64-bit), Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Pro
OSX 10.10.5, Intel Core i5
SSD (M2, SATA 6 or USB3/3.1, UASP Support - HFS+, APFS or NTFS formatted) for the sample content
16 GB RAM
VIENNA KEY or other USB-eLicenser (e.g. a Cubase- or Nuendo-Key – Soft-eLicensers and iLoks are NOT supported)
Free storage space for the Standard Library: 549.4 GB
Free storage space for the Full Library: 1.2 TB

R
R
Also for those using Ravenscroft 275. Did you change the sensitivity curve at all or do you leave it at the default.

and do use use the reverb setting at all or just play with the Microphones

Ron
KAWAI CA79

Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
Also for those using Ravenscroft 275. Did you change the sensitivity curve at all or do you leave it at the default.

and do use use the reverb setting at all or just play with the Microphones

Ron
KAWAI CA79

Minimally I have 2 curves saved that I switch around all the time for either a mellow or a bright sound. The other effects is up to your preference, though when learning a piece I tend keep the effects minimal (no or very light reverb).

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by HZPiano
I can of course see (and hear) how VSL is in another league. If I were to invest into VSL, it probably would be either the CFX or the 280vc.

Then again, in that case I would want a VPC1 (or VPC2) and an upgraded computer as well, a total investment that won't be within my realm for some years to come. And at a total of around €2,500, such an amount could also buy me a decent double bass (instead)--and there's nothing virtual about a beautiful succulent Spirocore-stringed contrabass 😋!

To keep pricing down I always try to find used stuff and strictly buy software with deals. I bought my vpc-1 secondhand for €650, and was even lucky enough (or maybe it's not luck, but that's a different story) to find the synchron piano's bundle used for a price (can't remember exactly how much) that was a bit lower than the deal with vouchers + piano discounts that was available at that time. The rest I bought with voucher deals combined with introductory deals.

Aside from adding ssd's and an exra 8gb of ram to my existing 8gb ram, I did not update my pc, which was already just midrange when i bought it about 6 years ago, but it still runs everything quite well. The only libary that really gives me problems is the synchron imperial using too much mics. Somehow that one seems to use more resources than the rest. The other one's mostly run well. So, I do not think vsl is that demanding on pc resources, compared to other vst's.

If your interested in vsl but pricing is too high, I would advise to wait for the next voucher deal. I can't promise they will do that again, but I think vsl has this voucher deal once every 2 years or so. You can buy 3 vouchers of €100 and you get 4 of them, so 1 for free. If you combine this with buying their piano's only in a temporary discount, like an introducory discount or sometimes they just have the piano's on a regular discount, I think that way their piano's are in the range of affordability of other vst's like garritan cfx. And then, i'd say their a steal, given the quality.

Also you can find them used sometimes on the vi-control forum, that's where i found my synchron piano's bundle used, but since re-selling vsl products includes sending the physical key + paying a fee, I think the price must be pretty good to benefit from it.

But i sure agree a contrabass would be nice as well! smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi @U3piano, we are definitely cloned!. I got my VPC1 used also at a close price to yours, 100€ more. Mine included though Synthogy Ivory II Grands and American Concert D, along some good quality Harman-Kardon speakers (not monitors) and even a custom built bench and a piano bench. So it was a sweet deal!

Also, I only buy VSTs when heavily discounted (as the VSL offers you comment) or when I get them for free wink (as the Pianoforte by Audio Brewers)

And my main VST computer is a 2014 i5 desktop which I got really cheap and upgraded with more RAM and some SSDs.

BTW, I have just played for half an hour my U3. Is the best way to begin my working day! thumb

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Hi @U3piano, we are definitely cloned!.

This is true, haha. It's getting a bit scary, actually. grin

My vpc-1 actually included pianoteq stage, but since I don't like the sound, I haven't really used it so far.

Yes, that's a perfect way to start your day!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Hi @U3piano, we are definitely cloned!.

This is true, haha. It's getting a bit scary, actually. grin

My vpc-1 actually included pianoteq stage, but since I don't like the sound, I haven't really used it so far.

Yes, that's a perfect way to start your day!

Please, tell me you are NOT going to buy a pair of used Adam A7X laugh

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Please, tell me you are NOT going to buy a pair of used Adam A7X laugh

Hmmm.... how are they pleasing you? smile

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Ron, I paid close attention to Stu's review of the R275. I also got some feedback from Hayden at PianoGroove. Hayden is simply using the default close mic setting. I play with headphones. As Stu says in the the review, if you use the Player mics only and headphones, it really does seem like you are at the actual piano. So far I have found that playing with the player mics only, I can practice for a long time without the fatigue I experience from the internal Kawai sounds.

It was the tone of the R275 on Hayden's lessons that moved me to buy this VST. You can hear it here: PianoGroove

Last edited by ˆTomLCˆ; 05/28/21 07:09 PM.

Kawai NV10
R
R
Hi Tom

Thanks for the feedback.
I basically play with the Kawai speakers and the close mic is kind of flat. I am actually using the side microphone believe it or not with 20 wet reverb on the small concert hall setting. none of the other combinations have worked so far.

Ron

Originally Posted by ˆTomLCˆ
Ron, I paid close attention to Stu's review of the R275. I also got some feedback from Hayden at PianoGroove. Hayden is simply using the default close mic setting. I play with headphones. As Stu says in the the review, if you use the Player mics only and headphones, it really does seem like you are at the actual piano. So far I have found that playing with the player mics only, I can practice for a long time without the fatigue I experience from the internal Kawai sounds.

It was the tone of the R275 on Hayden's lessons that moved me to buy this VST. You can hear it here: PianoGroove

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by U3piano
To keep pricing down [...] would be nice as well! smile

Thank you, @U3piano for this extensive response! Food 🍰 for thought. Multiple foods 🍰🍰🍰, actually 😋).

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

R
R
Well, I too the plunge and got Garritan CFX and wow. The sound is amazing right from the start.
I just could not get the thinness out of the Ravenscroft. That has more to do with my playing ability and style than the software I think.
I have heard guys knock that thing out of the water, just not me.
As for playing, I am still not sure one is better ten the other. The Ravenscroft just feels right under my fingers.
I think I will keep using it for Jazz and Classical and especially for practicing so I can get the mechanics right.
The whole piano just feels perfect for me with Ravenscroft.

However for playing, especially pop or movie theme or anything you want to rock, the sound from Garritan is just amazing.

You can here the piano. It really is amazing.

Ron

C
C
To sum this up, I'm surprised people like the modeled VSTs like Pianoteq, which sound too artificial too me - they're too "perfect" in a cold computer way, while in Garritan you can hear the body of the piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm with you on that, Christopher. We should start a thread called "Give Me Anything But Pianoteq".
Originally Posted by Christopher90
To sum this up, I'm surprised people like the modeled VSTs like Pianoteq, which sound too artificial too me - they're too "perfect" in a cold computer way, while in Garritan you can hear the body of the piano.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I'm with you on that, Christopher. We should start a thread called "Give Me Anything But Pianoteq".

Why ? Pianoteq gives you opportunity to repeat yourself enough for 10000+ post club. Not bad for Pianoteq don`t you think ?

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
My Belove PianoTeq is being picked on again wink

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by slobajudge
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Why ? Pianoteq gives you opportunity to repeat yourself enough for 10000+ post club. Not bad for Pianoteq don`t you think ?

So that is how MacMacMac got his post count up so high laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Here’s what Stu says ‘bout Pianoteq; in a nutshell, he recommends it for that ‘pure piano’ experience alongside VSL and Garritan. I don’t necessarily agree on the last two (VSL/Garritan), but fully support him on his Pianoteq voyage to the stars!

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Pure piano experience, hah. smirk

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,676
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission