2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by SiFi
Originally Posted by bennevis
Yellow Submarine (Beatles).......
How about - all pop, apart from a few golden oldies? smirk (They know which they are.)

ha Would you call Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" a golden oldie? Just trying to establish a frame of reference . . .

"Wish You Were Here" as a golden oldie? It is too new for me to even have heard it! smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Originally Posted by BruceD
How about - all pop, apart from a few golden oldies? smirk (They know which they are.)

ha Would you call Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" a golden oldie? Just trying to establish a frame of reference . . .
"Wish You Were Here" as a golden oldie? It is too new for me to even have heard it! smile Cheers!
Yikes - THIS is the "Wish You Were Here" that I remember.....and it isn't by Pink Floyd.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

"Wish You Were Here" as a golden oldie? It is too new for me to even have heard it! smile

Cheers!

I bet you a dollar you've heard it. Go to the piano, hold down the sustaining pedal, and play these notes, mezzo-forte, at about mm=120: Bb3-F4-G3-E4 [let them ring for a bit]. Then tell me you never heard that iconic riff before!

Then listen to this, the opening track, until at least 3:40.

SRF
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
Chopin Ballades for me. My Professor suggested I consider one for LRSM, but I had trouble even listening through them. They're just... boring. Long and boring. YMMV.

Haha I almost wanted to say "I'm ready to make some enemies especially with that Chopin Ballade 4 thread, but Chopin Ballades". Ironically, I learned 1, 3 and 4, but I never play them anymore.

Before I learned them I liked listening to them, but after learning them I find them repetitive and boring.

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/28/21 11:53 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Carey
[...] "Wish You Were Here" as a golden oldie? It is too new for me to even have heard it! smile Cheers!
Yikes - THIS is the "Wish You Were Here" that I remember.....and it isn't by Pink Floyd.

Carey:

That made me smile! That's the one I remember, too! smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

Cheers!
Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" was released in September of 1975, which is almost half a century ago. shocked

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]I bet you a dollar you've heard it.[...]

I'll bet you two dollars that I haven't!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Cheers!

You're on. Now prove it!

SRF
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Cheers!

You're on. Now prove it!

1) I never listen to any radio broadcast where such music might have been played.
2) A CD containing that music is not in my collection.
3) If it were background music in a mall or at my friendly dentist's, I would have had to be aware of it to recognize it; I turn all that music off!
4) If I can't remember it ever having been subliminally fed to me in context 3), then I can't knowingly say that I have ever heard it.
5) To admit that I have heard it, I would have to recognize it upon hearing it; I don't.

Case proven?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
1) I never listen to any radio broadcast where such music might have been played.
3) If it were background music in a mall or at my friendly dentist's, I would have had to be aware of it to recognize it; I turn all that music off!
4) If I can't remember it ever having been subliminally fed to me in context 3), then I can't knowingly say that I have ever heard it.
5) To admit that I have heard it, I would have to recognize it upon hearing it; I don't.

Case proven?
Negative. Did you do my test? Bb-F-G-E? Dude you have heard that, unless you died before 1975.

SRF
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Lest you think that Bruce is the only one in the universe who hasn't heard it, I haven't heard it either. smile Really! And yes, I listened to the riff as directed, but no bells rang. A bit hazy about what I listened to in 1975 but I do recall accidentally hearing a few Abba songs in 1976 because all the 10-year-olds in the class I was teaching that year were besotted with them.

Du holde Kunst...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Lest you think that Bruce is the only one in the universe who hasn't heard it, I haven't heard it either. smile Really! And yes, I listened to the riff as directed, but no bells rang. A bit hazy about what I listened to in 1975 but I do recall accidentally hearing a few Abba songs in 1976 because all the 10-year-olds in the class I was teaching that year were besotted with them.

Aagh! I had heard that riff before I ever heard it. Bb below middle C, F above middle C, G below middle C, E above middle C. Pedal down, let it ring. This is music for the ages, a bit like ABBA actually.

SRF
B
B

Aagh! I had heard that riff before I ever heard it. Bb below middle C, F above middle C, G below middle C, E above middle C. Pedal down, let it ring. This is music for the ages, a bit like ABBA actually.
Nope, no bells rang with me either, not even with an obscure grey cell which has been hibernating since 1975.

And in that year, I was exposed - mostly against my will - to daily Top 10 (or Top 100, depending on the DJ on BBC Radio 1)......

If music be the food of love, play on!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
They’ve heard it but it’s important for them to pretend they haven’t 😉 Leave them alone.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Nope, no bells rang with me either, not even with an obscure grey cell which has been hibernating since 1975.

And in that year, I was exposed - mostly against my will - to daily Top 10 (or Top 100, depending on the DJ on BBC Radio 1)......

I am with Bruce, Currawong, and bennevis. I have positively definitely NEVER heard this music before. Since I never listen to this type of music, I do not see any reason why I should have heard it. No pretence!!

In and around 1975 I was being introduced to Wagner's "Ring" at English National Opera. Unforgettable!

Case proven?
Ditto for me on all counts. I stopped "intentionally" listening to this type of music in the early 1970s when I was immersed in studying and performing classical music. In late 1990s I was involuntarily exposed to a bunch of new stuff by my kids. My son in particular developed a passion for the alternative rock group, Smashing Pumpkins which was into gothic rock, heavy metal, progressive rock and electronica. (Pink Floyd seems quite tame by comparison.) The only thing that got me through those years was the fact that he also loved playing the Baritone Horn in his high school concert band. grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene wins this one. I shall leave you all alone. But I want you to play this at my funeral so that I can have the last laugh.

https://www.guitar.ch/en-us/guitar/riff/riff-pink_floyd-shine_on_you_crazy_diamond.html

SRF
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by CyberGene
They’ve heard it but it’s important for them to pretend they haven’t [...]

The only rock I know is the one I have been living under all my life!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Carey

Case proven?
Ditto for me on all counts. I stopped "intentionally" listening to this type of music in the early 1970s when I was immersed in studying and performing classical music. In late 1990s I was involuntarily exposed to a bunch of new stuff by my kids. My son in particular developed a passion for the alternative rock group, Smashing Pumpkins which was into gothic rock, heavy metal, progressive rock and electronica. (Pink Floyd seems quite tame by comparison.) The only thing that got me through those years was the fact that he also loved playing the Baritone Horn in his high school concert band. grin

Smashing Pumpkins and Pink Floyd are both exceptional musical groups that have brought joy and musical transcendence to millions.

You should be proud of your son for his exceptional taste!

At the same time, I admire your preference for the old school stuff.

As for me, my favorite musical experience of all time was listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon with the lights out, 4' speakers moved to the left and right of my head, just laying in the blackness listening to the album from reel to reel, twice, doing nothing but listen.

My absolute #1 musical experience in this lifetime, be happy to have something exceed it. There was a Mahler #2 rehearsal that came close and a Red Rocks concert too, but nah.

Anyways. Pink Floyd is my favorite of all time. Probably a generational thing we are bantering right now.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski

Originally Posted by hawgdriver
Smashing Pumpkins and Pink Floyd are both exceptional musical groups that have brought joy and musical transcendence to millions. You should be proud of your son for his exceptional taste!
Actually he loved Smashing Pumpkins so much he attended at least 10 of their concerts over the years. The band members began to recognize him and appreciated his loyalty. smile
At the same time, I admire your preference for the old school stuff.
For me, old school included ALL pop music written before 1968 as well as classical. There was just a point where I lost interest in the new stuff. Heck - I even played and sang country western music in a bar in Central City CO back in the mid 60s as a summer job. I was terrible.
As for me, my favorite musical experience of all time was listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon with the lights out, 4' speakers moved to the left and right of my head, just laying in the blackness listening to the album from reel to reel, twice, doing nothing but listen.
The Bach B Minor Mass and the Brahms Requiem do the same thing for me. ha

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission