2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (btcomm, accordeur, BravoRomeo, Baltguy, An Old Square, anotherscott, busa, 16 invisible), 716 guests, and 497 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
So I was having issues with precision when playing arpeggios, missing notes or hitting wrong ones, and I decided to start practicing them eyes closed. Since that seems to help with the proprioperception and also has some other advantages (like opening your ears more) I have been doing all my technical exercises that way for the last few weeks (which is not as hard as it sounds BTW).

As I was practicing I thought about the latest thread about Hanon in other keys and what other unusual ways people practice technical exercises or technically difficult fragments. I already know some from various videos, some of which I use myself. Josh Wright made a whole series of scales practice videos where he uses a different way of playing them each time and some of them are somewhat unusal like "high fingers" or "shake your hands after each note". Graham Fitch has some unusual ways of practicing like his "mirror image in the other hand" thing. Paul Barton made a few videos for advanced technique like playing the 3-4-5 chromatic scale while holding a ping-pong ball.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
To improve voicing technique, Graham Fitch has an excellent series on ‘miming’/‘ghosting’.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
T
T
My first 22 minutes are a bit unusual —technique left over from 64 years as a guitarist. Learned it from Al DeMeola himself.
I do the blindfold thing like you but I use surgical gloves one size smaller than normal and a breathe strip on my nose.
Glad no one can see me…I just roll for 22 minutes nonstop on whatever exercise -usually pentatonics in circle of 5ths or several Hannons.
Analogous to a baseball player coming to bat. They warm up w two bats or weights on the bat.
I didn’t start piano until I was 72 sooo I tried my best to transfer skills. When you remove the gloves you will be stunned at how your fingers feel for rest of practice.
Guitar music theory of course jumped started my piano training and thankful but the physical part plays havoc w your chops. Guitar playing ruins chops for piano.
Even my piano teacher spent half a lesson explaining how guitar gripping affects hands but although semiretired I can still make good money on guitar. It is pale next to guitar.
On piano I’ll likely be ready for my first tour at 99. Lol

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Terrilyn
My first 22 minutes are a bit unusual —technique left over from 64 years as a guitarist. Learned it from Al DeMeola himself.
I do the blindfold thing like you but I use surgical gloves one size smaller than normal and a breathe strip on my nose.
May I ask you what is the breathe strip for?

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Definitely agree with blind practice. I play without looking at the keys in lessons, when I'm really focusing on the sound. I have found it very useful to improvise or come up with improvised exercises for technique. I try to think of the sensation in my mind which will result in the physical technique which I want to produce.

T
T
Yes —the breath strip
I have irregular breathing patterns that were evident after 2x by pass surgery like nearly 20 years ago. Dr noticed the irregularity. Realized as a jazz guitarist my breathing would vary when I play long lead lines—(sometimes no breathing)took some breathing techniques and w my deviated septum the breathing strip really helps as it’s like non stop aerobic activity when I play for those 22 minutes..

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I have used a Virgil Practice Clavier for fifty years, which about as unusual as possible, but it works for me. Without it I doubt I would be playing at all at my age.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How can I remove the sostenuto bar in a grand piano?
by EdwardPiano - 12/05/21 09:29 AM
Sanding hammers - weird question
by Del Vento - 12/05/21 09:19 AM
Jonah
by tre corda - 12/05/21 09:17 AM
Interested in a DIY hybrid piano?
by Del Vento - 12/05/21 09:03 AM
DPs and spares
by stevedoz - 12/05/21 07:56 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,396
Posts3,150,743
Members103,523
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission