2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
I found the same phenomina when planning my wedding. Similiar items were triple when you put the word wedding before it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The preeminent piano lamp supplier is Troy out of Vermont. Their stuff is very expensive. It is in fact, solid brass and American made. This is what you see in most piano stores. There are lower cost alternatives in Home Depot, Lowes and on the web. These are brass plated and come from China and Bangladesh. Typically these are not sold in piano stores as they are not market to piano stores.

The preeminent bench supplier to most piano stores is the Jansen Co. out of Wisconsin. There stuff is expensive. It is made out of quality materials and American made. There are lower cost alternatives in other cataloges and on the web. Most piano stores do not stock these or show these as they have found most of these not durable enough for their customer's satisfaction.

Interesting that you have lifted up two American niche companies who are still hanging on. By all means, let's diss them and insist on off-shore alternatives and put them out of business. Their prices (wholesale and retail) are not "artificially" high. I happen to know these folks and they do not drive Bentleys. Nor, do the dealers that handle their products.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sticking up for American business, Marty. I use a generic torchiere for a piano lamp, but I love my Jansen artist bench that came with the B so much I am considering getting a duet size one in leather. Pretty spendy, but worth every penny.

PS--Do the fancy Euro makes like Steingraber, Bechstein, Bösendorfer, etc. come with something equivalent to Jansen?

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
...I [i]love my Jansen artist bench that came with the B so much I am considering getting a duet size one in leather.[/i]
You have some duets in mind? I'm ready. smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
wink Well, I play duets sometimes with my teacher. Other than that, I prefer the larger top area of a duet bench. More room to pile books and crap. laugh

In reality, I like to be able to shift on the bench without having to move the bench. With those solo size benches, you have to be careful not to shift too far!

S
S
You can get House of Troy Piano Lamps through the internet for 25% to 40% off, no sales tax, and somtimes free shiping. Just google for House of Troy. However, even with the discount they are not inexpensive. I do not know what kind of discount you can get from a Piano Store.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Marty Flinn:
The preeminent piano lamp supplier is Troy out of Vermont. Their stuff is very expensive. It is in fact, solid brass and American made. This is what you see in most piano stores. There are lower cost alternatives in Home Depot, Lowes and on the web. These are brass plated and come from China and Bangladesh. Typically these are not sold in piano stores as they are not market to piano stores.

The preeminent bench supplier to most piano stores is the Jansen Co. out of Wisconsin. There stuff is expensive. It is made out of quality materials and American made. There are lower cost alternatives in other cataloges and on the web. Most piano stores do not stock these or show these as they have found most of these not durable enough for their customer's satisfaction.

Interesting that you have lifted up two American niche companies who are still hanging on. By all means, let's diss them and insist on off-shore alternatives and put them out of business. Their prices (wholesale and retail) are not "artificially" high. I happen to know these folks and they do not drive Bentleys. Nor, do the dealers that handle their products.
Well said Marty.

Enjoyed meeting you and Jennifer at the NAMM show.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

PS--Do the fancy Euro makes like Steingraber, Bechstein, Bösendorfer, etc. come with something equivalent to Jansen?
Regarding Bösendorfer, their benches are nice, but Jansen makes a much sturdier bench. It's also *A LOT* heavier. That said, there is no doubt that Jansen makes a very nice bench worth the money - a Jansen bench will probably out last the piano; it's built like a tank.

However, the same *cannot* be said for House of Troy lamps. I have this lamp:
Piano lamp

It isn't worth even close to $280. The bulbs in it always need to be tightened to prevent them from vibrating, the "arms" that come from the music-stand clamp to the actual lamp were crooked - I spent the first month bending them to get them in adjustment. The only reason why I kept it was because the piano dealer gave it to me as a "thank-you" for buying the piano. So it was a freebee. But had I paid for it, I would have sent it right back because it's a piece of junk. The most I'd pay for it is $50 due to the unique design. If you don't require something unique, I would steer clear of House of Troy.

Sorry, just my $.02.

Derick

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
double-post

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
double-post

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I find it interesting that someone would buy a cheaply made Chinese piano and then get high quality, American made accessories like the bench and lamp.

Bear904 Offline OP
OP Offline
Part of my point Swampwiz, it's all part of the "appearance"...

I'm just as haughty and knowledgeable as you? Therefore I spent an outrageous amount on this lamp to compliment my piano to maintain appearances. Not once has someone mentioned functionality until the last post or so. I love good quality craftsmanship. If it's American made all the better. That still wasn't the point. I don't see people trading in their pianos because it has a European action. Only the Asians are the bad guys......hmmmmmmmmmm.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean someone is still not out to get you.
1986 Kawai UST-7
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Derick II:
[b]
Regarding Bösendorfer, their benches are nice, but Jansen makes a much sturdier bench. It's also *A LOT* heavier. That said, there is no doubt that Jansen makes a very nice bench worth the money - a Jansen bench will probably out last the piano; it's built like a tank.

However, the same *cannot* be said for House of Troy lamps. I have this lamp:
Piano lamp

It isn't worth even close to $280. The bulbs in it always need to be tightened to prevent them from vibrating, the "arms" that come from the music-stand clamp to the actual lamp were crooked - I spent the first month bending them to get them in adjustment. The only reason why I kept it was because the piano dealer gave it to me as a "thank-you" for buying the piano. So it was a freebee. But had I paid for it, I would have sent it right back because it's a piece of junk. The most I'd pay for it is $50 due to the unique design. If you don't require something unique, I would steer clear of House of Troy.

Sorry, just my $.02.

Derick [/b]
Is it a fluorescent lamp?

I would never clamp anything onto my piano anyway. eek

I much prefer my $75 torchiere, thank you very much. I suppose Troy's more traditional lamps (table lamps, torchieres, that sort of thing) are better. But they are still spendy.

About benches...thanks for the info. I know about the weight of Jansen benches. At least they never scoot around. My local dealer has a duet one in front of their concert grand(s). Talk about HEAVY!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The clamp-on lamp has 4 incandescent bulbs. What I like about the clamp-on is that it can't tip over and fall onto the piano - I had that happen with my last piano and a free-standing lamp. I paid big bucks for the fancy music desk, so believe me I would never clamp anything onto it that would damage it!

The Bösendorfer bench certainly won't scoot around, but I don't think it would withstand the kind of punishment that the Jansen would.

Derick

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Derick. My concern about a clamp on lamp is that my piano is a S&S B with satin lacquer finish, which is softer than poly. And I like to close my piano completely when not in use to help the D-C work better. Otherwise, I'd do something like yours. wink

My torchiere is positioned where it can't be tripped on or run into.

BTW, your fancy music desk was a big improvement. The stock one is too plain for such a fine piano!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Derick long time no see!!!!

If you look closely at Derick's sig line you can see the clamp-on lamp on his music desk.

I agree they are pricey, but I imagine the production run is very small as they have a dedicated use. Price is often dictated by economies of scale. I highly doubt H.O.T. can even fill the back of a station wagon with a year's demand for those.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey USAPT!

I check back here from time to time to see what's going on. But not much posting. I agree, probably the demand is so low for those lamps that they have to charge a lot for them.

I was watching a show on Natgeo about long-distance truckers hauling a load to Alaska and thought about you. Holy carp, some of the stuff was scary. Not being able to get the truck in gear to slow it down while going down a mountain pass.

How's school?

Derick

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission