2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 214 of 237 1 2 212 213 214 215 216 236 237
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IcedTeaNoIce
Curious because the N1x I just bought is a floor model (delivering tomorrow), however the owner assured me it only came in a month ago, and was only played by one person before me who wanted it for next to nothing because it wasn't brand new.

I hope I'm not being naive in assuming he was telling me the truth. Is there a way of finding out when a particular instrument was actually shipped to a store?
I don't see any reason to distrust the salesman.

For reference, the N1x has only been on the market for 2 years, so that is a boundary.

We haven't seen many AvantGrands on the US market (new or used) for a while. The demand significantly exceeds supply IMHO.

We have a thread summarising used hybrids for sale in the US; last one we saw come to market was 5 May (and we have been searching).

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...iano-market-snapshot-us.html#Post3114046

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
However, one nitpick, the creaky bench drives me crazy. I've got to have a bench that is quiet, otherwise, it distracts me. You should be grateful you don't have the same affliction I do.

Thanks for the feedback. My previous bench was driving me crazy and I expected to have that resolved with this new bench. So it's definitely annoying to still have a creaky bench. I haven't looked into why it's doing that but once I do I will check with the dealer if it's not an easy fix.

Originally Posted by RCKFlorida
I resolved my "creaky bench" by adding soap to the wood where the leg touches the bench. It acts as a lubricant. Problem solved.

That sounds interesting, thanks!

I
I
So I just received my N1x, and as an owner of any expensive new thing I’m going to be extremely critical despite the fact that it is amazing. A couple of things I hope you fellow owners can assure me of/help me with:

- the AC IN where the power cord plugs into the piano is very loose. Normal? It appears that it WILL break eventually the way it is secured inside the cabinet

- firmware on piano is 1.00 , do the “later models” not get the latest firmware? Do I even want to update?

- headphone hook that mounts underneath the piano did not get installed. Does it even come with? Not a biggy as I can very easily make my own but I would like to bring it up to my dealer

- I guess connecting to smart pianist app isn’t as simple as plugging lightning to USB A in the front? laugh

I will have a video posted to my YouTube in the coming weeks hopefully showcasing the full extent of this thing! Loving the action!

My Youtube.

Pianos: Yamaha N1X, Yamaha P-155B
VST's: VSL Yamaha CFX Standard

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I know the CLP series pianos traditionally came with a headphone hook. (My dealer forgot to install it. I had him mail it to me and I installed it. One or two screws.)
Surely an Avant Grand costing three times as much should come with a headphone hook? (But perhaps I should leave it to the N1X clubbers to respond.)

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
A headphone hook, you say!

Would that compel you to come back to the club? We all know you’ve deserted the N1X, and for what, an 8” subwoofer, improved Shigeru, and a headphone hook?

Can’t say I’d be happy with a puny 6” subwoofer now that I know there’s 8” out there but what am I saying? I love the N1X, yet here I am debating over two more inches of woof!

Seriously, I wonder if we could now see an N2X, but then again Yamaha seems unfazed by these things, and the N1X is plenty good for less money; I just wished it had a headphone hook; how dare you, Yamaha!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I know the CLP series pianos traditionally came with a headphone hook. (My dealer forgot to install it. I had him mail it to me and I installed it. One or two screws.)
Surely an Avant Grand costing three times as much should come with a headphone hook? (But perhaps I should leave it to the N1X clubbers to respond.)

Yes, the N1X has an headphone hook... and the movers forgot to install it. I had to look for it in the 2 big cardbox boxes.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by IcedTeaNoIce
So I just received my N1x, and as an owner of any expensive new thing I’m going to be extremely critical despite the fact that it is amazing. A couple of things I hope you fellow owners can assure me of/help me with:

- the AC IN where the power cord plugs into the piano is very loose. Normal? It appears that it WILL break eventually the way it is secured inside the cabinet

I haven't looked at mine since I plugged it in over two years ago. There is some movement, but I wouldn't consider it loose and certainly not "very loose." I can wiggle it some with what I would consider normal force and it's not going to come out unless I pull it out. Here is a quick video.

- firmware on piano is 1.00 , do the “later models” not get the latest firmware? Do I even want to update?

Mine came with 1.00. I didn't even know there was an update available.

- headphone hook that mounts underneath the piano did not get installed. Does it even come with? Not a biggy as I can very easily make my own but I would like to bring it up to my dealer

It definitely should have come with the clip and two screws for mounting. Whoever assembled the N1X forgot to install it. I'm sure you can get one from Yamaha or have your dealer get it through them if they can't find the one that came with yours. Make sure they screwed down the support on the bottom of your pedal box all the way. That seems to get overlooked sometimes.

- I guess connecting to smart pianist app isn’t as simple as plugging lightning to USB A in the front? laugh

I don't really use the app anymore, but when I did, I connected it with the Yamaha UD-WL01 USB Adaptor.

I will have a video posted to my YouTube in the coming weeks hopefully showcasing the full extent of this thing! Loving the action!

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it.

God Bless,
David

I
I
Thanks for the quick response and thorough answers David!

Your video makes it very clear that my AC IN outlet needs some serious tightening down as yours is rock solid. I’ll be sure to write my dealer a friendly email about the hook as well.

In terms of firmware I suppose I’ll just leave it for now unless someone knows of how to update this?

My Youtube.

P
P
Is it just me or the matching bench has a squeezy sound?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I wasn't aware of any firmware updates, does anyone have anything other than 1.00? There's no update listed on their website: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/mus...antgrand/n1x/downloads.html#product-tabs

(for reference, you'd usually see the update in downloads section for the product, for example:https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/clp-685/downloads.html)

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
The matching bench of my N3X also has a squeezy sound. It eliminates when I adjusted the bench to be a bit higher.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
What is a "squeezy" sound? Do you mean "squeaky"?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's what happened with my bench. I raised it a tiny bit and now it's silent. We'll see what happens when I record again.

Last edited by Pathbreaker; 05/19/21 06:36 AM.
I
I
Originally Posted by pianissimo_
Is it just me or the matching bench has a squeezy sound?

The bench that came with my N1x is silent and rock solid. I was actually really happy with the bench, much better than the one I just bought off of amazon a few months ago.

My Youtube.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
What is a "squeezy" sound? Do you mean "squeaky"?

You know, I thought my bench was making a ‘squeezy’ sound, but then I had someone else sit on it and it didn’t make a single noise. It turns out it was I who ‘squeezed’ and not the bench. I’ve been hitting the gym ever since, but still the ‘squeeze’ won’t go away!

I
I
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I wasn't aware of any firmware updates, does anyone have anything other than 1.00? There's no update listed on their website: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/mus...antgrand/n1x/downloads.html#product-tabs

You are right, that's good to know.

Has anyone noticed under the Boesendorfer Imperial (preset 2) the Bb2 is loud? I noticed when playing a Bb chord in a song it always came out louder than the others and I isolated it to that note.

Last edited by IcedTeaNoIce; 05/19/21 08:19 AM.

My Youtube.

K
K
Originally Posted by Pete14
Can’t say I’d be happy with a puny 6” subwoofer now that I know there’s 8” out there but what am I saying? I love the N1X, yet here I am debating over two more inches of woof!

grin 2 little inches more, which sounds negligible at first, but Pete, please don't forget, the membrane area increases by square, so that the 8" is almost twice as large as the 6". As if you had now installed a second woofer, but perhaps with twice as bad harmonic distortion, even though the first sounded too bumpy on its own ...
Can that go well? We shall hear. Hopefully that doesn't squeeze the ears in a completely different way ... crazy

Last edited by Kammerklang; 05/19/21 04:12 PM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
blush

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I've had my new N1X for 6 days now. I originally bought an NU1X, but it had a "loud note" problem with A3 and ab 6 (A flat 6). A technician tried to do some sort of reset or recalibration, but it wasn't fixed. So I upgraded.

It's not perfect, but I'm very happy with the N1X.

I recorded a couple of songs as demo/audition pieces. I need to work on my voice delivery. I decided to try Over the Rainbow with a bit of a rhythmic lilt.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Dave, this is REALLY nice - I so enjoyed it! Good "sound" too, imo. Is the piano sound coming to us from the speakers to a mic or is it from a line out?

Page 214 of 237 1 2 212 213 214 215 216 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission