2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I tried the demo for PianoTeq many years ago. I hope they can make it available on the iPadOS and then it will have major value. After trying PianoTeq I went with the Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D. It was able to achieve a pretty great sound but it took a lot of effort to get there. It was still lacking something....

I'm now a longtime user of Garritan CFX so that's my vote. The Garritan solved the issues of the ACD and is a consistently satisfying experience to play. It's fairly easy to try all kinds of different settings and find something that sounds good. It can always get better but it's actually difficult to make it sound bad (I did this a lot with the ACD). It's fairly easy to install, license, transport, and use. It's not a bad value either.

I would like to try the VSL but not ready to go there yet. The price of the VSL (would be Steinway for me) is what pushed me to look into upgrading my DP.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
I'll go for the unsung hero.

VSL Bosendorfer Imperial.

+1

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Garritan CFX in close mic player performer setting. EQ to taste.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Regarding the CFX, how should I try setting the EQ to give it a more mellow, rounded tone?
Originally Posted by RinTin
Garritan CFX in close mic player performer setting. EQ to taste.
I just can't get Garritan to sound the way I would like it. It is just so bright. I have been looking at the Ravenscroft 275. Hayden, from PianoGroove uses it for lessons and it sounds just beautiful. His playing talent compared to mine may have something to do with it. frown

Kawai NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Threads likes this make me wish I had the time, ears and means to test out other VSTs. I just like the one I have, and there aren't a lot of good ways to test many others. I just figure it's a deep rabbit hole, and I should just be happy and play what I have, since I'm quite happy with it.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ˆTomLCˆ
Regarding the CFX, how should I try setting the EQ to give it a more mellow, rounded tone?
I just can't get Garritan to sound the way I would like it. It is just so bright. I have been looking at the Ravenscroft 275. Hayden, from PianoGroove uses it for lessons and it sounds just beautiful. His playing talent compared to mine may have something to do with it. frown

I don't have the answer to this question but I tried really hard to get that kind of sound. I'm not sure that it's in the nature of the sampled instrument to sound like that so you will have a hard time getting it to do that. I must have grown to accept the brighter sound at some point.

What I used to do is to reduce the Timbre setting as one way to soften the attack. There were probably some other settings as well but I don't remember anything else. On it's own, the timbre setting anywhere to the left of 12 o'clock can start to get some very interesting results. And I don't think you can reasonably go further than 11 if I remember correctly. I think what happens is that you are somewhat dulling the overall sound so it becomes a kind of blood sacrifice to get that sound.

You can also try changing the tuning and see if that helps. Changing it to Germany/China or International and see what that gets you. Besides that, you can get some distance or more ambient sound profile. But all of these options, except maybe the tuning, will remove some of the close and immediate attack that so much defines the character of the instrument. After a long journey I think I came full circle. This is probably, I'm guessing, one of the main reasons for choosing one VST over another.

What I found most helpful is to try some settings that others are using and then tweak from there. My latest settings are a combination of suggestions I found on here. I tried for example:

rach3master:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...tan-cfx-concert-grand-full-settings.html

But now my settings are quite different from that with no EQ. I hope someone else can help you with an EQ solution because I don't have much knowledge on that side.

Last edited by Pathbreaker; 05/16/21 05:56 PM.
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the reply. I tried her settings, for me they don't work. I do not play classical. Couldn't if I tried. Ballads, etc. So the bright sound is irritating to me. I have Garritan CFX, Walker 1955, PTQ, Baldwin Parlor Grand. I will probably uninstall Garritan and Pianoteq, keep the other two just for the option to play them, and get the Ravenscroft. Yep, Gom. It's a rabbit hole.

Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ravenscroft is brighter than Garritan to begin with. Try EQ and
Player mode. boost the bass and mids

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
D
D
Originally Posted by vagfilm
I picked up this forgotten thread just to bring attention (maybe unnecessary) to a series of youtube posts by Stu Harrison (merriam pianos Toronto) on different VSTs. They are more subjective than objective, and are not endorsed: the guy and the store are in full lockdown and this VST series is his way to maintain activity in the youtube channel.

After a number of other VSTs (including NI Alicia Key's out of everything else, or pianoteq 7 that failed to include the new Mistral), he finally tried out a VSL library: the VSL CFX.

I think that his video deserves a mention in the discussion of this thread.

BTW, Paul Kopf if you are reading this: offer the guy an evaluation license of the synchron pianos. It will be good for business...

Thanks for sharing, dude! Very nice channel and very useful stuff.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RinTin
Ravenscroft is brighter than Garritan to begin with. Try EQ and
Player mode. boost the bass and mids

I’ll try that. Thanks.

Kawai NV10
R
R
Does anybody know if any of these work with Windows 7. Everything talks about Windows 8 or better

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think the following members had Garritan CFX running on Windows 7:

Newbert, Alex C, MooganDavid, Digitalguy

Windows 7 or above was requirement for Garritan CFX up until at least 2016. There haven't been many changes in the software since.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2601603/1.html

R
R
I am really struggling between the Garritan CFX and the Ravenscroft 275
Also looking a lot at the Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D

Basically, I want to replace the internal sound of my CA79.
There is just something I dislike about it and that's ok cause I knew that when I bought it.

Pianotec did nothing for me, except make me like the Kawai sound a little more.

So I need something that is mainly just to play in a standard size living room.

If you tell me the sound of the others is no better then pianotec, I may as well just give up now, but I find that hard to believe.

Ron

Last edited by ronlefebvre; 05/17/21 08:20 PM.

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Why limit your choices to Garritan CFX and Ravenscroft? There are many others.

BTW, if you like the Kawai sound you might like the Kawai EX Pro from Acoustic Samples.

My favorite, though, is the Galaxy Vintage D, a Steinway.

R
R
Those are just the ones that seem the most interesting so far.

Ron

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Why limit your choices to Garritan CFX and Ravenscroft? There are many others.

BTW, if you like the Kawai sound you might like the Kawai EX Pro from Acoustic Samples.

My favorite, though, is the Galaxy Vintage D, a Steinway.

Ron
Kawai CA79

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I really like the sound of the Ravenscroft. I just bought it, but I'm experiencing a problem with the install. Suddenly my pass work doesn't work. And I can't get them to send the reset password. This infuriates me. Why does the only password I used when I signed up not work after I bought the VST?

Last edited by ˆTomLCˆ; 05/17/21 08:43 PM.

Kawai NV10
S
S
I worked with the 1955 Walker today and tweaked it to where I really liked it. Watched a video plus input from Embertone support. I’m blessed with an awesome top notch acoustic, but was actually pretty happy doing a long practice session with the Walker today.

I use NI Noire on original tracks - has it’s own sound (that I really like) and very playable. But I wouldn’t think of recording classical music using Noire as a substitute for my acoustic. However I might try the Walker for that...have a couple pieces I’d like to put on YouTube and might do them VI instead of acoustic. You experts could tell it’s not a Steinway but most folks probably couldn’t.

I’ve never used other premium piano vsts (unless Grandeur and stuff in Komplete is considered premium).

Originally Posted by newer player
I think the following members had Garritan CFX running on Windows 7:

Newbert, Alex C, MooganDavid, Digitalguy

Windows 7 or above was requirement for Garritan CFX up until at least 2016. There haven't been many changes in the software since.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2601603/1.html

If your using that windows 7 for VSTs alone, offline music production (not accessing the net) that's fine. It will provide you stability on your current set up since Windows 7 won't be receiving constant "updates". But if you wish to use the latest version of your DAWs, VSTs, and maximize their potential, an upgrade is necessary, generally speaking... smile

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
Does anybody know if any of these work with Windows 7.

I run VI Labs Modern U (using the standalone UVI player that is included with it) on 64-bit Windows 7. It runs just fine.

I'd reckon that works just as well for their Ravenscroft 275 in that same UVI player.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
Also looking a lot at the Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D

As I was on the brink of purchasing the (very nice) American D (but in the end chose Modern U instead), I asked Synthogy about Windows 7.

They were very helpful in their replies. They told me that they didn't support Windows 7 anymore because of Microsoft's ended support, but as long as my PC would run a properly updated version of W7, then Ivory II American D would run fine. This conversation was somewhere in the last quarter of 2020.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission