2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello piano enthusiasts!

I'll put this into some context before my ask. I'm 41, and growing up played organ all throughout and up to my late teens, then dropped away. My son has a little keyboard that he's be learning on, and in a couple of weeks, he's starting proper piano lessons, and it's invigorated me to get back to a hobby I previously loved, and learn piano myself.

So, to my ask. I have been looking at the CLP and CVP range, I haven't specified a true budget yet, but I want something that's going to satisfy my son's experience from a piano perspective, as well as grow with him as he advances (he's very enthusiastic so no concerns there). For myself, it's a bit fresh, but I want something I'll enjoy playing as well.

I get the whole CLP vs CVP range separators, I see the CVP being something my son would use and fiddle with more than myself, but even then, not sure it's something that burns deep in the 'really want' category. Looking at the options in those ranges, I noticed that when you get up to the CLP785, I can get the CVP805 for the same price. Paring back to the CLP775, it seems like the biggest different is that keys changes from Grand Touch S to the Grand Touch in the 785, and upgraded speakers. Will there be a noticeable difference in the CLP range from 745, 775/785 that is just worth spending the extra $$$ and have the 785 that will hopefully see us through the next 10+ years at least? (I had my Technics organ for 15 years, loved it). OR, should I just get the CVP, and have the best of both worlds? Getting myself in a purchase loop that I need some support with.

Thanks,

Mick

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
IMHO the CLP-785 would be the better choice considering you try it out and like the action. Some say that it’s on the heavy side.

I’m not a fan of the CVP because it’s basically a ‘band-in-a-box’ design that is somewhat rendered obsolete by modern computers and VSTs.

Even the newest CVP model with best sounds will not be able to keep up with VSTs that are constantly evolving. Also, an investment in a computer is a given today, so I assume you already own a half-decent computer to run VSTs. Of course, there’s a learning curve but it can be a lot of fun once you get the hang of it (DAWs, VSTs).

GarageBand comes to mind as a great starting point. It already comes with tons of realistic sounds/instruments and it’s totally free.

If you’re already familiar with the DAW/VST world, then even better, and less of a reason to get the CVP.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Pete! Great feedback. Interesting you mentioned Garageband. My son is obsessed and constantly creating music. I reckon he'd align well with that.

I have read about the heavier keys, is that just on the 785 Grand Action, or it's something across the range of CLP's?

P
P
Originally Posted by Pete14
I’m not a fan of the CVP because it’s basically a ‘band-in-a-box’ design that is somewhat rendered obsolete by modern computers and VSTs.

If you’re already familiar with the DAW/VST world, then even better, and less of a reason to get the CVP.
To each their own, but for me personally, I’m not a fan of the “band in multiple complicated interconnected boxes” that are somewhat rendered obsolete with the next software upgrade! 😁

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The CLP-series pianos are pianos. Period.
The CVP-series pianos have accompaniment features.
The two lines share the same guts ... but you pay thousands more for the CVP-series.
So a low-end CVP might sell for as about much as the high-end CLP. You pay a lots for those accompaniment features!

Also ... you mention that you've looked at prices. Take note: the price is not the price!
The price given is just the "asking price". Expect to pay less. But you can only do that by making an offer.
To see what other people have paid take a look at the prices paid spreadsheet at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwdESI8nPDtaQzhZeUh6UlBRZlk/view?usp=sharing

P
P
Originally Posted by mickyjtwin
I have read about the heavier keys, is that just on the 785 Grand Action, or it's something across the range of CLP's?
The CLP 735 and 745 have the much lighter “Grand Touch S” action, while the CLP 775, 785, and 795 have the heavier “Grand Touch” action. It’s all personal preference.

Last edited by PlsDontShootMe; 03/31/21 08:33 PM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
There’s some debate about the weighing and overall playability (feel) between the actions in the new 7XX lineup.

You probably know that the 745 uses the GrandTouch-S action which is supposedly lighter than the GrandTouch action in the 785\775.

Now, the 785 has ‘counterweights’ and the 775 does not (the only difference between the two actions). The theory is that the 785 will feel lighter or at least have a faster return (in faster passages) due to the counterweights, but there are also some believing there’s not much of a difference in practical terms.

This is why it would be good if you could try all these ‘actions’ to better decide which suits you best.

When it comes to actions we, here, tend to be heavily divided, but in the end this a very personal and subjective matter, and you should go with what works for you; incidentally, the most expensive action might not necessarily be the best action for you.

Regarding the ‘sound’ of the 785, it seems like Yamaha has done a good job, and most ‘round here seem satisfied with it. It also doesn’t hurt that it is a beautiful instrument.

M
OP Offline
M
So take the example of a 9 y/o. Coming from a zero-base, would he even know what "feels" good? Similar for myself. I've only ever played on an organ, and from a piano perspective, I have no base-line either. How different could they really be (GT-S vs GT) that I would be "oh, that feels so much better"? Hopefully that comes across as just a genuine question, it is meant to be.

I can't speak to the ability of a nine-year-old to judge a piano. I used to be nine ... but I haven't been nine for many years. smile

Still, anyone with even a little experience can feel the difference among pianos.

So just spend a bit of time with some pianos and make comparisons. My take is that I really have to try before I buy.

If covid prevents you from trying pianos, then it's not time to buy.
If unavailability of pianos prevents you from trying pianos (the shortage is a common theme these days), then it's not time to buy.

Q
Q
I've had fun with my CVP over the last 15 years. Even if I've only used the accompaniment features maybe 5% of the time, it's been fun to have available to play around with.

Would I get a CVP for my next piano? Undecided, but probably not. Unlike 15 years ago, it isn't possible to get the 2nd-best CVP for $6500 anymore.

Whatever I upgrade to, I will be giving my CVP to nieces and nephews who get a kick out of the bells and whistles.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
OP - You would have to audition several pianos for a while in a piano store and you would quickly appreciate that there is a tactile difference between different key actions. But unless you are going to play some music I think it is a bit of an academic or 'static' kind of experiment. The key action deosn't exist in isolation.

I feel pretty confident saying this to you. The CLP745 is probably the sweet spot in the CLP range (price vs performance). Get that, or if money is not too much of an issue, get the CLP785. Don't get the CLP775.

Either the 745 or 785 I think would be satisfying long-term investments. Good luck.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks all for the support. We were able to go to a location and see all the range, and have a music teacher demo the piano's for us which was great. My son played around with each one as well. He's already started lessons on a baby-grand, so we could baseline off that.
Unfortunately, the CLP745 is nearly impossible to find. There's a shortage at the factory meaning we can't get one until end of year, so we've pulled the trigger on the CLP735. Was happy with the differences, doesn't really effect what he's going to use the instrument for, and he will get plenty of fun and learning until he's at a point that we'd look to upgrade sometime in the future.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission