2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (AprilE, anotherscott, 36251, Abdol, Baltguy, ambrozy, APianistHasNoName, 17 invisible), 680 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Hello everyone,
I just joined as a member on these forums, but I have read the forums as a guest for many years.

I recently sold my 2001 Steinway B that I've owned for 11 years, and I am now in the market for a new or newer Steinway Hamburg D. I live in Florida and am interested in seeing what's available in the US first before looking elsewhere. I've already searched the forums for information regarding Hamburg pianos and have located a couple instruments on the Pacific coast, but I thought I'd post a message here to see if anyone has any recommendations of where to look or may know of any available instruments.

Because I am a Steinway Artist, I am only in the market for this specific instrument at this time. I have considered going through a selection at the Hamburg factory, but the factory is closed to everyone outside of Germany indefinitely, so I thought I would see what other options I may have.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Andrew Lapp

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I assume that you have searched on klaviano.com? Seem to be a few Hamburg Ds there, albeit with varying original dates.

A
OP Offline
A
Yes I have looked there, but there is nothing in the states. It may come down to buying private party or importing unless a dealer gets one in on trade. It’s a scavenger hunt to say the least!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Cost of importing might end up as a rounding error given the cost of the piano. Not that travel to Europe is hassle free right now.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
I think calling well known rebuilders like Cunningham Piano or Piano Craft would be worthwhile. I spoke with Sally Phillips once about questions I had. I believe she has a Steinway showroom tht sells new pianos in Georgia. Her staff should be helpful. She seemed very knowledgeable as well. I would call Steinway Halls in large metro areas (the stores sell only Steinway and its brands).

Even if these folks can’t help directly, they probably have all the knowledge you need to source what you are after. I’m sure there are other equally helpful sources; these just spring to mind. Good luck!

Last edited by dhull100; 05/10/21 06:41 AM.
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dhull100
I think calling well known rebuilders like Cunningham Piano or Piano Craft would be worthwhile. I spoke with Sally Phillips once about questions I had. I believe she has a Steinway showroom tht sells new pianos in Georgia. Her staff should be helpful. She seemed very knowledgeable as well. I would call Steinway Halls in large metro areas (the stores sell only Steinway and its brands).

Even if these folks can’t help directly, they probably have all the knowledge you need to source what you are after. I’m sure there are other equally also helpful sources; these just spring to mind. Good luck!

Sally Phillips is also a rebuilder and restorer of Steinway

https://pianoperfectllc.com/

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
R
Online Content
R
Does Lindeblad ever have Hamburg Steinways available?
https://www.lindebladpiano.com/?rdn...tK2T-YDQCz8QOA1I6Ks9ed2FBlwaAgmTEALw_wcB

Yamaha S4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Just FYI, Shelly Berg, the dean of the Frost School of Music (University of Miami) plays a Hamburg B.

Dean Berg at UM

You might want to reach out to him. He may know some channels for acquiring one.

Online Content
I believe Klavierhaus in NYC specializes in rebuilt Hamburg Steinways. If you are only looking for recent models they may not have any, but you could inquire about that.

A
OP Offline
A
Wow thank you everyone for all your help. I will look into each of your suggestions.

K
K
ProPiano in NY, SF, and LA typically has a fleet of Hamburg Ds for sale.

Steinway of course has a fleet of C&A pianos that includes many Hamburgs that are sold after a certain number of years as well.

Shelly's B is quite nice.

D
D
Since you are a Steinway Artist, I assume you must have been in touch with Steinway dealer(s) in US. I think to get the newest (off the production line), you'd have to go through Steinway anyway. If you can wait till the Hamburg factory opens for selection again, this might still be the surest bet to get the widest selection of Hamburg D.

Otherwise as others have suggested, check with reputed rebuilders. I got mine (Hamburg B) from PianoCraft. Owners of PianoCraft (Keith Kerman), Cunningham (Rich Gallasini), PianoWorks (Sam Bennett) are frequent posters on this forum. And definitely check with Sally Phillips.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
A
OP Offline
A
I want to thank all of you for your help and your suggestions. Yesterday I was given the opportunity of a lifetime, and I took it in a heartbeat. I am getting a brand new Steinway D from the Hamburg factory. It has been a life-long dream to have a Steinway D, and this opportuntiy is a miracle to say the least. I have heard from multiple sources about the lack of availability of pianos from Hamburg in these interesting times, and this is one of their only D's ready to go.

Now I need to figure out how to survive without a piano until July!

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Wow! That’s all I can say.

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations on your new piano! London always has a broad selection of Model Ds at Steinway Hall, by the way, but it's not relevant that you know that now unless the deal falls through.

YAMAHA Artist
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Congratulations on your new piano! London always has a broad selection of Model Ds at Steinway Hall, by the way, but it's not relevant that you know that now unless the deal falls through.

Thank you! I actually thought about that as a possibility, but to be honest the deal most likely wouldn't have been as good after importing it, travel fees, etc. It's great to know for future reference though (if for some reason I will ever be in the market again for another one...)

Andrew

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Andrew,

Congratulations on the new piano.

I am curious because I don’t know the details. What does Steinway do for you as a recognized artist of their brand?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
E
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
E
Glad you found one.

Are you purchasing the piano from the Hamburg factory showroom or through a dealer?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Andrew,

Congratulations on the new piano.

I am curious because I don’t know the details. What does Steinway do for you as a recognized artist of their brand?

Thank you!

The primary benefit is having access to C&A Pianos for performances. I actually considered purchasing a ~2007 Hamburg D that was a C&A piano based out of NY that I performed on in 2019, but they sold it last fall.

For me, I began on Steinway's Young Artist Roster when it first launched in the US in 2010. They had 18 young artists in the program through Hamburg, and they just launched the program through NY when I joined it. I was actually the first young artist through the NY office. The Young Artist program has grown significantly since then.

In 2013, I was "upgraded" to the Steinway Artist Roster.

Steinway requires Young Artists to own a Steinway, Boston, or Essex piano. Steinway Artists must own a Steinway. And Steinway must be your piano of choice in concert whenever possible. Young Artists have a national presence as a pianist, and Artists have an international presence.

I performed in Muskoka, Canada in summer of 2019 at a retreat, and the closest Steinway Dealer was in Toronto about 2 hours away. The venue connected with the local dealer and provided a Steinway B for my concert. It was my first time performing a live concert outside the US, and it was a wonderful experience.

Generally the dealers don't charge the venue rental fees for Steinway Artists that request C&A pianos. The only expense in most cases is cartage, which is covered by the venue.

Last edited by andrewlapp; 05/15/21 06:09 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Glad you found one.

Are you purchasing the piano from the Hamburg factory showroom or through a dealer?

Me too. It was amazing how everything fell into place. I never thought I'd purchase a new instrument sight unseen...I have never done that with any other piano I've ever owned. I figured if I would do that with any piano, it might as well be a Hamburg D. COVID has really changed a LOT of things at both factories for piano selections, etc.

I purchased it through a local dealer. The piano will be shipped via air freight from Hamburg to JFK, then taken to Steinway in NY. It will go by truck to their distribution center in Kentucky, then transported on the next route to the dealer in FL. After being inspected, it will be delivered to my house. If all goes well, it should arrive in early-mid July.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Talking while playing
by wg73 - 12/01/21 03:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,340
Posts3,150,093
Members103,487
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission