2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 8 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Hello, David.

Are you still using the Korg nanokontrol? I suppose you could set one of the sliders to act on the condition parameter. In fact you could map the sliders to different controls. You would probably need someone else's help to setup it but once done, you could work on it by your own.

Of course, you seem to have found setups that work for you so Pteq must not be on top of your priorities right now, but just for the case you have the interest in experimenting with it some day...

Originally Posted by David Lai
I guess I'll still need to wait quite a few years when I can close my eyes and believe the instrument I'm hearing is just like an acoustic piano.

I take it you mean it in the figurative sense. smile On the other hand, I suppose your sight condition makes you more sensitive to VSTs imperfections, or too much perfection in Pteq's case.

Yes, in that case I will need sighted assistance in order to work with it.
Funny thing you mentioned me talking about closing my eyes, ETC. Yeah, it's figurative, as my eyes don't work, they are closed already. smile
But yeah, I guess I've heard a lot of VST's by now, and I keep comparing them to how a live acoustic instrument would sound, and so far PianoTeq is still not convincing me sound wise. But I want to be open about it, and not slam it all together, as I believe it has potential. It's just that its time is not yet arrived for me.
Until one day when I could say "it's a Steinway" or "Bosendorfer", or some other piano it was emulating, instead of "it sounds Pianoteq", then I will put it up on the table with other well-known sampled VST offerings. As of now, it's not happening yet. smile

J
J
I'm more impressed by the Modern U. They really have that dialed in to work extremely well with presently available technology and at a reasonable price.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Johnny English
I'm more impressed by the Modern U. They really have that dialed in to work extremely well with presently available technology and at a reasonable price.

I agree with you completely!!!

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I have an N3X and never use the built in sounds. Pianoteq with a great pair of headphones is magnitudes more enjoyable to play. I also have a Yamaha C6. Pianoteq is alive like the C6.

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You intrigued me with the Modern U, I’ve listened to David Lai’s demos, great playing! 👏🏻 Although I find the pedal noises in the Debussy demo extremely distracting. However I’m won by the sound and their pride in using only samples with no modeling.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
You intrigued me with the Modern U, I’ve listened to David Lai’s demos, great playing! 👏🏻 Although I find the pedal noises in the Debussy demo extremely distracting. However I’m won by the sound and their pride in using only samples with no modeling.

Glad you liked the demos! It was fun making them. You know, I didn't feel it when I played the Debussy, but when I listened to it back, really knew what you meant by the pedal noise!!! smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
20 years ago any of the DPs or related software we use today would have been considered a miracle.
It's all a question of perspective and timing.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
F
F
And 20 years from now our ears will have lost their capacity to even notice any difference.
CyberGene and MacMacMac will enjoy playing Pianoteq 15 but still prefer a sampled Yamaha.

Sampling: if it sounds like a piano it is a recorded piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The idea of sampling is flawed as soon a the Modellers get going on it, to hone it (so they think) to perfection. It becomes no better than refined white bread. Such gets stuck in the gullet and has trouble passing through one's system.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
Holy cow! So are you blind? Wow. You are worthy of admiration sir.

@trooplewis But considering the advancement in various paradigms of modeling - including audio engineering- since then and the big challenges that have been solved, software like Pianoteq is still a magnificent achievement because it was and still is a huge challenge to model a piano.

Last edited by meghdad; 05/10/21 02:36 AM.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by peterws
It becomes no better than refined white bread.

Swiftly back to organic whole-wheat bread, then!

😋

Cheers and happy breakfast,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Glad you liked the demos! It was fun making them.

@David Lai, Now I remember you. Before becoming a PW member myself, I remember closely following your thread on selecting a better keyboard action for yourself, and admiring the spirit that breathed through your posts.

As Modern U is my one and only virtual piano, I must have listened through the VI Labs demos before, but never consciously attributed two of those to you. How nicely done!

It is interesting how the Debussy recording sounds much less like the Modern U as I know and like it, undoubtedly a matter of mic selections and settings, and then how the Bach recording makes me feel right at home again with how clear and rich Modern U can be. Almost... a true piano.

Anyhow, I'll most likely never reach your level of playing (or so I think), a big applause for that.

Cheers and happy piano studies,

HZ

F
F
Got to get a closer look into that Modern U.

J
J
Originally Posted by Johnny English

I agree with you completely!!!

I was just reading an article about how good-looking, insanely talented people typically agree on matters of great importance. wink

C
C
I have a mason Hamlin bb and it sounds amazing but the control I get with ptq is on another level. The expressiveness is unmatched but it doesn’t sound as good as my acoustic though. If I had to pick I would pick Ptq and vpc. I have to get a brand new action and for regulation after that which is right now quoting me 10 K when ptq yes about perfect already and only cost me 2K. Best bang for the buck imaginable

Sanchez
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I think people bashing Pianoteq must have poor monitors or headphones. It’s been great since version 6. Version 7 is amazing and I prefer recording with it over 7 ft acoustic with good recording equipment.

I can’t tell if people are trolling or what. I’ve tried every high rated sample and it feels like swinging a dead carp where as ptq is like realing in a barracuda.

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
Online Content
I keep wanting to try pianoteq and perhaps will someday. I like that its PC light, but I'm technology challenged. :-)

F
F
Originally Posted by AlphaTerminus
I think people bashing Pianoteq must have poor monitors or headphones. It’s been great since version 6. Version 7 is amazing and I prefer recording with it over 7 ft acoustic with good recording equipment.

I can’t tell if people are trolling or what. I’ve tried every high rated sample and it feels like swinging a dead carp where as ptq is like realing in a barracuda.
They’re not trolling. It’s an aural thing. We should be comforting to them.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I use Apogee Groove with Sennheiser HD650. Is that poor because still sounds cr*p.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Originally Posted by 20/20 Vision
I keep wanting to try pianoteq and perhaps will someday. I like that its PC light, but I'm technology challenged. :-)

The piano/pc connection and the app installation should be easy enough.

However do note that Pianoteq itself is not exactly plug and play, you do need to calibrate the velocity curve to suit your DP's own touch curve and also own your playing. Without doing so there will be a mismatch in your key attack and the piano tone, producing a very flat and unrealistic sound. I suspect some of the bashing comes from people who just installed the app and expect a miracle from it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission