2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Recital #62 is now open for submissions!

Ready to submit your performance? Go here: recitals.pianoworld.com

Deadline: 6:00 am US EASTERN TIME on May 15th, 2021.

New to the recitals? Read on:
The recital will be posted sometime on the 15th of May, which means that submissions must be in by 6:00 am US Eastern Time, May 15th. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

Editing or digital alteration of your performance (other than minor edits such as trimming long silences at the end or beginning of the piece) is counter to the 'live recital' spirit of the AB Forum Recital and is thus strongly discouraged. In any event, any editing should be disclosed in the "additional information" section of the recital submission template.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you're on your first Alfred's method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you.

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. Videos are optional, and must be hosted elsewhere - you will supply the link.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

Submitting Your Recording:

You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:recitals.pianoworld.com

and follow the instructions there. Please note that the software does not cope well with international characters, so please convert any such characters to standard American characters. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me (Sam S). If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you'd like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 6:00 am US EASTERN TIME on May 15th, 2021.

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should you have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, do not hesitate to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other member's problems.

Looking forward to hearing the recital!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
We're off to a good start!

There are currently 11 submitted pieces.

1. KevinM - Moonlight Sonata, Quasi una Fantasia, Op. 27. No 2. 1st Movement (Beethoven)
2. MarieJ - Saman (Olafur Arnalds)
3. Peyton - When the First Bird Sings (Original composition)
4. Ido - Sonatina (Ido Moshe)
5. pianist685 (Constantin) - Arioso ex Harpsichord Concerto BWV 1056 (Bach, transcribed by Max Pirani)
6. Greta99 - Adagio, BWV 974 (Marcello/Bach)
7. JJHLH - Prelude Op. 11 - No. 21 in B flat major (Scriabin)
8. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc (James Welburn)
9. Brian Moore - Sarabande, French Suite #1 (Bach)
10. rwsavory - Sonata K391 (Scarlatti)
11. Jason Lenthe - Fantasia in C Major (HWV 490) (Handel)

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Ouch, I'm in the final stages of learning a beautiful little piece by Schumann - Erinnerung from Album for the Young - but recording is another matter entirely, as usual! I'll give it a try next week.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I might have to sit this one out ... we will see. Looking forward to listening either way.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I've got something easier already recorded but not submitted - one of the Greig Lyric Pieces. I've also been working on something much more difficult off and on for almost a year. You know - work on it for awhile, set it aside to rest, pick it up again, get sick of it and stop, start again with more energy. I've played it in 2 live recitals now recently, with increasing rates of success. I've had 2 zoom lessons with a teacher I really respect up in Maine (who I have known for about 10 years now), and I have another lesson with him this week. My goal has always been a live recital that is scheduled for May 22nd. I have to record it before then, because I know that, after the May 22nd recital, I will want to stop fooling with it and move on to something else!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Sam S
I've got something easier already recorded but not submitted - one of the Greig Lyric Pieces. I've also been working on something much more difficult off and on for almost a year. You know - work on it for awhile, set it aside to rest, pick it up again, get sick of it and stop, start again with more energy. I've played it in 2 live recitals now recently, with increasing rates of success. I've had 2 zoom lessons with a teacher I really respect up in Maine (who I have known for about 10 years now), and I have another lesson with him this week. My goal has always been a live recital that is scheduled for May 22nd. I have to record it before then, because I know that, after the May 22nd recital, I will want to stop fooling with it and move on to something else!
Now, that is what I call a tease. I hope you get that recording after that build up.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This time I haven't just got one piece that isn't quite ready; I've got three of them! And they're really not ready.

Also, I just bought a house, and I will be moving into it in two weeks. It's in another part of the country. In the mean time painters will work on it, and new floors will be installed.

Great timing! I clearly do know how to minimize my own stress levels. laugh

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I keep messsing up simple stuff now. Just great when you're coming up to submission time. Yeah, and it's one of my own. And so . . drum roll . "Ladeees and Gennlemen! Here we have . . .A Pianist who can't even play his own bl**dy songs . . !.!" Cymbal crash
I have seen better days on the piano, but at least I still get up the hills on me bike . . . heh heh

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I haven't participated in a long time (a few years) so I was a bit nervous recording for other people. I messed up one bar near the beginning but decided to go with it anyway as the rest of my playing was good.

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Doing good so far - keep 'em coming!

There are currently 25 submitted pieces.

1. KevinM - Moonlight Sonata, Quasi una Fantasia, Op. 27. No 2. 1st Movement (Beethoven)
5. pianist685 (Constantin) - Arioso ex Harpsichord Concerto BWV 1056 (Bach, transcribed by Max Pirani)
12. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Milonga del Angel (Piazzolla)
13. wouter79 - Sonata, K.119 (Scarlatti, Domenico)
14. vte - Prelude No 3 (Raphael Eligoulachvili)
15. AndresVel - Sonatina in G major, Anh. 5, No. 1 (Ludwig van Beethoven)
16. Flygbladet - Om kvallen (in the evening) (Elfrida Andree)
17. Ted Jones - "Late Night Long Time Agone" (Ted Jones)
18. Venu - Prelude in B Minor (Frederic Chopin)
19. Sriya - Waltz in A Minor (Frederic Chopin)
20. Mosotti - Fughetta in C minor, BWV 961 (J.S. Bach)
21. Qazsedcft - Invention no. 2 in C minor (Johann Sebastian Bach)
22. peterws - Contemplation (Yours truly)
23. Snejana - Whispers of Winds (Chrissy Ricker)
24. Lilypad - The Orchard (Pete Churchill)
25. Pathbreaker - Partita No. 1, Sarabande (Bach)

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am so early this time. Lots of baroque in there!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well "substitution" as defense mechanism is supposedly always "healthy". Whatever healthy means....Maybe not running down the street streaking. Huh?I just never wanted to do that? Gee wonder why? I ain't that bad....
Anyway, I can't make it this time. I had back surgery and am jusr reevaulating my priorities of what makes dough. So there goes that.
But as substitiute, my meaning in this next one , no matter what it owuld be....would be this

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
So I'm in with my usual favorite, Schumann. It's no use to obsess about imperfections.

M
M
Question for Sam. Is harpsichord allowed ? Or is it piano only ? I have a great harpsi sound on my DP and I'd like to contribute a piece from a French Suite based on that sound ? Can I do that ?

Thanks

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sam himself has done some wonderful harpsicord work in past recitals.

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Harpsichord is great! Any music made with a keyboard, so harpsichord, organ, clavichord, synthesizer sounds... I've recorded harpsichord in the past and will again if I can ever find the time. Also collaborative piano - I have done clarinet and piano, and recorder and piano. Even Monica did flute and piano with her daughter once. We've also had 4 hand duets in the past. The Quarterly recitals are open to anything. The only rule is one submission per performer. And don't be late - if you are late I can't help you.

And there are about 8 days left to get your performance in!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Gold Supporter until June  2023

Gold Supporter until June  2023
Just sent mine in: Satie's Gymnopédie No. 1. It's a redemption recording for me. I had practiced it to play at an in-person recital (my second one). Unlike my first recital, which went well (I wrote about it in the forum a while back), this one was a disaster and I embarrassed myself. I made a mistake right at the very beginning that, together with my already heightened nerves, sent my brain into panic mode and I couldn't recover. My leg started shaking and I couldn't pedal right either. All in all, a nightmare. I considered getting up and leaving, but decided to push through it and play until the end (with tons of mistakes). After getting home and calming down, I recorded the piece at my own piano, if only to show myself that I "knew" how to play it. Hope you guys enjoy it. :-)

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A week left! We will probably get some more this weekend, and then a flurry of activity from the procrastinators just before the deadline (including me!).

There are currently 32 submitted pieces.

12. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Milonga del Angel (Piazzolla)
13. wouter79 - Sonata, K.119 (Scarlatti, Domenico)
14. vte - Prelude No 3 (Raphael Eligoulachvili)
15. AndresVel - Sonatina in G major, Anh. 5, No. 1 (Ludwig van Beethoven)
16. Flygbladet - Om kvallen (in the evening) (Elfrida Andree)
17. Ted Jones - "Late Night Long Time Agone" (Ted Jones)
18. Venu - Prelude in B Minor (Frederic Chopin)
19. Sriya - Waltz in A Minor (Frederic Chopin)
20. Mosotti - Fughetta in C minor, BWV 961 (J.S. Bach)
21. Qazsedcft - Invention no. 2 in C minor (Johann Sebastian Bach)
22. peterws - Contemplation (Yours truly)
23. Snejana - Whispers of Winds (Chrissy Ricker)
24. Lilypad - The Orchard (Pete Churchill)
25. Pathbreaker - Partita No. 1, Sarabande (Bach)
26. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.11 No.23 (Skriabin)
27. Serge88 - What'd I say (Ray Charles)
28. mmathew - Prelude in E Minor (Chopin)
29. sinophilia - Erinnerung, Op. 68 no. 28 (Robert Schumann)
30. Marklings - Gigue from French Suite #3 in B minor (Bach)
31. Talao - Gymnopedie No. 1 (Erik Satie)
32. Qwerty53 - Little Prelude in C Major (BWV 924) (J.S. Bach)

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Take bets on the number of submissions! I reckon 57. A nice round number . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I managed to make a recording of my super-difficult piece, only to discover that I had the recording volume turned up too high, and it sounds awful - clipping and distorted. Argh!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission