2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sonepica
when I played the SX pianos in person I didn't really notice a vintage sound. Rather, I noticed how powerful and warm the bass was, and how the piano seemed to have some of the "harsher" frequencies of the CX pianos removed.

Even the CFX doesn't have the warmth in the bass that the SX series have.

Finally some affirmative statements about what spoke to you from the S7X. What other qualities did you appreciate/enjoy from the piano? Did you find these characteristics in the Hailun? It seems like a powerful, warm base is what you most seek from a piano. Do you feel that the S7X delivers this in a way that is not matched by other pianos you have played?

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I actually made a thread on my observations about the S7X which you may want to look at.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3107430/1.html

Yes, the Hailun 218 also has a powerful, growling bass. But the S7X has probably the best bass I've ever heard in it's size range (a steinway D might present a challenge). My suspicion is that the acoustic resonance enhancement has a lot to do with this. Of course, it's not quite a fair comparison as the S7X is 9cm longer than the Hailun 218.

Last edited by Sonepica; 04/28/21 10:29 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jethro
Originally Posted by adamp88
While you can gain some useful comparative information by looking at various online videos, I would urge caution in putting too much weight on various online video recordings of different pianos. Unless they are of pianos prepped and tuned by the same technician, in the same room with the same mics, mic placement and editing techniques, there are are too many variables in play to be able to do a fair comparison.
Yes this makes it very difficult. If I do rely on YouTube recordings it’s usually the recordings that aren’t of maybe the best quality and don’t appear to have too much post video processing done to it but sometimes that’s difficult to discern. This one for example doesn’t appear too cleaned as I can hear extraneous background noises. Sounds like it’s straight through a mic.

The piano in this video is a C7X, not S7X

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Just made the payment to the dealer for the S7X... so any further discussion is academic smile

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Just made the payment to the dealer for the S7X... so any further discussion is academic smile
Halleluja! Congratulations. I hope you'll be very happy with it. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sgisela
I can afford the S7X, so if it's even moderately better than the Hailun it's worth it for me. I'll be playing it for the next 30 years.

I think this is where your problem is. I think it’s the wrong question. The question should be whether you feel the S7X is the better piano FOR YOU. And none of us here can answer that question. If it were me and we were talking about the kind of money involved in the purchase of a new S7X, I would really want to be completely over the moon for the piano. If I wasn’t, then I’d keep looking. If the Hailun isn’t entirely your dream piano but is really satisfying to play and would give you much more joy than the upright you have now, then maybe it’s the piano to get. If you come across your dream piano later, you could make a swap. This purchase doesn’t have to lock you into a 30 year commitment.

I think the "monsieur" OP here just don't like the brand name Hailun on his new piano. For him, the letter YAMAHA is much more acceptable, but there, the problem is the price. Too difficult for him.

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I still have to go to Melbourne to choose between the two S7Xs that Yamaha currently has in Australia. Some videos of the piano to follow in a few weeks perhaps...

T
T
Congratulations Sonepica... enjoy the selection process!

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Well done, Sonepica. You will go far!

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Yamaha S7X!
You made the right decision.

Now, you need a concert technician to prepare your piano to its utmost potential and voice it according to your room.

You would also want to spend on some good recording gear.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I have a zoom H4 I bought many years ago. I found it had a problem capturing both soft and loud playing. If I set the recording volume very high, it captured all the subtlety and detail in soft playing. But, if I played loud there was terrible distortion. In order that the loud sections not create distortion, I had to set the recording volume low. But then the subtlety and detail in the recording was gone. Anyone else experience this?

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Portable devices like Zoom will not do justice to your high end piano.

You need high quality microphones and a good audio interface.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Hmmm. Well I'll consider buying some better equipment, but I don't want to go nuts because I only record myself so friends and family can see it.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
…I only record myself so friends and family can see it.

That’s too bad.
I was expecting to hear some good recordings of your new piano and your playing as well.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I have a zoom H4 I bought many years ago. I found it had a problem capturing both soft and loud playing. If I set the recording volume very high, it captured all the subtlety and detail in soft playing. But, if I played loud there was terrible distortion. In order that the loud sections not create distortion, I had to set the recording volume low. But then the subtlety and detail in the recording was gone. Anyone else experience this?

My experience with always fairly low budget equipment is that setting correct recording level is critical for good results and for wide dynamic range material you have to pick exactly that right compromise so that high volumes are slightly but acceptably distorted so that sufficient low level detail can be preserved.

Presumably if you spend orders of magnitudes more on mics than I did you can get equipment with an inherently higher dynamic range and reduce the difficulties. If you are a fan of binaural recording rather than closely positioned mics you have less sound pressure to deal with as well I think.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations on the purchase, and enjoy the selection process!

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Well done, then!

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by gwing

My experience with always fairly low budget equipment is that setting correct recording level is critical for good results and for wide dynamic range material you have to pick exactly that right compromise so that high volumes are slightly but acceptably distorted so that sufficient low level detail can be preserved.

Presumably if you spend orders of magnitudes more on mics than I did you can get equipment with an inherently higher dynamic range and reduce the difficulties. If you are a fan of binaural recording rather than closely positioned mics you have less sound pressure to deal with as well I think.

What about microphone placement and isolation? I gave up on recording after a bad experience in a pub years ago trying to record conversations with the barman. The recording only picked up the sound of beer glasses being plonked down on the bar.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
D
D

Congratulations!

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congratulations. Please post pictures when it’s delivered. Best Wishes. I think you’ll have a fine piano to play.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission