2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (almo82, Calavera, cygnusdei, Anglagard44, Charles Cohen, dima5222, David B, 14 invisible), 1,039 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
Originally Posted by Klavierman
Originally Posted by loydb
I'm a fingerstyle guitarist who has moved mostly to piano because of arthritis. One of the big differences for me is that on a piano, there is only 1 place for each note, so it's *way* easier to read IMO.
That's one reason why I'm giving up guitar--arthritis in my left thumb joint. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt when I play the piano.

Mine is thumb and index finger on fretting hand, I feel your pain. I can still press hard enough to play my Strat for awhile, but my steel string and my resonator are 10 minutes max.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by keystring
He keeps showing someone struggling with classical piano pieces, and then non-classical guitar. He should be comparing non-classical piano and guitar, or classical piano and non-classical piano, or classical piano and classical guitar.

I thought of that too, and I think that's a valid observation. At the same time, I think a good part of his point still stands. When adults decide to take up guitar, they often do take that simple rock chord strumming while singing approach, and have a lot of fun with it. When adults take up piano, so many of us decide we have to do it "right" and start with the classical approach, and berate ourselves for how long it's taking to get to RCM level 10, and how we're incapable of playing absolutely perfectly. So I think part of his point is that adult pianists should take something more like the approach of our guitarist pals: perhaps just playing simple bass lines in the left hand, simple block chords in the right, and singing along with some rock / pop / folk tunes. Then we'd have a lot more fun!

Don't be fooled about the blues / boogie stuff, though: that can be really hard too!!!

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I think it's easier to get from 0-60 on the guitar. In terms of being musical and useful to listeners. Also, improvisation is easier on a guitar.

After all, you only have to think about one hand once the fingerstyle patterns are 2d nature. Then you can just hop among some chords that express your mood--it's all in the LH.

Piano you have to think about both hands.

I love both.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Coming from a non-musical family, mom is very practical. Me & my siblings were not allowed to take guitar lessons because it's a heavy instrument to carry around. We were allowed to play flute or violin. Piano is the exception since it is fixed to a room.

In my school days I played violin. The things I knew about a guitar were from lunch discussions of several students who took lessons. The violin is mostly a single note instrument at the lower levels before getting into playing double notes. I had 0 concept of chords except learning music theory from a teacher.

In my younger days I got into Classical music and assumed playing any instrument (including guitar & piano) starts with learning Classical pieces. In the course of learning piano, I learned a few Pop tunes like Abba "Mama Mia!", "Dancing Queen" & John Lennon "Imagine". I can play the RH melody (no singing) with the LH accompaniment. Guitar playing I'd have to learn to sing the melody.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I recently discovered Paul Galbraith and the Brahms guitar while researching this piano piece:

Guitar - Recuerdos - I watched a series of lessons on tremolo, to be developed in stages - it looked wickedly hard.

Last edited by keystring; 04/27/21 01:24 AM.
Meghdad - Whoopsie. Sorry I posted the 3 videos of Tina S on guitar. She is technically advanced and has a nice touch. But she can't stay in time to save her life. I'm embarrassed that I didn't check that closer before I posted. Let me see if I can do a bit better below:

Dr. Viossy - Bach Toccata And Fugue In D Minor For Electric Guitars (Listen all the way through please)

Dr.Viossy - Paganini Caprice 24

Dr.Viossy - Beethoven Moonlight 3

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
T
T
Oh my! Dr. Viossy is AMAZING! I subscribed to him on YouTube and sent the links to my friends who love electric guitars. Thanks for posting these!

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P-125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
Originally Posted by Talão
Oh my! Dr. Viossy is AMAZING! I subscribed to him on YouTube and sent the links to my friends who love electric guitars. Thanks for posting these!

Talao - He rules. You're welcome.

Stormbringer

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This Polish guy played a guitar with a drum beat in a talent show... something that few piano players would do. Piano players can play very low notes in quick succession to get a percussion effect. Haven't seen anybody tap anywhere on the surface of a piano to do a drum beat.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
Originally Posted by keystring
He keeps showing someone struggling with classical piano pieces, and then non-classical guitar. He should be comparing non-classical piano and guitar, or classical piano and non-classical piano, or classical piano and classical guitar.

I thought of that too, and I think that's a valid observation. At the same time, I think a good part of his point still stands. When adults decide to take up guitar, they often do take that simple rock chord strumming while singing approach, and have a lot of fun with it. When adults take up piano, so many of us decide we have to do it "right" and start with the classical approach, and berate ourselves for how long it's taking to get to RCM level 10, and how we're incapable of playing absolutely perfectly. So I think part of his point is that adult pianists should take something more like the approach of our guitarist pals: perhaps just playing simple bass lines in the left hand, simple block chords in the right, and singing along with some rock / pop / folk tunes. Then we'd have a lot more fun!

Don't be fooled about the blues / boogie stuff, though: that can be really hard too!!!

There is a lot of truth to this. There is a price to pay though for real guitarists. When you show up with an acoustic guitar, the expectation is that you sing and if not, why not? Conversely, on the piano, people expect to hear you play something instrumentally despite the fact that there are many pop musicians who do sing and play piano.

I have reconciled myself to the fact that achieving proficiency at arranging and playing instrumentally on the acoustic guitar is a personal journey and any expectations that anyone else might be interested in what I play are doomed to disappointment.

The guitar does have its advantages. I can play bass, harmony, and melody, all on one instrument that is easy to tune by ear, is easily portable, and is very satisfying to play and (for me) to listen to. Also, living in a condo, I can have a "real" high end wood guitar because I MUCH prefer the sound of an unamplified acoustic steel string or classical guitar to ANY amplification. I have a digital piano, but that is a concession to my living situation where a "real" acoustic piano is just not feasible, and if I did have one, I would have to rely on a professional person to come and tune it at my expense. Another advantage is that I can buy the equivalent of a high end Yamaha or Steinway quality guitar for FAR less money. I believe (and could be wrong) that this is a hold over from so many generations of people that revered orchestra instruments, while the guitar was just something for the servants to amuse themselves with.

Another issue is that it is amazing how many guitar players can't read music. All the normal musical training that people get with most instruments, seems to go out the window for those many folks who want to strum and bellow along. When I have been in ensemble situations as the only guitarist, the other musicians often express initial surprise to find a guitar player who can read or knows much of anything about music theory and can converse with musicians of other instruments intelligently.

Being able to both read music and figure out music by ear off recordings allows me to explore quite a wide range of music that would otherwise be largely unavailable to me. These days, I encounter all too many guitar players who can only work from tablature. Those who learned before all that tablature was available, largely did so by ear off recordings which developed a solid relative pitch sense.

Though I realize that tablature has been around for a very log time, primarily for lute players, its wide usage for popular guitar is a relatively recent development.

In my personal opinion and observation, if one is to get serious about achieving any level of proficiency on a given instrument, the idea that one is more difficult than another disappears rather quickly. They ALL have their challenges to overcome.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 04/28/21 08:47 AM.

Roland V-Grand
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In my younger days, nobody in the family sang in a church choir. Everybody had limited exposure to music & instruments. Then someone at home started Classical guitar lessons. We got used to hearing the tune with a French sounding name "Les Jeux Interdits" or "Spanish Romance" in English when there is guitar practice at home. It's a standard piece for guitar like the ones every beginner Classical piano student have to play: Minuet in G & Gm from the "Anna M Notebook", the Bach WTC Prelude in C.

Besides listening to recordings, the only thing I knew about instruments came from music teachers. The concept of chords took ages to learn. Seeing somebody play guitar and sing church hymns was interesting. I got used to hearing Classical guitar playing at home and thought that playing any instrument needs to produce the melody line (the same notes you'd sing). I could never figure out why people play different notes (chords) on a guitar other than the line they're singing. The idea of melody & accompaniment didn't click until I started piano as an adult.

thepianoplayer416 - Cool percussive sounds from that electric-acoustic guitar vid. He has a good level of mastery in that regard. I like slap bass that a lot of Funk bass players use too. Here's a vid of some classic electric bass slap bass moves:

Hey, I love Jeux Interdits. Here it is on acoustic guitar:

Here is Jeux Interdits on acoustic piano. Love that too:

And for the heck of it, a little Purdie Shuffle thrown in for your own personal amusement:

Stormbringer

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Really love the Brian May “Queen” guitar solo at QE-II’s Jubilee celebration from the roof of Buckingham Palace a few decades ago:

thepianoplayer416 - Nice vid. I'm a big Queen and Brian May fan. As you may know, Brian and his father designed and built that sweet sounding guitar. And Brian sure knows how to make that thing sing. Thanx for that.

Stormbringer

Originally Posted by EinLudov
I hate the guitar. Its only true claim to fame is that it's the fastest way to carpel tunnel. grin

EinLudov - Lol, you always make me laugh. I used to get a kick out of class clowns back in my school days. They'd always blurt out things that would have me laughing so hard, I could hardly breath. Even the teachers would laugh at their comments. I picture you as one of those guys. Did you do that back in your schooldays?

Stormbringer

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Guitars tend to be smaller, which could be an advantage.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
Stormbringer - Oh man, you're certainly quite a metal-head aren't you? :-p I did watch those Dr. Viossy covers ( or interpretations) and I was like WOW and yikes at the same time haha. Don't get me wrong, I do listen to Rock and hard Rock etc songs however ... I mean that wasn't really like Moonlight Sonata, more like heck Sunlight Sonata.

Originally Posted by meghdad
Stormbringer - Oh man, you're certainly quite a metal-head aren't you? :-p I did watch those Dr. Viossy covers ( or interpretations) and I was like WOW and yikes at the same time haha. Don't get me wrong, I do listen to Rock and hard Rock etc songs however ... I mean that wasn't really like Moonlight Sonata, more like heck Sunlight Sonata.

Meghdad - Lol, fair enough. You're right, of course. It was a very metal version. Yep, I'm into a lot of music genres, but I have the most fun and experience with playing metal when it comes to playing stuff on electric guitar. I majored in guitar at a music school for a couple years. We had to play on stage in front of the entire school each week. Every song we played was metal. I played in a few bands on both drums and electric guitar before I went to that school. That was all hard rock and metal. But I am also formally trained on French Horn, Trumpet, and of course, piano. I played a lot of different genres on those instruments.

I like the fury, intensity, and adrenaline rush I get from playing metal on the electric guitar : )

I am Stormbringer. Hear me roar!

<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>

Stormbringer

Last edited by Stormbringer; 04/30/21 11:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Thin\hollow sound - improvement possible?
by TBell - 11/28/21 01:26 AM
Es920
by Jitin - 11/27/21 10:11 PM
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Fishy scientific experiment - needs candidates.
by ZeroZero - 11/27/21 04:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,282
Posts3,149,257
Members103,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission