2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, anotherscott, antune, A. Lucato, adamcz, c++, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 1,008 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Some things are like that: The best way to capture a thing with a single word sometimes is with a word that isn't exactly exactly right in a hyperspecific sense.

laugh

Hey.. I'm not trying to start a trend or anything; people have been saying "underrated" this way my whole life, both locally and online.

I've always found the overanalyzing of language evolution to be somewhat annoying. Imagine someone criticizing the use of "fantastic" to describe a good steak. I wouldn't want to live in that world.

F
F
I got a whole list of pieces that are by my (very unimportant definition) underrated.

But I'll just give three examples:

Liszt wrote a chamber sonata "Duo Sonata" for violin and piano (I believe the S. number is 127), based on themes from Chopin's Mazurka Op. 6 No. 2.

Saint-Saëns's Piano Concerto No. 1 in D major is as fantastic as its successor.

And of course, who could forget? Liszt's transcription of Beethoven's Fourth Symphony. Liszt really makes those fingers work out from this lovely symphony.

I would mention MacDowell, but some people are probably getting tired of me bringing him up, so I'll let it rest for now. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop playing his music!

Pianist-in-training who changes his signature...alot.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApZEtefyPogkULpO9BSMmw

I believe certain composers and their pieces in the less-played repertoire ought to be re-examined.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree that the title doesn't exactly exactly indicate what it's about, if we want to be real specific about the exact meaning of words.
Correct.

But I don't agree that there was anything unclear about what was intended, I consider it broadly within the meaning of the word, and it looks like the replies 'got it.'
I don't think anyone said what was intended was unclear.

And in fact, I can't think of a better single word to capture what was intended.
I think under performed is better. OTOH there's no need to use a single word. "Wonderful under performed works" is what this thread is about if one wants to be precise.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/13/21 05:48 PM.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think under performed is better. OTOH there's no need to use a single word. "Wonderful under performed works" is what this thread is about if one wants to be precise.

I don't think so. I don't think that would capture it.

As I saw it, and as I think the replies seem generally to have taken it, it's not just "under-performed" but also (something like) "not recognized by that many people as being so great, and also not even known of to the extent that I think it deserves to be."

And, really, I can't think of a better one-word capture of it than how it was expressed here.

As I saw it, and as I think the replies seem generally to have taken it, it's not just "under-performed" but also (something like) "not recognized by that many people as being so great, and also not even known of to the extent that I think it deserves to be."

And, really, I can't think of a better one-word capture of it than how it was expressed here.
The OP didn't use one word so that's not an issue. The title of the thread used two adjective, wonderful and underrated. So the most precise title is wonderful underperformed works which is what most people thought of when they read the name of the post.

It would be interesting to have a thread about wonderful underrated works(in the sense of most people not rating them high enough). It might attract some of the Liszt or Macdowell super fans.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/13/21 06:08 PM.
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member

The OP didn't use one word so that's not an issue. The title of the thread used two adjective, wonderful and underrated. So the most precise title is wonderful underperformed works which is what most people thought of when they read the name of the post.

It would be interesting to have a thread about wonderful underrated works(in the sense of most people not rating them high enough). It might attract some of the Liszt or Macdowell super fans.

If you don’t think this thread elicited great choices, why don’t you start your own thread....but be careful to label it to only elicit the answers you want to see. 🙄

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
OP Offline

I do think this is what this thread is about though.

Specifically in the case of classical music, when a piece of music is largely underplayed for decades or centuries, it is IMO because history has organically deemed it to be unworthy of serious recognition within the classical music subculture. History itself is the judge, with which one is free to disagree. This is why I think these words are so interchangeable in this kind of context.

Originally Posted by dogperson
If you don’t think this thread elicited great choices, why don’t you start your own thread....but be careful to label it to only elicit the answers you want to see. 🙄
I never said the choice weren't great(including the ones I made).

F
F

MacDowell superfans? Hah, I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only ones active who still can consider themselves a superfan of Edward MacDowell's music.

Liszt superfans are not a rarity, but MacDowell superfans are a rarity, because as chopinetto said, history has decided that MacDowell is no longer "good enough".

Even as I try to challenge that narrative, if Andrè Watts couldn't revive his music... who should I be to try to make the case myself?

Pianist-in-training who changes his signature...alot.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApZEtefyPogkULpO9BSMmw

I believe certain composers and their pieces in the less-played repertoire ought to be re-examined.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by dogperson

I don't think Pianoloverus meant any harm. His idea for another thread is distinctly different from this thread.

B
B
I pride myself on being the world's most pedantic pedant (- I don't put up with any panda that walks into a bar and eats shoots and leaves, when it only eats, shoots, and leaves like any panda would), but my sole (not soul) contribution to this thread (apart from this one, of course) is to introduce everyone to a wonderful underrated piece.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/f5/f7/bcf5f7088e111391f0e7ae8273b0c437.jpg

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bennevis
I pride myself on being the world's most pedantic pedant (- I don't put up with any panda that walks into a bar and eats shoots and leaves, when it only eats, shoots, and leaves like any panda would), but my sole (not soul) contribution to this thread (apart from this one, of course) is to introduce everyone to a wonderful underrated piece.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/f5/f7/bcf5f7088e111391f0e7ae8273b0c437.jpg
I'm not quite sure what to make of this poast.

Originally Posted by Farazissimo
Liszt superfans are not a rarity...
I didn't make myself that clear. I was talking about those who think virtually every piece Liszt wrote is great although the majority of his pieces are almost never played IMO because they are not as good as the popular ones.

The OP didn't use one word so that's not an issue. The title of the thread used two adjectives, wonderful and underrated....

At risk of taking this further down a path of pedantry (if you pardon the alliteration) grin .....he used a single word for that particular thing. "Wonderful" is separate. The kind of refinement or greater 'accuracy' that we might be looking for would only be in place of "underrated." What I meant was a different single-word substitute for underrated -- and I'm suggesting there isn't any better one, just worse ones.

Thank you very much. grin

A
A
Bunte Blatter Op.99

Not necessarily among Schumann's least recorded works...but deserves to be at least Waldszenen level of popularity, surely.

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by chopinetto
Poulenc Novelette... So beautiful.

Novelette #3 is also beautiful

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
PianogrNW
Thanks so much for posting novelette #3– it’s going on my ‘must play list’

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't know why this isn't played more often. Perhaps it is, but I hadn't heard of it until a couple of years ago. I find it hard to believe that this was composed in 1897.

Originally Posted by johnstaf
I don't know why this isn't played more often. Perhaps it is, but I hadn't heard of it until a couple of years ago. I find it hard to believe that this was
Thanks for posting this piece which I had never heard. Dubal call this work "virtually unknown" in his book The Art of the Piano. For whatever reason, many or even most great pianists play little or no Spanish music. I never realized how great Albeniz is until I heard several separate live performances by Jose Ramos Santana of selections from Iberia in a 300 seat hall at the IKIF in NYC. I think there is something about Albeniz's exotic harmonies that are particularly enhanced in a live performance.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
^^ John, thanks for that. Indeed a lovely work that I haven’t heard before.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/14/21 11:11 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,587
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission