2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
At least for me, the most important thing as an amateur was probably my ear. I really led with my ear when it came to the piano, and it allowed me to progress very fast on my own.

This answer will not be universal, and obviously there are a number of people who acquire really good technical facility, but who do not have a strong sense of musicality.

But I think that the fact that I could usually hear what I needed to improve somehow made it so that my brain somehow figured out how to produce that sound on the piano. For example, if I wanted to play an arpeggio, I would hear it in the context of a piece, imagine it in my head as vividly as I could, and then attempt to play it.

I don't think grade 8 is beyond most people. It will take time and effort though, a few thousand hours in total of deliberate practice.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Even if those movements are all Grade 8 or 7, there's still a vast expanse between the movements listed and Gaspard.
Of course there is, as I've already said.

We aren't talking concert pianist material here.

At least, I'm not, but maybe you are........
My point was that a piece like
Gaspard is in the super super advanced category and there are many levels between Grade 8 and that level that may not be reachable unless one has musical talent. I think that those who sit for Grade 8 have already self selected for talent compared to those who drop out and that some students spend the entire year learning the three pieces.

B
B
I made several other points my last post including that I think the further one goes with the exams, the more the process self selects those with greater natural ability. Surely some that didn't take exams throughout high school, chose to do so because they didn't do well on earlier exams or felt they couldn't pass higher grades.
That's exactly what I addressed earlier - that all the students who practiced (and of course, were taught) properly got to Grade 8 ABRSM. It took between five to ten years of lessons. (It took me eight years.)

By then they could play most of the classical piano music that's ever been composed. Only a small percentage go further to do diplomas, like me.

BTW, every child piano student in my home country and in the UK do piano exams - it's ubiquitous here. Even non-musicians and those who've never had a music lesson in their lives know about grade exams for pianists and other classical instrumentalists. For instance, when a prominent politician passed his Grade 1 piano a few years ago, it was reported in the national news on TV, and the reporter informed us that Mr Balls had passed his "Grade 1 exam". He didn't need to explain what that is.

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
What qualities do you think are essential to be successful at the piano as an amateur? Personally, I think the most important ones are perseverence and patience, but also a kind of obsessive stubbornness. I think the qualities that most non-musical people think of like "talent" or "musicality" don't mean anything. Talent is only meaningful for the top 0.1% (but I'm asking specifically about amateurs) and musicality can be trained.

A piano
5 or more functional fingers

I think those are the basic requirements. Everything else is up to you.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by trooplewis
A piano
5 or more functional fingers
I'd say at least 10 is preferred wink

Online Content
I made several other points my last post including that I think the further one goes with the exams, the more the process self selects those with greater natural ability. Surely some that didn't take exams throughout high school, chose to do so because they didn't do well on earlier exams or felt they couldn't pass higher grades.
That's exactly what I addressed earlier - that all the students who practiced (and of course, were taught) properly got to Grade 8 ABRSM. It took between five to ten years of lessons. (It took me eight years.)

By then they could play most of the classical piano music that's ever been composed. Only a small percentage go further to do diplomas, like me.
There are countless pieces in the piano literature that are way beyond Grade 8 and beyond people who pass that grade. The average professional recital contains mostly pieces beyond Grade 8. And what I said in my second sentence is not at all what you say you addressed earlier and repeated in your first sentence.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
[quote=bennevis][quote=pianoloverus]My point was that a piece like Gaspard is in the super super advanced category and there are many levels between Grade 8 and that level that may not be reachable unless one has musical talent. I think that those who sit for Grade 8 have already self selected for talent compared to those who drop out and that some students spend the entire year learning the three pieces.
I think you're right. However, I think that most people would be at least capable of passing grade 8. I think what ends up happening in actuality is that only those people who are talented enough to do so comfortably in a reasonable timeframe are the ones who tend to do it. Given time and a great teacher, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for a vast majority of students. Most people do end up passing high school, after all.

B
B
There are countless pieces in the piano literature that are way beyond Grade 8 and beyond people who pass that grade.
Of course there are. But as I said, most of the world's piano music that's ever been composed are Grade 8 or below.

Including, for example, all of the WTC and almost all of Haydn's and Mozart's solo piano music.

The average professional recital contains mostly pieces beyond Grade 8. And what I said in my second sentence is not at all what you say you addressed earlier and repeated in your first sentence.
I kept saying that we aren't talking professionals here.

At least, I'm not - but I really don't know who you're talking about.

Online Content
There are countless pieces in the piano literature that are way beyond Grade 8 and beyond people who pass that grade.
Of course there are. But as I said, most of the world's piano music that's ever been composed are Grade 8 or below.

Including, for example, all of the WTC and almost all of Haydn's and Mozart's solo piano music.

The average professional recital contains mostly pieces beyond Grade 8. And what I said in my second sentence is not at all what you say you addressed earlier and repeated in your first sentence.

You don't understand what I said but I've explained it a few times and quite clearly, I think. My response you quoted was saying that your claim that Grade 8 passers could play most of the repertoire was false.

If you read ranjit's post in regard to another issue I raised he seems to understand what I said and agree with me.

I also have doubts that all of the WTC, all Mozart Sonatas, etc. are grade 8 or below. Even the Beethoven Sonata movements you mentioned are surely in the bottom quarter of all Beethoven Sonata movements. How about all of the composers you didn't name or pieces other than the WTC?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/11/21 07:46 PM.
Online Content

You don't understand what I said but I've explained it a few times and quite clearly, I think. My response you quoted was saying that your claim that Grade 8 passers could play most of the repertoire was false. So my bringing up the level of works on professional level recitals is completely relevant.

If you read ranjit's post in regard to another issue I raised he seems to understand what I said and agree with me.

I also have doubts that all of the WTC, all Mozart Sonatas, etc. are grade 8 or below. Even the Beethoven Sonata movements you mentioned are surely in the bottom quarter of all Beethoven Sonata movements. How about all of the composers you didn't name or pieces other than the WTC?

B
B
My response you quoted was saying that your claim that Grade 8 passers could play most of the repertoire was false.

That's exactly why I said what I said.

There is a whole lot of stuff that concert pianists never play, because it's 'beneath them' and mostly by unknown composers, which are all Grade 8 ABRSM or below. Some of them were beloved by amateur pianists of the Victorian era.

I have lots of sheet music of such "salon music" that I accumulated over the years (much of it from my student days, when I could only afford to buy sheet music from the sales box), which are all below Grade 8 in difficulty. Most of the composers are forgotten nowadays.

Online Content
My response you quoted was saying that your claim that Grade 8 passers could play most of the repertoire was false.

That's exactly why I said what I said.

There is a whole lot of stuff that concert pianists never play, because it's 'beneath them' and mostly by unknown composers, which are all Grade 8 ABRSM or below. Some of them were beloved by amateur pianists of the Victorian era.

I have lots of sheet music of such "salon music" that I accumulated over the years (much of it from my student days, when I could only afford to buy sheet music from the sales box), which are all below Grade 8 in difficulty. Most of the composers are forgotten nowadays.
Again, your reply has little or maybe nothing to do with what I said. I will let you have the last word.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E

I have to agree that there is a lot of music out in the wild that is fun to play. Almost all of us will never get to the elite level even with years of practice. Enjoy the ride and enjoy what you can play.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
S
S
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
I suspect there are different paths into becoming a good pianist, but the only path I can see goes via liking music, liking playing the piano, and having a fair bit of discipline. Also, not being tone-deaf. smile

Shocking, I know, but I know people who are amazing pianists but can't sing for crap. As in, they can't even sing in the right key as the song that is playing. It's always left me stunned!

Bart K Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I see lots of rambling about Gaspard and what not but when I started this thread I asked specifically about amateurs. I don't really care about the super virtuosic stuff.

Originally Posted by ranjit
I think that most people would be at least capable of passing grade 8. I think what ends up happening in actuality is that only those people who are talented enough to do so comfortably in a reasonable timeframe are the ones who tend to do it. Given time and a great teacher, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for a vast majority of students. Most people do end up passing high school, after all.
Exactly. To me ABRSM 8 or RCM 10 is like graduating from high school. There is still much to learn but you have acquired a certain basic profficiency and the skills to study any music you like. I think anyone, even without any natural talent, can achieve that basic profficiency through hard work (and the other qualities mentionned in this thread).

S
S
I see lots of rambling about Gaspard and what not but when I started this thread I asked specifically about amateurs. I don't really care about the super virtuosic stuff.

Originally Posted by ranjit
I think that most people would be at least capable of passing grade 8. I think what ends up happening in actuality is that only those people who are talented enough to do so comfortably in a reasonable timeframe are the ones who tend to do it. Given time and a great teacher, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for a vast majority of students. Most people do end up passing high school, after all.
Exactly. To me ABRSM 8 or RCM 10 is like graduating from high school. There is still much to learn but you have acquired a certain basic profficiency and the skills to study any music you like. I think anyone, even without any natural talent, can achieve that basic profficiency through hard work (and the other qualities mentionned in this thread).

I'm gonna say that the most important trait required is genuine interest, with that, determination, etc. usually follow. I think that the vast majority of people who learn to play the piano do not aspire to be virtuosos or to even make playing or teaching the piano their career. Like any hobby, most would be happy to be good enough to play music that they enjoy. Learning something new is always a plus, and I'm not sure how I'd feel if I couldn't play a single musical instrument. I'd probably feel like how I would if I were monolingual - thank god I'm not, there are so many words in other languages that don't exist in English, however would I be able to adequately express myself? grin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What qualities do you think are essential to be successful at the piano as an amateur?
Enjoying practicing (at least most of the time) and enjoying your growing ability to create music.

Edit: with creating music I do not mean composing, but just this: when you play your piano, you create music.

Last edited by Animisha; 04/12/21 10:13 AM.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
To be fair, there are amateurs interested in playing Gaspard, and I am one of them.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Strong desire to play the piano. I am no good as a pianist but cannot help not be playing it. Music is my friend and my life. I don’t think I could carry on life without it. I will continue to play as long as I live.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
#1 quality is Passion.

Passion for wanting to play music will carry you through the valleys of despair, and propel you to do whatever is necessary to improve. This includes willingness to seek instruction and help as necessary, sacrifice and self-control of time wasting things (gaming, TV, etc) that eat up your time, etc.

Having taught hundreds of people at a large music store for 2 decades, it was always passion that ultimately brought people to some kind of a decent level of playing. The lack of passion always seemed to be the major reason people fizzled out after a while.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission