2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
My piano is Yamaha C3 made in 1996. If I replace just one note which is G#3 to roslau string, will be the note's tone colour different from neighbouring notes?

The buzzing sound happen from all three strings. So in my thinking , tuner will change change two strings , one string for G#3, one string for G3, the one string on G3 will be coupled with existing Yamaha string. Will be there any problem?

Does anyone have the experience in replacing just one note?

I asked the dealer if there would be any problem but he said roslau string is standard string and there would be no problem except it takes long time to settle.

As I know Yamaha use their own string , also it's all different depending on model and even different depending on the period the piano made.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Strings age (they get more dull over time), so unfortunately you may notice a difference.

Here's more info:
https://livingpianos.com/can-you-replace-just-one-piano-string/

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You should ask that question on the Piano Technicians Forum.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
For me, I probably wouldn't notice that much, especially if after the string was replaced, there was a little voicing in the hammer to fully match the tone. However, I realise that you are a highly sensitive person with a very sharp ear, and it may actually matter to you. I would ask this on the tuner forum as J & J says, and I would also ask your own technician about the possible outcomes.

YAMAHA Artist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Alter your repertoire to avoic G#3.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
B
B
Roslau wire is metric so the string itself should match just fine. Treble wire really doesn't loose tone like bass strings do so that is not going to be an issue.

There are secondary elements that can affect a change in tone. If the spacing of the new wire is different than the old wire the tone can change because the hammer will strike on a different part of the crown. Other things like string level and contact with the bridge pin can come into play as well.

I have to say that I have never found a buzz coming from a string itself. Especially if it's all three strings. I don't think changing the strings is going to fix your problem.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Tony3304,

Can you provide a recording of this note also in comparison with other notes around it?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by twocats
Strings age (they get more dull over time), so unfortunately you may notice a difference.

Greetings,
I have replaced hundreds of string over the years at a University. I have never observed that the plain steel wire strings deteriorate with age since I have put new wire in unisons, either one or two of the tri-chord, and there is no discernible difference in tone. Bass strings are a whole different story. They rely on soft copper to remain firmly wound on a plain wire core, and any corrosion, loosening, or contamination will usually kill them. I have seen old bass strings that still had some brilliance, but usually the higher partials go on vacation as the string gets old.
Regards,

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
I see that a recording is on the other thread. See my suggestion there.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Ed Foote

Greetings,
I have replaced hundreds of string over the years at a University. I have never observed that the plain steel wire strings deteriorate with age since I have put new wire in unisons, either one or two of the tri-chord, and there is no discernible difference in tone. Bass strings are a whole different story. They rely on soft copper to remain firmly wound on a plain wire core, and any corrosion, loosening, or contamination will usually kill them. I have seen old bass strings that still had some brilliance, but usually the higher partials go on vacation as the string gets old.
Regards,

Interesting, on my openback banjo I definitely notice a difference in tone after putting on new steel strings. Maybe it's because a wool hammer has a less percussive impact on the string than a pick.

My tech had said at one point that he'd prefer to change strings across an entire section but sometimes you'd have to replace just one out of necessity. This was when he was trying to show me how to touch up unisons and said, well, if I mess up the worst case is that we replace a string. I ended up being too paranoid to attempt it on my own.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
I have replaced hundreds of string over the years at a University. I have never observed that the plain steel wire strings deteriorate with age since I have put new wire in unisons, ,

Interesting, on my openback banjo I definitely notice a difference in tone after putting on new steel strings. Maybe it's because a wool hammer has a less percussive impact on the string than a pick.

[/quote]

I notice that on guitar, examination of the strings shows fret wear, which is quite likely a factor in tonal loss. Metal picks can also leave their trail..... I can't imagine how it would help and I know it changes the spectra.
Regards, .

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
I notice that on guitar, examination of the strings shows fret wear, which is quite likely a factor in tonal loss. Metal picks can also leave their trail..... I can't imagine how it would help and I know it changes the spectra.

Ah that explanation makes sense!

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I hear differences in new and old plain strings, but only if the original strings are very old. However, replacing a string will go out of tune more for the first year or two, which is annoying.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission