2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, ChrisGoesPiano, bluebilly, Christopher90, Dariusz D, Deltajockey, 11 invisible), 531 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 118 of 166 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 165 166
I had found a few posts about VSTs in this thread and linked them in an other.
Here they are :

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...i-ca79-ca99-owners-club.html#Post3010333
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...i-ca79-ca99-owners-club.html#Post3035683
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...i-ca79-ca99-owners-club.html#Post3026564

I don't know how useful they'll be, but it's probably worth it to dig a bit around the posts.

Last edited by Meap6; 04/08/21 03:13 AM.

Kawai CA79 (Jan 2021), Casio Privia PX-870 (Jun 2017)
M
M
Hello !

I woluld like to share my experience how to increase natural sound quality of the grandpiano sound in CA 99. I have my my laptop connected to my Kawai via usb audio interface /I use focusrite scarlett solo 3rd gen / I use Pianoteq Stage /cheapest version / And I play through the internal soundbar/speakers of my piano. In my opinion the sound quality is much better and more natural then the internal grandpiano sound of CA 99

Last edited by Maciek1965; 04/08/21 04:28 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by RickM
Just now I searched for but failed to find a post from the last few months by a guy who bought a CA79 for the action. He had no intention of using the Kawai sounds. He bought it as a controller for Pianoteq.

If that post could be found he would likely have some tips for configuring Pianoteq. I suppose my memory could be wrong and it was some other VST. Just now I only searched for pianoteq.

Many thanks for looking Rick.
Dave

2021 Kawai CA99, 1896 Bechstein
D
D
Originally Posted by Meap6
I had found a few posts about VSTs in this thread and linked them in an other.
Here they are :

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...i-ca79-ca99-owners-club.html#Post3010333
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...i-ca79-ca99-owners-club.html#Post3035683
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...i-ca79-ca99-owners-club.html#Post3026564

I don't know how useful they'll be, but it's probably worth it to dig a bit around the posts.

That's kind of you, reading them now !
Many thanks,
Dave

2021 Kawai CA99, 1896 Bechstein
M
M
I have a picture of my CA 99 with all the connections on the Piano Picture Gallery !

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/3103625/kawai-ca-99.html

R
R
Originally Posted by Maciek1965
Hello !

I woluld like to share my experience how to increase natural sound quality of the grandpiano sound in CA 99. I have my my laptop connected to my Kawai via usb audio interface /I use focusrite scarlett solo 3rd gen / I use Pianoteq Stage /cheapest version / And I play through the internal soundbar/speakers of my piano. In my opinion the sound quality is much better and more natural then the internal grandpiano sound of CA 99

Do you have ASIO drivers on the laptop? If so, do you use ASIO4ALL or something else?

I bought Garritan CFX Lite (for half the price of Pianoteq Stage) to use with a 30-year-old Roland ep7-II. It certainly sounds better than the Roland's own piano sound but there is noticeable latency. I haven't tried ASIO4ALL yet. The delay is a bit worse using my Linux desktop and Wine to run Garritan's Aria for the VST. I haven't tried Jack for ASIO there yet either.

Kawai CA79 (Nov 2020), Kawai ES920 (Aug 2021), Roland ep7-ii (1993)
M
M
Yes of course I have ASIO drivers on the laptop but because I connect the sound via USB Interface from Focusrite /Scarlett Solo /I choose "Focusrite USB Asio " not ASIO4ALL ! No latency att all !

R
R
Thanks for confirming that. I think elsewhere I saw somebody claim no latency without ASIO but I found that hard to believe.

Kawai CA79 (Nov 2020), Kawai ES920 (Aug 2021), Roland ep7-ii (1993)
I've found another couple bugs pertaining to recording :

As always, on USB.

1st bug :
When the recording is done, and I get the popup menu with Save, Erase, Replay,...
Whatever my choice on this menu, I get a short "Song loading" window (it gets longer for longer recordings), and then I'm back on the menu and have to enter my choice again...
This is especially frustrating when you just want to delete the recording to do another take because you have to hit Erase > Song loading screen > hit Erase again > Confirm Erase > wait a bit > Record (twice because of a previous bug I mentioned)

2nd bug, and this one is reaaally bad.
It happens sometimes when I record pieces of at least 4mins (at least, I haven't seen it yet for shorter recordings), and leads to permanent loss of recording files .
I've been using the same USB since I got my CA79, which has been working fine up until a week or 2 ago when I started encountering the issue (granted I did not perform a lot of 4+min recordings up until recently).

So when you finish the recording and get the menu with Save, Erase... you hit Save, and then the 'Song loading', then 'Save' again... then enter the name, and then the screen takes longer than it should, and ends with an Error stating :
Player/Recorder Error
The Player/Recorder has stopped due to an error.
If this error message is shown repeatedly, please
restart the piano.
If this error occurs repeatedly when using USB
memory, please try formatting the USB memory or
use a different USB memory device.

When you get the error, you hit ok, and then you're back to the main SK-EX screen. Subsequent recordings do not work, nor do playing files from the USB through the 'player'.
When I look at the USB on my computer, I see a kawairectempfile.tmp file which is empty (0B) and sometimes write-protected. Of course, the recording leading to the error is not saved on the USB...
Deleting the temp file makes recording/playing files from the USB work again.

My USB works fine, as I stated previously, I was able to save multiple 4+min recordings before, and even now, though I'm wary of starting new ones...

While the tempfile is still there, I've also noticed that the piano believes you're still in recording (even though the record menu is inactive, no red dot/timer) and you can't access the player, as it tells you ' A recording is in progress, etc.' trying to start a new recording lasts a couple seconds before the error from above puts an end to it.

I believe there was another post on this thread at some point, when another user encountered a similar issue with an error popping up during recording and lost his file.

In any case, this is really not acceptable. As frustrating as it is to navigate the menus to do another take, it ultimately works, so fine.
But finally getting a good take of a piece, only to find out the file was not saved is a really poor surprise.
Please fix this.

I'll add these issues to the list/letter...
https://semestriel.framapad.org/p/kawai-ca79ca99-ui-amp-system-issues-9mga

By the way @Kawai James, do we still not have any information on a potential release date of the update ?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Meap6,

USB recording can be unreliable on some devices.

I use a Sandisk Cruiser Fit 32gb USB stick, and have never had any problems.
Which device are you using?

May I ask if you have tried the recommendation in the pop-up message:

please try formatting the USB memory or

Originally Posted by Meap6
By the way @Kawai James, do we still not have any information on a potential release date of the update ?

We are aware of some of the issues that you've highlighted, however I'm afraid I cannot provide any information regarding the future update schedule.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
K
I wonder if there are recordings made with CA79 and CA99 and microphone on real live playing. I mean no line in recording but actual acoustic performance recorded. It would be nice to compare...

Hi James,

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Which device are you using?
I've been using the same old USB key since my first DP, it's not a specific brand - it's one of those pens with a detachable 4Gb USB stick at the end that I got from a seminar.

May I ask if you have tried the recommendation in the pop-up message:

please try formatting the USB memory or
I supposed that if the USB already worked with the piano, there should be no need to reformat it. I never had issues with it (even on the CA79 up to a few weeks ago).

I'm reformatting another key atm, (I'm afraid it doesn't have a brand either, I've gotten a lot of USB sticks from events so I've never really bothered to buy specific brand ones).
I'll see how that one works (it's one of those flip-sticks, kind of like this
[Linked Image])

We are aware of some of the issues that you've highlighted, however I'm afraid I cannot provide any information regarding the future update schedule.

That's unfortunate...
In any case thank you for your help again !

Sometimes it helps to format the USB stick inside the piano itself.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Meap, some USB sticks are pure garbage, especially those not branded. Some inform a capacity higher than the real one (IOW, they lie). In such cases, I think the dishonesty is not limited to the size; media and firmware quality must also be subpar.

May I suggest you run h2testw (https://h2testw.net/) on this stick? It will help you to determine if the size informed is real and if the media is minimally OK.

I had a problem when I used a gift stick to update my ES8, update failed. I tested it with h2testw and voilà!!! It was one of those garbage ones. Luckily I was able to fix ES8 using a decent stick.

Another unlikely possibility but still worth bearing in mind, sometimes even authentic sticks may have some incompatibility with some products that might make them not work. I have a pair of Sandisk sticks that did not work righ with those cheap speakers I had. Tried different speakers on different shops, all failed (they must use the same circuitry). I tried another Sandisk model, USB3.0/32GB instead of USB2.1/8GB and it worked with the same speaker. I guess there was some timing related thing that made those sticks incompatible with such speakers. I am still using the sticks after several years, they still work perfectly.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maciek1965
And I play through the internal soundbar/speakers of my piano. In my opinion the sound quality is much better and more natural then the internal grandpiano sound of CA 99

Nice! You must post a mic recording, please :-) That soundboard and speakers construction is seriously sound (pun unintended) engineering by Kawai. I'd love to hear it in a home setting!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
V
V
Follow KJ advice: format the usb stick in the piano. Ignore messages in the computer to rescan or "fix" the stick.

It looks like a capacity error whenever a temp file reaches a certain size around the 4min mark. These are usually format dependent errors.

Last edited by vagfilm; 04/09/21 07:34 AM.
M
M
Nice! You must post a mic recording, please :-) That soundboard and speakers construction is seriously sound (pun unintended) engineering by Kawai. I'd love to hear it in a home setting!

Sure but I do not think that You can feel the difference listening to the a mic recording but playing with a headphones or standing beside thw piano in real makes a big difference !

E
E
Well... unless it's a 20-year-old USB 1.x stick, and/or has been through a lot of user mishandling, it simply should work. Yes, sometimes the specifications of the storage medium are important - you can only save so much burst photos into a given class of SD card - but here that doesn't apply.
It *can* happen that the connector on the piano isn't very forgiving. That would be a physical problem rather than a matter of specifications or quality per se. But other than that, seeing these discussions about how some special ubersticks are needed is a lot like reading the 'audiophile' praise of gold-plated USB cables.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Milne
Hi, I've downloaded the Pianoteq trial, and need a bit of advice on how to tweak the settings. By default, everything sounds to me to be rather "plinky", a cross between a harpsichord and a honky tonk piano on the attack of the note. I messed about with the curve to bring it lower, which got rid of that to a large extent, but at the expense of making the lower end notes sound rather dull. Is there anything else I should be trying ? I haven't been able to get anything to sound anywhere close to how good the native Kawai sounds are.

Did you figure this out? I would start really basic:

If you reset everything in Pianoteq to defaults, and you choose the very first preset (NY Steinway D Prelude), and you make sure the output volume on your computer or audio interface is adjusted reasonably high, *and* you make sure you turn off Local Control on your piano, how does it sound to you in this basic configuration?

M
M
Hello everyone!

Anyone found a solution to the random ”plasticky” clicking sound?

About 1/3 of the keys (CA99) makes discrete clicks after not being played for a while (eg overnight). When played for about a minute the clicks almost disappear.

The clicking sound comes when the key is released.

Roland FP-7
Kawai CA99
Page 118 of 166 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 165 166

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,118
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission