2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, CaseyVancouver, Beansparrow, BlakeOR, 10 invisible), 442 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Wait, I'm already old! Still wish I could play this well! smile

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Z
Z
thumb thumb
Hi Rick,
This is beautiful, thank you for sharing.
For me this is the right mindset, the right place, the right people around with the right weather for this music.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added: Beethoven woo80 var1-3 arpeggio test
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by zonzi
thumb thumb
Hi Rick,
This is beautiful, thank you for sharing.
For me this is the right mindset, the right place, the right people around with the right weather for this music.

Thanks, zonzi!

I saw this on Facebook this evening, and liked it so much I thought I'd post it here. I love her style and her smile! And, I like to see the reaction of the passers by. Looks like she was having fun, and getting a few tips too. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
Alas, she does not look that old to me! Not just because I am getting up in age, but because so many of the musicians I knew were undoubtedly older.

I have a friend who got a piano five years ago so she could improvise music as her eyesight fails. She will be 101 next month.

Semipro Tech
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by BDB
Alas, she does not look that old to me! Not just because I am getting up in age, but because so many of the musicians I knew were undoubtedly older.

I have a friend who got a piano five years ago so she could improvise music as her eyesight fails. She will be 101 next month.

Well, FWIW, she looks to be about the same age as me, or close, but I'm not good at judging one's age. And, some people age better than others.

All I know is I was very impressed with her performance, and her presentation. And, I hope to be able to play half as well as she does, at some point in time, before I'm actually over the hill. Or, am I already over the hill? smile

Rick

B
BDB Offline
B
The thought of old age and music brings a lot of things to mind. Most poignant is probably the blues pianist Charles Brown, brought back to the stage after years working as a janitor, and then in a nursing home. I had finished, and walked out of the stage door to get some air, when the limo with him in it drove up, and let him out in his wheelchair. I stayed with him as they went to open the loading dock door for him, and all the time he was telling me how thankful he was to be able perform once again. When he walked out on the stage, you never would have known that he was so feeble in the rest of his life, and his playing and singing was great. But he was only 76 when he died. Benny Carter I think was 94 when I met him, and still going strong. There are several musicians I knew into their 90s. You never can tell.

Semipro Tech
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Great video, Rick. Thanks for sharing.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila Area
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
The Science Channel on our piano restoration
Q
Q
I'm probably half her age, but I've already been thinking about buying one of those wrist braces. When the weather changes my 4/5 fingers on my RH ache all day.

Last edited by qpalzm; 04/08/21 09:16 AM.
E
E
She clearly eats all her vegetables.

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/08/21 09:53 AM.
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by BDB
The thought of old age and music brings a lot of things to mind. Most poignant is probably the blues pianist Charles Brown, brought back to the stage after years working as a janitor, and then in a nursing home. I had finished, and walked out of the stage door to get some air, when the limo with him in it drove up, and let him out in his wheelchair. I stayed with him as they went to open the loading dock door for him, and all the time he was telling me how thankful he was to be able perform once again. When he walked out on the stage, you never would have known that he was so feeble in the rest of his life, and his playing and singing was great. But he was only 76 when he died. Benny Carter I think was 94 when I met him, and still going strong. There are several musicians I knew into their 90s. You never can tell.

Interesting stories, BDB! And, it just goes to show that age may discourage us from doing many things we did in our youth, but music is not one of them. smile

All the best!

Rick

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nice! Thanks for posting, Rickster.

Gary
S
S
Do you follow Brendan Kavanaugh on YouTube? He's created this massive boogie woogie following and people who follow him are always commenting on all the piano videos on YT, asking "do you know boogie woogie?". It's hilarious.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by sharra
Do you follow Brendan Kavanaugh on YouTube? He's created this massive boogie woogie following and people who follow him are always commenting on all the piano videos on YT, asking "do you know boogie woogie?". It's hilarious.

Ah yes, "Dr. K". smile

I've seen many of his YT videos, and he's hugely popular and gets massive amounts of views. And, he can certainly play boogie-woogie very well! A good personality too. smile

On my YouTube channel I have 136 music videos uploaded, of which 85 are my own original songs and arraignments. I have 27,800 subscribers, but my most popular videos, by far, are my boogie-woogie videos, followed by my old saloon piano videos. Also, I've learned that many of my subscribers like my original songs and arraignments, some of which are better than others, but none of them all that good (but they are original:-).

When I record a new music video and post it on my YT channel, it is fun, entertaining, gives me an opportunity to practice/rehearse, and sometimes a lot, if I keep making mistakes on the recording. smile

Most of all, however, I like to think that sharing my music videos with others helps to put a smile on someone's face, like Caroline Dahl did mine. smile

Rick

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
She's got a wrist brace on each arm...I hope she's not overdoing it.

Anyway, I just hope to be able to play when I'm older, let alone as good as anyone else! whome ha

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
This reminds me of a story... (that I don't think I've told before) wink

As some of you know, the late Mrs. Retsacnal grew up in Jakarta. A few years ago we went to an Indonesian Festival in Silver Spring, MD (on the north side of the DC metro area). There was all sorts of food and groups performing (dance, music, etc). Well, there was one "rock" group playing that was all young men except for the guitarist who was an elderly lady, and also unusually tall (I'm 6'1" and she was easily my height). She was easily a full head taller than all the guys in the group.

It seemed a little unusual, but the really surprising thing was that she was totally shredding the guitar parts! And she played a gorgeous Fender Stratocaster.

I don't mean to sound sexist, or imply that women can't play. It's just really unusual to see a 6' tall grandma (they were calling her "Oma") wailing on the guitar.

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
This reminds me of a story... (that I don't think I've told before) wink

As some of you know, the late Mrs. Retsacnal grew up in Jakarta. A few years ago we went to an Indonesian Festival in Silver Spring, MD (on the north side of the DC metro area). There was all sorts of food and groups performing (dance, music, etc). Well, there was one "rock" group playing that was all young men except for the guitarist who was an elderly lady, and also unusually tall (I'm 6'1" and she was easily my height). She was easily a full head taller than all the guys in the group.

It seemed a little unusual, but the really surprising thing was that she was totally shredding the guitar parts! And she played a gorgeous Fender Stratocaster.

I don't mean to sound sexist, or imply that women can't play. It's just really unusual to see a 6' tall grandma (they were calling her "Oma") wailing on the guitar.

Interesting story, Ret! smile

I think of aged musicians as an example of "musical maturity"?

Oh, and I get a lot of comments and emails from my YT music videos. Got this one a day or so ago "How old are you? If it's not a secret :)" I haven't decided to reply back just yet. smile

Rick

S
S
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by sharra

Ah yes, "Dr. K". smile

I've seen many of his YT videos, and he's hugely popular and gets massive amounts of views. And, he can certainly play boogie-woogie very well! A good personality too. smile

On my YouTube channel I have 136 music videos uploaded, of which 85 are my own original songs and arraignments. I have 27,800 subscribers, but my most popular videos, by far, are my boogie-woogie videos, followed by my old saloon piano videos. Also, I've learned that many of my subscribers like my original songs and arraignments, some of which are better than others, but none of them all that good (but they are original:-).

When I record a new music video and post it on my YT channel, it is fun, entertaining, gives me an opportunity to practice/rehearse, and sometimes a lot, if I keep making mistakes on the recording. smile

Most of all, however, I like to think that sharing my music videos with others helps to put a smile on someone's face, like Caroline Dahl did mine. smile

Rick

I love the videos where Dr. K plays with the other very popular YouTubers, like Thomas Krueger on public pianos!

Checked out your account, love the Twilight boogie! Keep the videos coming! laugh

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

Aged 98 or 99.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a trouble-free Garritan CFX computer!
by Gombessa - 04/21/21 08:12 PM
Which one do you like - ABRSM vs RCM??
by Pikka - 04/21/21 06:35 PM
Sauter o Bechstein
by Luis Miguel - 04/21/21 05:57 PM
Pricing information for new Steinway/Yamaha?
by lct14558 - 04/21/21 04:10 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,455
Posts3,085,112
Members101,266
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission