2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by Jazzgeir
What features are lacking in Pianoteq to use it in a recording setting, IYO?
Sound realism.
Exactly. When you do a recording your want it to sound as close to the real thing as possible, even when you listen carefully with the best audio, e.g. high quality headphones.

On stage, amplification and PAs make for a very different environment, with very different requirements - e.g. clarity of your instrument in a mix, etc.

J
J
Originally Posted by CyberGene
What features are lacking in Pianoteq to use it in a recording setting, IYO?
Sound realism.

It sounds like you think only a sample based piano VST can be regarded as "realisticly sounding"... Realistic piano sound, in my opinion, is the sound you experience from the orchestra seats in the concert hall. Everything else is a product of a million factors, no matter if the sound is sample based or simulated, with ditto subjective aspects thrown in all over the place.

I don't recognize the claim "PianoTeq doesn't sound realistic" at all. I'd understand if it is ruled out by principle, but not by actual, perceived sound.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It sounds like you think only a sample based piano VST can be regarded as "realisticly sounding"...
It’s not about thinking. I just listen.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree. I usually don't comment on these topics, as I'm not interested in VSTs, but every time I hear a performance on Pianoteq, whether it's Phil Best, Wim Lassche or somebody else, I think somethink like "Wow, what an artificial piano sound". Especially the middle-upper register. Cold, metallic, empty, lifeless, synthetic.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 9190
somethink
* something

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Harpuia
A little OT but could you share your presets for Studio Grands? I'm not able to tweak that VST to my liking......

I managed to get screen shots of the three main settings views for my currently preferred Steinway B preset. Right now I don't have any Bösendorfer settings that I find good enough to share.

These settings make the Steinway B sound a little bit like an upright with overly hard hammers. Possibly not the most beautiful, but highly realistic.

Please note that the velocity curve is VERY important, and it is tuned to my Roland FP-30, so it may fit or not fit other digital pianos, all depending on their touch.

The settings can be seen here:

Settings for Steinway B

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Thanks!

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
T
T
OP, have you decided yet? (I briefly browsed through and didn't see, so I apologize if I missed it). Lately, I have fallen in love with the Synchron Bosendorfer Imperial. I like their new Bosendorfer too, but the room sound is just so wonderful on the Imperial. I think it sounds the most realistic of all the virtual pianos I've heard.

Incidentally, I had to make a recording for a lesson today, so here is what it sounds like. This is using the full version with condenser, tube, and room decca tree mono (center). It sounds way better with additional mics, but this is all I can get away with for doing a live stream on YouTube. Forgive my poor playing... I'm only about a year in.

Last edited by Tozen; 03/30/21 11:21 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Things are going very well with the VSL D-274 piano.

In case anybody was wondering what it sounds like, here's a pre-edit sample track of a very slow "ballet adagio" selection.

The use will be in a ballet classroom for the beginning of technical training, so it needs not to sound like a concert stage, resonant without reverb, and give the listener a clear rhythm and consistent tempo (otherwise, I'd play this piece rather differently.)

In settings, I started with the "Intimate" setting, pulled down the room mix, and turned up the condenser very slightly. I softened the velocity curve so the keys don't play quite so jumpy (normally you would not find a concert grand in a ballet classroom).

Still futzing around with it, but I think I'm happy! We did start recording last Monday and have almost 22 tracks recorded of 30.

https://soundcloud.com/opusinprogressu/nocturne-in-e-flat-major-center-adagio-1-44-64cts

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tozen
OP, have you decided yet? (I briefly browsed through and didn't see, so I apologize if I missed it). Lately, I have fallen in love with the Synchron Bosendorfer Imperial. I like their new Bosendorfer too, but the room sound is just so wonderful on the Imperial. I think it sounds the most realistic of all the virtual pianos I've heard.

Incidentally, I had to make a recording for a lesson today, so here is what it sounds like. This is using the full version with condenser, tube, and room decca tree mono (center). It sounds way better with additional mics, but this is all I can get away with for doing a live stream on YouTube. Forgive my poor playing... I'm only about a year in.

I did make a decision! I went with the D-274.

I loved the Bosendorfer Imperial sound, too! It was a hard choice.

Very authentic sounding in your setup!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Still futzing around with it, but I think I'm happy! We did start recording last Monday and have almost 22 tracks recorded of 30.

https://soundcloud.com/opusinprogressu/nocturne-in-e-flat-major-center-adagio-1-44-64cts
Congrats, sounds wonderful!

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
D
Originally Posted by 9190
I agree. I usually don't comment on these topics, as I'm not interested in VSTs, but every time I hear a performance on Pianoteq, whether it's Phil Best, Wim Lassche or somebody else, I think somethink like "Wow, what an artificial piano sound". Especially the middle-upper register. Cold, metallic, empty, lifeless, synthetic.

Like I when I hear a Yamaha upright ?
It really depends on what you like, we all know that. Your cold metallic is another persons clarity of tone, a singing bell, their wet mush is your warm mellow vibrancy etc. We should celebrate the differences in music.

2021 Kawai CA99, 1896 Bechstein
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Good choice on the d-274, it has became my favorite (vsl) vst. I don't think there's anything out there that sounds more authentic.

Did you try a "hard" type of velocity curve? For me this is necessary with the d-274 to get access to the lower velocities and the full dynamic range.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by U3piano
Good choice on the d-274, it has became my favorite (vsl) vst. I don't think there's anything out there that sounds more authentic.

Did you try a "hard" type of velocity curve? For me this is necessary with the d-274 to get access to the lower velocities and the full dynamic range.

I suspect that the choice of velocity curve, in the VST, depends on what physical keyboard you're playing.

The physical keyboard has its own "physical key velocity to MIDI velocity" map -- and they're not standardized across brands, or actions.

The VST velocity curve, _and_ that built-in physical keyboard curve, determine how the VST sounds, as you change playing dynamics.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, that sounds great! I think you made the right choice.

Things are going very well with the VSL D-274 piano.

In case anybody was wondering what it sounds like, here's a pre-edit sample track of a very slow "ballet adagio" selection.

The use will be in a ballet classroom for the beginning of technical training, so it needs not to sound like a concert stage, resonant without reverb, and give the listener a clear rhythm and consistent tempo (otherwise, I'd play this piece rather differently.)

In settings, I started with the "Intimate" setting, pulled down the room mix, and turned up the condenser very slightly. I softened the velocity curve so the keys don't play quite so jumpy (normally you would not find a concert grand in a ballet classroom).

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Originally Posted by U3piano

I suspect that the choice of velocity curve, in the VST, depends on what physical keyboard you're playing.

The physical keyboard has its own "physical key velocity to MIDI velocity" map -- and they're not standardized across brands, or actions.

The VST velocity curve, _and_ that built-in physical keyboard curve, determine how the VST sounds, as you change playing dynamics.

Your right, I forgot about that. That said, my experience is the d-274 needs a "harder" type of velocity curve compared to other vst's.

T
T

Sounds great! I can't wait until I can play at your level. smile Enjoy your new instrument, and congrats on the progress you have made so far on the recording!

On the subject of velocity curve, I agree that a harder curve seems to benefit these instruments well. I use a program called VelPro to tune my velocity curve for the Bosendorfer Imperial, and without it, I think I would be horribly missing out on what VST has to offer.

Last edited by Tozen; 04/09/21 12:59 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission