2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (anotherscott, antune, bobrunyan, beeboss, Animisha, 36251, BlaisGuitars, 14 invisible), 477 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
An update: I've been getting on-line lessons every other week for a few months. It's not as good as in person but generally it works well enough. The tone of the piano is a bit distorted but the full range comes across and the notes are distinguishable. It's harder for the teacher to see physically what I'm doing but it's manageable.

The best part is neither of us has to drive anywhere. Still, looking forward to being able to do it in person.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
P
Hey, I've been teaching online for almost a year and I've been through so many stages of loving/hating it. I am currently really enjoying it. Part of this is because I've gotten an ethernet cable and I've asked all of my students to change their settings on Zoom so that the background noise option is on 'low', with a specific music mode selected in the settings.
There was a stage where I really didn't think online lessons were working well, but this was mostly as my wifi was really poor and the students had the wrong settings selected. I would say definitely consider a webcam and/or mic so that your teacher can hear you properly. Most of my students aren't playing very complicated music, so basic equipment is fine. However for more advanced students, I really can't hear properly unless they have a half decent mic.
I've seen more progress in several students this year than I did last year when I was teaching in person- this may be partly due to the fact people have a lot more free time nowadays! But it definitely shows that online lessons do work, I would say that the main issues I've come across have been with young students under 10 years. I'm actually considering getting some online lessons from my own teacher who I haven't seen in years as we live in different countries- so yes, they are definitely worth it if you invest in some decent equipment and have a good internet connection.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting how you say you had been considering taking lessons from your teacher you hadn't seen in years! I have been doing the same thing since August! I hadn't seen her in 17 years!! We are on opposite coasts of the US. LOVE that we can!!

Zoom lessons are going well for me. My studio has grown from 6-8 students to 12!! Demand has really gone up. I will be opening optional in-person lessons once my husband and son get their second Covid shots. Although I have a couple of high risk students who will remain virtual. I had some new beginners start, and they are progressing a bit slower than in person, however, not too much slower. Definitely, online lessons are missing some of the nuances of in person.

I have Zoom, a Brio web cam and a Rode mic. Seems that they can see and hear me just fine. I often struggle to hear them and we have tech issues on occasion. Good thing teaching piano is not my primary source of income! I was very reluctant to teach this way at first. My studio was shuttered from March to May last year. I am glad I had parents that trusted me to stick with it. I only lost 2 students! :-)

The versatility has made me a better teacher overall, I think (hope)... (I also teach HS Math and Special Ed. in hybrid format).

Denise
2005 Schulze Pollmann 126/e Classico Upright (Maple with Sunburst inlay)
1965 Baldwin Model L 6'3" Grand (Satin Black)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online piano technician's course comparison
by letters.music - 04/16/21 09:29 AM
Three questions about sampled VST:s
by johanibraaten - 04/16/21 07:38 AM
Ideal acoustics of the music room
by kre - 04/16/21 06:58 AM
That new digital piano by Kawai (vs P515)
by onaiplatigid - 04/16/21 04:56 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,325
Posts3,083,023
Members101,205
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission