2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3099604 03/30/21 05:53 AM
M
maurus Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-piano-5

Looks a bit like twice the Nord Piano 4, plus a new 73 key version (apparently with a HA, not a HP action).

Nice.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
maurus #3099614 03/30/21 06:19 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Nice update, especially the enhanced amount of memory. You can carry around most of the pianos in XL size now I assume.

Of course the elephant in the room (I'll say it before anyone else) is Fatar. Given Nord's extremely positive spiel about this action one wonders what it doesn't do that Nord thinks Kawai's action does do in the Nord Grand.

maurus #3099620 03/30/21 06:58 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Not bad. I'd purchase the 73-key version if it had a VA-engine but I guess they wanted to keep that for the Nord Stage. From what I notice, there's some revival of vintage music styles and a modern fusion of funk, jazz, old-style electronica, rock, etc. Many people are now adding real analog or analog-modeled synths on top of their stage pianos. But it would be nice to have all that in a single keyboard. The Korg Grandstage comes to mind and I would personally get it over this Nord Piano 5, as much as I'd love to have a Nord. New Roland keyboards also feature VA-synth engine, as well as Kurzweils. Having simple sample-based engine for synth sounds as in this Nord Piano is a bit lame...

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/30/21 07:00 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
maurus #3099622 03/30/21 07:15 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hmm.... just the next day I paid for my Nord Piano 4 order. Great eek Should I cancel the deal? Well... since there is no significant improvement with action/polyphony/piano solo section, I guess not. Various layerings are good, but I play piano solo all the time....
And what's gonna be the price? I think it will be much higher than 2300$ I paid for Piano 4.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

maurus #3099625 03/30/21 07:22 AM
P
P
It's still red.
I would never buy a lurid, bright red keyboard.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
Hmm.... just the next day I paid for my Nord Piano 4 order.

Ouch.

Should I cancel the deal? ...I play piano solo all the time....

In that case, get the Nord Grand.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
maurus #3099627 03/30/21 07:27 AM
M
maurus Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Now where is that extremely durable 73 key RH-III action by Kawai, to be built into a NP 5-73 ? wink

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
maurus #3099639 03/30/21 08:02 AM
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
James says, “get the Nord Grand” (for solo piano).

Let’s be clear, using a Kawai action in a Nord was not necessary; other than wanting to market the heck out of this “partnership”.

Kawai has a reputation for making good actions, so what better than to throw their name around and charge a bundle for it.

The truth is that an action in isolation is nothing, and pairing a Kawai action, albeit slightly modified, with a Nord sound engine will not give you a Kawai-like experience.

If they were serious about action, they’d be building their own; designed from the ground up to perfectly match their sound engine(s).

The Nord Grand costs as much as an NU1X; think about that for a minute, and keep in mind that both instruments are targeted towards so-called serious (no bells and whistles) musicians that are mostly interested in “piano”.

The NU1X has a real upright action, but you already knew that; the Nord Grand has an action borrowed from Kawai and modified by Nord, and you guessed it, it’s not Kawai’s top-of-the-line action.

In conclusion, the Nord Grand is overpriced and so are the rest of the Nords.

So their samples are “large”, and?

Yamaha and Kawai have proven what can be possible with moderately sized samples coupled with modeling: it is magical!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hmm.... just the next day I paid for my Nord Piano 4 order.

Ouch.

Should I cancel the deal? ...I play piano solo all the time....

In that case, get the Nord Grand.

Cheers,
James
x

Considered that. But it's at least 800 bucks more expensive here. And I had Kawai CA17 with RHIII action. Funny story. I was convinced buy all those flourish descriptions on Kawai site that this action provides realistic acoustic grand expression etc. And when I came to my first piano teacher and tried to play something in front of her, I was confused and ashamed of how my hands got stuck in the keys of an acoustic baby-grand she had, as if the keys were viscous or something. Playing RHIII gane me a feeling of walking on solid ground, and after that acoustic was like a swamp.
So, it's all lyrics. After all, with time I soaked in those russian piano teachers approach - do not care about actions, they are all different, vary from digital to digital, from acoustic to digital, from acoustic to acoustic and so on. You just have to adapt in a couple of minutes.
So, sound is the only thing a care about now.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

Pete14 #3099645 03/30/21 08:10 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Pete14

The Nord Grand costs as much as an NU1X; think about that for a minute, and keep in mind that both instruments are targeted towards so-called serious (no bells and whistles) musicians that are mostly interested in “piano”.

Are you sure? If that's true, it looks like some piano companies have really dofferent prices for "rich" and "poor" countries, because here on Russia NU1X is two times more expensive than Nord Grand.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
it looks like some piano companies have really different prices for "rich" and "poor" countries, because here on Russia NU1X is two times more expensive than Nord Grand.

Well, you were enemies with Japan in WWII, right? And Sweden was neutral. Coincidence? 🤨

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P

Are you sure? If that's true, it looks like some piano companies have really dofferent prices for "rich" and "poor" countries, because here on Russia NU1X is two times more expensive than Nord Grand.

Okay, I will say ‘as it relates to the USA’.

The Nord Grand ‘bundle’ @Kraft sells for $5,396. This includes the piano, stand, speakers, and bench. It includes some other useless/cheap items like headphones and ‘cables’. But the essential package, once again, is piano, stand, speakers, and bench.

Someone here @PW recently bought an NU1X for about $5,300. This included the upright cabinet, mounted speakers, real action, and a nicer bench; heck, if you poke at the dealer you might even get headphones and a wireless adapter (for WiFi).

So do the math........

CyberGene #3099657 03/30/21 08:34 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
it looks like some piano companies have really different prices for "rich" and "poor" countries, because here on Russia NU1X is two times more expensive than Nord Grand.

Well, you were enemies with Japan in WWII, right? And Sweden was neutral. Coincidence? 🤨

Ha-ha))
I am messed up a little. Is it Nord too cheap in Russia compared to USA or is it Yamaha too cheap in USA compared to Russia:)? What's the pricing?
Russia: 3150 for Nord Grand (no stand, speakers etc. - just an instrument) and 7000 for Yamaha NU1X.

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 03/30/21 08:35 AM.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

maurus #3099661 03/30/21 08:44 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not a fan of Nord acoustic pianos after owning Piano3. To me, a new piano using the same samples is not a great leap. Just being able to store more XL samples doesn't change the fact, IMHO, still all sound similar. I'd like to see a new leap from Nord with different sampling architecture and samples/sounds rivaling VSTs.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Pete14 #3099665 03/30/21 08:53 AM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Many people are now adding real analog or analog-modeled synths on top of their stage pianos. But it would be nice to have all that in a single keyboard.
As you kind of said, this is why they make the Nord Stage 3. I guess what you want is either a Nord Piano with a full synth, or a Nord Stage without the organ.

The Nord Grand costs as much as an NU1X
I'm seeing $3700 for Nord Grand, $6600 for NU1X. I saw your other post, but skewing the comparison with extra items not everyone needs for one vs. a special deal not commonly available for the other is not a fair comparison, and I imagine some people have found some special deals on Nord Grand, too.

keep in mind that both instruments are targeted towards so-called serious (no bells and whistles) musicians that are mostly interested in “piano”
Nord Grand doesn't doesn't really compete in the same market as the NU1X...it is designed to be a premium portable piano, and one with a wide range of supporting non-piano sounds. The closest Yamaha would be the CP88.

No one is going to argue that Nords are not premium priced. They are a lower volume, more "boutique" company than Yamaha. But they succeed by supplying products that better fill some people's needs. CP88 came out later and provided some good competition, and I have a feeling Nord Grand will be updated before too long as well. If people don't think it's worth it, they won't buy it. Ultiimately, that's what determines whether it's over-priced or not.

maurus #3099666 03/30/21 08:54 AM
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
..but, 33, you can’t compare just the Nord Grand, you need to factor in the stand, speakers, and bench because with Yamaha this is all included by design, and one can argue, more cohesively because the unit is designed from the ground up to work in tandem; all the moving parts working in a perfect synergy that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Take the speakers, for example, in isolation they’re nothing to brag about, but as part of the cohesive the experience is uncannily real.

I wonder if the Nord Grand with an action built by Kawai and speakers built by who knows who will match the experience of playing the NU1X.

Perhaps Nord built the speakers?, but still they stand independent from the piano; whereas with the NU1X the speakers are the piano, the action is the piano, the cabinet is the piano......you get where I’m going with this?

maurus #3099671 03/30/21 09:09 AM
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
anotherscott, if I may humbly disagree, we need to include the stand, the speakers, and the bench because the NU1X includes all of this.

The comparison is fair because whilst the Nord Grand ‘can’ be portable this is not how it’s marketed. It’s marketed as an instrument for serious ‘solo’ piano playing; hence, why James recommend it for just that.

I don’t see anyone buying a Nord Grand for gigging, and since Nord had the nerve to “suggest” that this instrument is the holy grail then it should be compared to the real holy grail: hybrids!

Once again, the comparison is valid because of the similar prices (all included), and the fact that Nord sells the piano as a no-nonsense instrument for ‘serious’ pianists; a bit of an oxymoron, if you ask me, because other than Liberace, most pianists like their pianos black, but I digress.

Perhaps they should tuck it all into a cabinet, paint it black and rebrand it as the Nord Nero!

Pete14 #3099672 03/30/21 09:09 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

The Nord Grand ‘bundle’ @Kraft sells for $5,396. This includes the piano, stand, speakers, and bench. It includes some other useless/cheap items like headphones and ‘cables’. But the essential package, once again, is piano, stand, speakers, and bench.

Someone here @PW recently bought an NU1X for about $5,300. This included the upright cabinet, mounted speakers, real action, and a nicer bench; heck, if you poke at the dealer you might even get headphones and a wireless adapter (for WiFi).

So do the math........

And for folks who would want a completely Nord-only package, it costs more. That is, the Nord stand, Nord pedal unit, both specially made for the Grand, Nord Piano Monitors, stands for Monitors, all colored red (except for Piano Monitor stands)

- if not exceeding, it's almost the same as the NU1X.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
maurus #3099673 03/30/21 09:16 AM
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Thank you, mmathew!

Finally, a voice of reason arises.

I tell you, sometimes it’s tough trying to get through to some people ‘round here (this part is meant in jest; in case someone doesn’t get it). grin

mmatthew #3099674 03/30/21 09:18 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by mmathew

So do the math........

And for folks who would want a completely Nord-only package, it costs more. That is, the Nord stand, Nord pedal unit, both specially made for the Grand, Nord Piano Monitors, stands for Monitors, all colored red (except for Piano Monitor stands)

- if not exceeding, it's almost the same as the NU1X.

Yeah....
Well, we all have various needs. I do need cabinet piano with speakers now. I already have some to connect my soon coming NP4. And I owned LX706, so I understand really (not only in theory now) that even relatively expensive cabinet piano with speakers will not come close to real acoustic. And thus I play in headphones almost all the time. Cause in headphones even cheap slabs sound better than expensive cabinet DPs through speakers.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission