2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (chopin_r_us, Ben_NZ, Anna Helena, Alfred La Fleur, busa, brennbaer, Bett, Adypiano, Anglagard44, 8 invisible), 937 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello Piano World friends! I thought I might share my recent recording of Johannes Brahms very tender and moving Intermezzo in A, Op.118, No.2 - which reflects my time of solace and self-reflection with my family over this past year during the pandemic. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did learning and playing it!

Jason Solomonides - Brahms: Intermezzo in A Major, Op.118, No.2
Live Recording on March 14, 2021 on Mason & Hamlin BB via ProRecord MIDI and PianoTeq 7.1;
Digital Audio via VSL Synchron Concert D-274.

This piece epitomizes so much of what I love about Brahms; his deep understanding and ever changing use of harmony and rhythm - he virtually never repeats a melody without further developing it and changing it! It truly is a mark of a humble, brilliant and mature composer, and is representative of why he is considered to be the true “successor” to Beethoven. His works at first may not appear to be “showy” or “pianistic”, but they are satisfyingly very full and passionate.

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkP65I5BsNipAaT6BbTL-A7ibPdOv0DEZ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This has always been one of my favourite Brahms piano pieces.

I very much appreciate your interpretation: nice tempo and good voicing. I do like your use of rubato; it seems right for this piece. One of my teachers claimed that Brahms called these late pieces (Opp. 117 through 119) "children of my old age," but the research I have done including reading through Brahms' letters has never brought up that quote. I like it, however, as it characterizes the nostalgia that so many of these work evoke - for me (in my old age!), at least.

Again, thanks for sharing this; it's a lovely, refined performance.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Very nice performance and thanks, too, for sharing.
I also love that piece, in fact it was what finally made me take an interest in Brahms.

Last edited by petebfrance; 03/21/21 07:02 PM.

regards
Pete
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
This is also one of my favorite pieces by Brahms and it is a most heartfelt composition with plenty of emotion and reflective introspection.

Enjoyed the playing! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sensitive playing with a very warm sound. A lovely performance!

I'm intrigued by the recording information. Are you playing on an acoustic grand but capturing it into midi? Then recording through the VSL D274? Maybe I'm way off but that sounds fascinating.

OP Offline
@BruceD
Thank you so much for your kind analysis and background on the late works of Brahms! Whether or not he actually said that about his Op.117-Op.119 works, they certainly do seem like "children of (his) old age"! They are such mature compositions, and so very beautifully crafted; certainly works of a master musician composer. I find that as I get older, there is so much more to learn!

@petebfrance
I love this piece as well. I hear elements of so many of his prior melodic phrasings in this piece... from his Lullaby to his 2nd Piano Concerto (which for me also made me take such great interest in Brahms)

@grand_BB_7_1
It truly is heartfelt, nostalgic and introspective as you and BruceD noted. P.S. Looking forward to hearing your "new to you" rebuilt Mason & Hamlin BB! I love both the old an new BBs!

@Pathbreaker
Appreciate the feedback and compliments! With twin almost nine year old daughters being schooled full-time from home and a cute 6 month old rescue puppy, producing high quality acoustic recordings from my Mason & Hamlin BB is virtually impossible these days. This recording was done while the twins were taking competitive Irish step dance class upstairs in our bonus room - including hard shoes on a Marley floor... which you can hear in the distance in the iPhone XR video-acoustic recording! Plus it's been about 8 to 9 months since I had the Mason & Hamlin BB tuned... it's not bad with all the DampChasser's and local AirCare humidity control I have going on in that room (which you can also hear in the acoustic recording).

I had ProRecord and PianoDisc installed as part of the prep for delivery, when I purchased my new Mason & Hamlin BB from the Haverhill, MA factory in 2015. I use the ProRecord optical MIDI system to capture the MIDI performance - I feel it does capture they dynamic response fairly well - perhaps because my WNG composite action and carbon-fiber hammers are fairly consistent despite variations in humidity. But I do check it on an annual basis to insure proper calibration with proportional sustain and interpretation of the soft pedal; I've developed a method to use PianoDisc's test mode to produce a consistent strike to each note, and then use this to calibrate each note dynamically relative to one another. Once I did this the first time, I usually do not have to alter it much on my annual check.

I also used PianoTeq 7.1 to record the MIDI performance... as I take advantage of this VST's built-in velocity curve editor to best match the responsiveness of the BB's Kluge keyboard; this involves a non-linear response curve that is shallow for pianissimo (below MIDI values of 25), linear in the mid-range, and steeper for forte/fortissimo (above MIDI values of 75).
Velocity = [0, 1, 10, 25, 35, 46, 60, 70, 85, 107, 127; 0, 0, 5, 15, 25, 38, 60, 80, 105, 127, 127]. Many of the new VST's - have this capability, but I still use PianoTeq because of it's near zero-latency and because I nearly always have it on to capture my practicing as well - and sometimes listen to my evening practice with the mute rail on and my headphones on.

I typically do my recordings with no headphones as a straight acoustic performance (with either my iPhone recording or a high quality TEAC digital sound recorder I own and with my AKG mics), while simultaneously capturing the MIDI output. This way I am not compromising my performance as a result of the VST. Once I have a performance that is acceptable, I play this back though VSL Synchron Concert D274's sampled instrument. I also have Garritan Yamaha CFX and Embertone's Walker 1955 Concert D VSTs as well, and have tried acoustically combining them together or with PianoTeq, but typically the most representative sound of the performance is generated with only one of the sampled instruments. When my BB gets tuned post-pandemic, it might be fun to do some further analysis or synthesis of the acoustic performance with the VSL Synchron Concert D274 in Reaper or Audacity...

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkP65I5BsNipAaT6BbTL-A7ibPdOv0DEZ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, that's amazing. Thanks for sharing the details.

S
S
Very nice! I've been working on this piece and your playing gave me a better understanding of some sections.

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best piano under 3600$ / 3000€
by PaJaC - 09/21/21 02:11 AM
FP-90 volume problems
by choppin - 09/20/21 10:15 PM
Pictures at an Exhibition: Yuking Chou Brandenburgh
by FrankCox - 09/20/21 08:16 PM
Roland FP30 Headphone/Line out hiss?
by Raf702 - 09/20/21 06:56 PM
Keybeds Korg SV2 vs D1
by David Izquierdo - 09/20/21 06:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,216
Posts3,133,886
Members102,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission