2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I have an opportunity to buy these instruments for the same price (2400 bucks here). They say Casio's touch is superior, obviously. But what about sound (in headphones, first of all)? Why is Nord much more expensive than most of the slabs? Is it because of all these whistles and wow-wow-effects on it's front panel? Or because of really good piano sound, as some say?

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

F
F
I own the GP 310 and am very happy with it. I bought it for my basement studio as an acoustic is not an option for that space. The action was the determining factor and the sound of the Steinway patch - mellow is my favorite - is good. If sound quality and headphone use was my main focus though I may have gone in a different direction. Congratulations on your piano progress as I watched one of your videos. If you already have an acoustic and are looking for something to practice with headphones mostly I would recommend going with the Nord as it’s the quality of their sound samples along with the ability to download and customize patches from their website as the reason for the cost. As an added bonus it’s easily portable. Good luck and all the best ...

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thank you for the answer!
I also talked to one guy who has both Korg D1 (which I owned myself, and remember it as very good one) and Nord electro 5D. So, he says "I'm selling D1 now. D1 is good instrument, but Nord is pure joy".

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 03/20/21 05:37 AM.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
If you like a wide variety of piano sounds with a bit of character thrown in then there's a good chance you'd like the Nord. I'm not quite the Nord fan I used to be but for sheer breadth and variety you can't beat Nord.

Action wise the Casio is WAY better. The Casio's Bechstein sample is quite okay. The Hamburg grand (Steinway) is plinky-plonky in the mid-range - a bit toy like if you ask me. None of the piano sounds sustain quite enough in my opinion but it's certainly useable.

In conclusion, Nord beats Casio for piano sound hands down, but the Casio is okay. Casio beats Nord for action hands down, but the Nord is okay.

What are your biggest priorities?

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EssBrace
If you like a wide variety of piano sounds with a bit of character thrown in then there's a good chance you'd like the Nord. I'm not quite the Nord fan I used to be but for sheer breadth and variety you can't beat Nord.

Action wise the Casio is WAY better. The Casio's Bechstein sample is quite okay. The Hamburg grand (Steinway) is plinky-plonky in the mid-range - a bit toy like if you ask me. None of the piano sounds sustain quite enough in my opinion but it's certainly useable.

In conclusion, Nord beats Casio for piano sound hands down, but the Casio is okay. Casio beats Nord for action hands down, but the Nord is okay.

What are your biggest priorities?

My priorities gradually shifted from action towards sound. That's why I consider Nord now. Some say their piano sounds are the closest to real.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Nord sounds the most real because there is character and little anomalies in the samples. In terms of recorded sound, of all digital pianos, including VSTs, Nord wins the realism prize to my ears.

To play however, it's not as straightforward! Nord is good but there are others that are as rewarding, or considerably more so perhaps.

O
O
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Nord sounds the most real because there is character and little anomalies in the samples. In terms of recorded sound, of all digital pianos, including VSTs, Nord wins the realism prize to my ears.

To play however, it's not as straightforward! Nord is good but there are others that are as rewarding, or considerably more so perhaps.

+1

Nord samples and good vsts are miles ahead from any digital piano in the sound realism department

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission