2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 13 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3092453 03/12/21 11:57 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I'm about to buy a Yamaha S7X. Can anyone who has bought or sold one of these PM me? Just want to be sure I'm paying the right price for it.

T
T
That is super exciting... what is the wait time?

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Just 7 days as there is one in Australia.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Just 7 days as there is one in Australia.

Excellent - Congrats!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Excellent decision. I would love to own one of those! Congratulations, I know it's been a challenging process for you. Now you can move on and enjoy your music with your new instrument.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I realized that for the kind of music I play (eg Rachmaninoff/Scriabin), I needed a brassy instrument with clarity, brilliance and a powerful bass and tenor. Bosendorfer, Shigeru Kawai and Schimmel seemed too polite for this kind of music. Fazioli were double the price and seemed to have a very plain sound. It's possible that a brand new Steinway C would have fit the bill, but they're double the price. So it didn't seem to me there were many competitors that fit this criteria.

Last edited by Sonepica; 03/13/21 04:43 AM.
G
G
I believe C.Bechstein or W.Hoffmann might have fit the bill. Did you try one of those as well?

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I did play some Bechsteins at a dealer once, but didn't pay much attention to them at the time so I can't recall.

I was a bit concerned that Yamaha might be a piano designed more for jazz music rather than classical. But now I feel like this may actually make them more suitable for music like Rachmaninoff, rather than less. It sets them apart from "quaint" pianos which are designed more for early classical music like Mozart, baroque music, or french music like Debussy. But I feel like the new Yamahas are not just powerful, they are also capable of being played very softly. They have a very delicate character to them, particularly in the crisp treble.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations! If someone advises on pricing, remember that your market may not reflect no dissimilar regions.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I was a bit concerned that Yamaha might be a piano designed more for jazz music rather than classical. But now I feel like this may actually make them more suitable for music like Rachmaninoff, rather than less. It sets them apart from "quaint" pianos which are designed more for early classical music like Mozart, baroque music, or french music like Debussy. But I feel like the new Yamahas are not just powerful, they are also capable of being played very softly. They have a very delicate character to them, particularly in the crisp treble.
I think you just have your personal tonal preferences. I don't think its at all true that any of the best pianos are "quaint" or designed more for Mozart or Baroque music.

You mentioned Shigeru as not to your liking based on your preferred repertorie. But a PW member, Can Cakmur, just won a big competition playing the Liszt Concerto on a Shigeru.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/13/21 11:55 AM.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Based on your preference, I don’t think you will find pianos that you like other than Steinway, Fazioli and Yamaha. And you already excluded Steinway and Fazioli. Not sure if you’ve explored the used piano market. If you like the S7X, just go for it!

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The main thing is to pick something that gives legitimate satisfaction. Nobody here can measure that, or weigh the precise alternatives OP has. Even if the average Yamaha is less good than the average Shigeru Kawai, we don't know how well either of these has turned out.

Also, we do have reports that the S7X can be quite marvelous. Best in class? Perfect value? Unable to be improved? Probably not. But that doesn't mean that this one won't be a great companion.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
The main thing is to pick something that gives legitimate satisfaction. Nobody here can measure that, or weigh the precise alternatives OP has. Even if the average Yamaha is less good than the average Shigeru Kawai, we don't know how well either of these has turned out.

Also, we do have reports that the S7X can be quite marvelous. Best in class? Perfect value? Unable to be improved? Probably not. But that doesn't mean that this one won't be a great companion.

How does one define best in class? Some people claim that Shigeru Kawai is better because it is more handmade. But when I sat down at an SK-5 it just didn't have much power or grit and I couldn't see myself playing Rachmaninoff or Scriabin on it.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well, then, go for what you like and don't worry about global reactions to averages.

Online Content

How does one define best in class? Some people claim that Shigeru Kawai is better because it is more handmade. But when I sat down at an SK-5 it just didn't have much power or grit and I couldn't see myself playing Rachmaninoff or Scriabin on it.
You;re comparing the S7X to a piano almost a foot shorter.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
How does one define best in class? Some people claim that Shigeru Kawai is better because it is more handmade.

Others claim the S series Yamahas are equal. I'd love an S7X or an SK-7.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

You;re comparing the S7X to a piano almost a foot shorter.

Actually, it was an S6X I was playing as the dealer didn't have an S7X. And unfortunately the Kawai dealer didn't have an SK-6 or SK-7. But I did get to compare the 212cm S6X with the slightly larger 214cm Bosendorfer 214VC right next to it, and the S6X blew it away in terms of power in the bass and tenor.

N
ngk Offline
N
C7X was next to a C6X when I went to the store in CA. (I wish they had an S7X). There was the expected increased power in the 7, for sure. Both were very consistent tonally. A "platinum" top end on the f -ff tones. A distinct, new generation from the C7 E or F series.

I've played many rebuilt Steinway B's in showrooms, rebuild shops, and not one has gotten me inspired...nice, but no magic "Steinway" moment. Midrangey....I also played a brand new D in a home, and it was very good, but not so inspiring to justify the jump in price.

As I look to possibly upgrade, I'm also interested in the Enspire PRO features, having had a 2001 DC7APro Disklavier in my previous studio.

I think you just have your personal tonal preferences. I don't think its at all true that any of the best pianos are "quaint" or designed more for Mozart or Baroque music.

You mentioned Shigeru as not to your liking based on your preferred repertorie. But a PW member, Can Cakmur, just won a big competition playing the Liszt Concerto on a Shigeru.

Absolutely! +1

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Fluxo

Absolutely! +1

He's actually playing on a concert grand, not an sk 5,6 or 7. It could be a matter of voicing - perhaps the new SKs have soft hammers and need to be worn in a bit. All I know is, the sk5 at the dealer, in it's current state, did not seem to me aggressive enough for Rachmaninoff or Scriabin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission