2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Prasads Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello,
My son is learning piano and currently using a very basic model of Casio. He is at Intermediate level. We are planning to buy a digital piano for him. I came across some used piano models like Roland DP-970, Yamaha YDP 131, Roland HP 203 in good condition and reasonable price. I am somewhat confused whether to buy these kind of models or some recent ones like Roland FP 30, Yamaha DGX 660.
Can anyone guide me choosing one?

Prasad
B
B
What does reasonable price mean for you? What is your budget that you want to spend?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
My first question would be ...

How do you know your son is at the intermediate level ?

I ask because it is unlikely an intermediate level player is learning on what you describe as "a very basic model of casio".

Also ... how old is your son ?

Does he get a vote on his next piano ?

So .... I would need more information before I could give you the advice you seek.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As others have stated, we need more information. Also consider the below please and provide some more context/information so we can help you pick the best, affordable one:

If it's piano classes and NOT keyboard that your child is learning/progressing through - the models you need to be considering will be very different. For piano lessons (classical, jazz), I know of teachers who won't take students (> 5 years of age) unless they have access to an acoustic. I know of some who will compromise with keyboards having certain actions. If your child plans to progress through the grades of well known and widely used piano methods - the choice you make now will be critical to your child's success.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
P
If your situation allows, then an acoustic piano would be better for your son.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any digital piano that's over 1 generation old. Things improve so quickly, like computers, with digital pianos in the areas of sound generation and connectivity. Even my current-generation P515, I really wished it can send audio to Bluetooth headphones (it's got Bluetooth, but only to receive audio).

WRT the Yamaha DGX660, you can get the same in terms of action and sound from the Yamaha P-45, which is $300 cheaper.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@Prasads: You mention some really old models. I'd avoid anything more than five years old.
Contrary to what piano2020 said above, it is not important whether a piano is a generation old. Pianos change VERY little over time.
They change the buzz words A LOT. But the pianos change only very slowly.
It's age and wear that you need to be wary of.

Also, dmd and mmathew bring some good advice, above. Have a look.

R
R
Have you asked your son's teacher(s) for input? May be a good place to start. You probably want to focus on the action and the feel of the keyboard. And if the teachers refuse to teach kids on anything other than an acoustic, or they think that nobody can reach intermediate levels on anything other than top level pianos, I would look for new teachers... That said, it is absolutely true that you have given too little information to get useful feedback.

Last edited by rocdoc; 03/08/21 03:17 PM.

Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
P
Prasads Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks all!
He plays some symphonies like Hungarian Rhapsody, Turkish March, etc with little efforts. He reads the sheet music and composes his own small tunes. I am not sure if I should call it as intermediate level. His teacher just asked to get a 88 keys weighted action as per the budget like Yamaha P45. The current one is just 61 keys Yamaha E263 which we already had before he started learning. As he grew in fluency, feels a desperate need of next level instrument. Looking at his current interest level, I think he would peruse piano career in long term. So just confused whether to go with entry level for now and change later with next instrument or buy a piano which would last for at least 5, 6 years until there is an urge of upright or proper acoustic kind of piano. Accordingly, can you please suggest?

Prasad
@Prasads: If I were recommending a digital piano I'd call for a Yamaha N3X ... but that costs around $13,000 in the US.
Is that within your budget? You really need to specify your spending limit.

P
Prasads Offline OP
OP Offline
P
@MacMacMac. Definitely I do not have that much budget. I am looking for around 1200 to 1300$ at this point.

Prasad
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
For someone who may pursue a career in piano and feels a 'desperate need of next level instrument', I don't think a Yamaha P45 or anything else remotely close to that price range is going to suit his wants and needs.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . His teacher just asked to get a 88 keys weighted action as per the budget like Yamaha P45. . . .

Sometimes, people here give advice that is not tied to the real world.

. . . If the P45 is in your budget, follow the teacher's advice.

If your son needs a better piano in the future, you can sell the P45, and recover most of your money. There are better digital pianos, but they are more expensive, and the P45 is good enough for him, right now.

A Yamaha P125 might be better, if you can afford that. Also Kawai ES110 is possible.

For the long term -- several years, at least -- a P515 or Roland FP-90 would be better. But they are much more expensive.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think the Roland FP10 is a good alternative too in the same price range as the Yamaha P45. Here in Sweden it's a popular model in music schools and for students alike.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
I think the Yamaha P515 is a sweet deal. You get a lot for the money. And it's MUCH better than the low end pianos.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I think the Yamaha P515 is a sweet deal. You get a lot for the money. And it's MUCH better than the low end pianos.

Thank you, Mac! wink

You forgot to mention that it is the best in its class; hands down!

Yes, it’s only 1.5K; whereas, the lowly Roland equivalent (FP-90$) costs much more.

Time will prove us right, Mac!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Thank you, Mac! wink

You forgot to mention that it is the best in its class; hands down!

Yes, it’s only 1.5K; whereas, the lowly Roland equivalent (FP-90$) costs much more.

Time will prove us right, Mac!

Just wanted to do a +1 to Pete and Mac.

I actually foresee Yamaha adding some small feature to this already great instrument, and jacking up the price by $500. Get it while you can - that is, if you can manage to find one these days.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
Prasads Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Finally, I bought a barely used Yamaha DGX660 at a very reasonable price. My son liked it. He is appearing for 4th level of exam now. Thanks for all your guidance.

Prasad

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission