2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I realize these comparison videos online are pretty unfair, given different conditions, recording devices, rooms, prep, and who knows what else. But I thought this was an interesting "blind test" from a respected guy who is upfront about the caveats. Personally, and on one listening, I could tell my preferences but of course didn't know which piano was which at the time. (Caution: Robert gives away which piano is which in the text below, so best just to listen and not scroll down to see which is which).

https://livingpianos.com/steinway-vs-chinese-piano-can-you-hear-the-difference/

Chickering & Sons Patrician
5’ 8.5” (174 cm)
Aeolian-American Corp.
East Rochester, NY
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I watched that. I have never been a fan of his recording techniques, especially given his vast knowledge in general. I thought both examples sounded pretty awful, unfortunately. But I know it's not the pianos themselves. (I listened on my own studio equipment in my own studio.) I wish I could be part of an in-person comparison!

I am looking forward to what people here think of it!

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Well, I guessed wrong, for what it's worth. Given that different recording equipment was used at different times in different rooms, was this a valid comparison? The other alternate, of course, is that I am not that discerning when it comes to distinguishing between a Steinway and a Hailun.

Again, for what it's worth, I thought that the piano in the second recording had a more uniform voice - or voicing at the hands of a technician. But, what do I know?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ya, I was wrong about the pianos, too, but I COULD tell different rooms, different mics, different recording placement, vastly different recording qualities, and so on. I have been a fan of his long enough to have gone through several iterations of recording equipment and studios, so I was afraid that was going to be a factor. That also means he had different techs for each of the pianos, and so on. It doesn't help that I am generally not a fan of S&S nor Chinese pianos sounds in the first place.

I do music stuffs

Current:
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
Estrin is a Hailun dealer! We don't know anything about the preparation of the Steinway. Since he's a Hailun dealer, I think it's naive to think Estrin chose a great example of a Steinway O to compare with the Hailun. Notice how he also says the Steinway was recorded with better equipment so that if one correctly chose the Steinway he's kind of making an excuse for the Hailun.

Of course, none of the above means the Hailun might not really compare very favorably to the Steinway or that some people might not prefer the Hailun if they personally tried the pianos. But I think this comparison test has to be taken with a big grain of salt.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Estrin is a Hailun dealer! We don't know anything about the preparation of the Steinway. Since he's a Hailun dealer, I think it's naive to think Estrin chose a great example of a Steinway O to compare with the Hailun. Notice how he also says the Steinway was recorded with better equipment so that if one correctly chose the Steinway he's kind of making an excuse for the Hailun.

Of course, none of the above means the Hailun might not really compare very favorably to the Steinway or that some people might not prefer the Hailun if they personally tried the pianos. But I think this comparison test has to be taken with a big grain of salt.

Don’t most online piano comparisons need to be taken with a grain of salt?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I guessed correctly. Part of this is deciding on one criterion that will help make the cut.

There is a similar one out there on violins, done by the BBC around 1970. People often use that to abuse critics who think that expensive fiddles actually sound better. I found that the Strad and the Guarnerius were pretty easy to pick out of the lineup, and tell apart from each other.

The other two (a mediocre 19c French instrument and contemporary British violin by a forgotten maker) were obviously less good. The trick to sorting those out was remembering that French violins of that vintage were especially nasal. I played head games with myself and mixed up those two.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I didn't know that he was a Hailun dealer at his new place. He has an ulterior motive to making this video in the first place: hoping the Hailun sounds more like what we expect a S&S to sound like to get more hype about Chinese pianos.

I do music stuffs

Current:
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I guessed correctly. Being a NY S&S owner, I wonder if I would get it wrong or not. I guess I recognized the sound right away. For me, the 1st recording sounded much richer and orchestral. That's what 1st drew me to the NY Steinway sound, so I picked up on the overtones immediately. The 2nd performance sounded very clean for the most part. There were noises that bothered me in that one, and the overtones in that recording seemed out of tune to my ears.

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I did listen to the piece. I didn't even try to decide wich one is wich. If you tell me it is the same piano both times i believe you. I can't hear any difference between them. Both sound great.

The mediocre playing made them both sound pretty bad. Any particular instrument can sound or feel great or terrible. Some Steinways are real dogs. If sound was the only criteria, we would all have Japanese pianos because they sound great. But touch is equally if not more important.

1899 M&H C, 2015 Steinway D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I can't help but think of what the French had to say, the year California wines shut them out of the competition. But, what do I know; I play a Japanese-made piano and think it's nice. Makes me get kind of shivery when I'm playing scales that take me down to those bottom notes. Gives me a little something to think of while my fingers are on autopilot, trying to see if I can hear the tenor break (I really can't).

Ulterior motives are a big problem with a comparison like this, though. Would you hire a tech to do an inspection for condition on a piano you were considering buying, knowing that he or she had an undisclosed financial interest in the sale? It would bother me. Being absolutely blatant about it does not help the demonstration enough.

I think that both marques have their own reputations, and that a comparison like this is unlikely to change much. But wait--- wasn't that the topic sentence?

Clef

D
D
I guessed correctly. After hearing the first one I thought the second would have a thicker bass. The second had a louder bass, but when I heard the treble I was thinking the harp wasn't sand cast because it sounded more metallic.

And when he mentioned the Hailun was recorded with a large diaphragm condenser and the steinway with neumann mics( I suspect small diaphragm) it made sense why the Hailun had louder bass.

Just my opinion. Take with grain of salt.

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Download it along with my other free libraries (Fazioli F308, Yamaha S6, Steinway B, etc) HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
Originally Posted by oldMH
If sound was the only criteria, we would all have Japanese pianos because they sound great. But touch is equally if not more important.
My strong impression is that the top Kawai and Yamaha piano are known for their excellent actions.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by oldMH
If sound was the only criteria, we would all have Japanese pianos....

Huh

Is That so

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
R
R
I guessed correctly. Both pianos sounded nice, but the Steinway recording had more color and a deeper/richer tone. The question is how much effect the different recording equipment had on the results.

There is a 50% chance of guessing correctly with a completely random guess.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
There is a 50% chance of guessing correctly with a completely random guess.
Ha, yep! My opinion is that the recordings were too poorly and done in such vastly different ways that no one can REALLY tell.

I do music stuffs

Current:
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The recordings were pretty decent considering that they weren't done in a high end studio, and Robert's performance may not have been on the level or Hororwitz, but the difference in the core of the tonal character of the 2 pianos was clear. Yes, so there was a 50/50 chance of being right, but for one intimately familiar with the NY Steinway sound (playing one every day), it was not a guess. The instant I heard the 2nd piano, all doubts went away. Maybe Robert's experiment tells us as much about our hearing as it demonstrates the differences between 2 pianos on opposite ends of the spectrum.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It's pretty easy to tell the difference if you're familiar with the two brands. Hailuns have a quite distinct sound. Determining which has the better sound is of course a different question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission