2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3090444 03/07/21 10:19 PM
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I need a new digital piano and would really like to get a “grand” piano cased one like the GP609. Roland is the only brand being considered. I’m aware of the LX708 and the difference in keys. I also believe the engine is different, but the local salesperson is insisting they are the same engine with a different tones. They also say there is no GP609 replacement on the horizon, which surprises me given the tech in the LX. Haven’t been keeping up with digital piano trends for quite so time so I’m seeing some input or insight from the forum. I’ll probably end up ordering the GP because the LX form factor just won’t work for me, but anyone think Roland will update the GP soon?

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 03/07/21 10:22 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui
Roland is the only brand being considered.

Why is this?

The LX uses 'Pure Acoustic Modelling', the GP uses 'Supernatural Modelling'.

The 'European Grand' model on the LX is certainly superior to anything on the GP.

The LX has Roland's current flagship action with longer pivot point too.

Sounds like your dealer just wants you to buy now. He's mistaken about the sound engines being the same.

Last edited by EssBrace; 03/08/21 03:40 AM.
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Roland is the only brand being considered.

Why is this?

The LX uses 'Pure Acoustic Modelling', the GP uses 'Supernatural Modelling'.

The 'European Grand' model on the LX is certainly superior to anything on the GP.

The LX has Roland's current flagship action with longer pivot point too.

Sounds like your dealer just wants you to buy now. He's mistaken about the sound engines being the same.

I don’t really see an alternative other than the Yamahas and I’m not a huge fan of the way they sound. May go back for a second look. The LX would be my choice but the form factor just doesn’t work for me. I need something that will sit in an open space in a large room. I’m familiar with Roland’s SN engine told the salesperson that the GP uses a different engine than the LX, but he keeps insisting it’s just semantics and that while the available tones might be different, the sound engines are actually the same. Waiting to see what Roland does in 22 isn’t ideal so I may have to bite the bullet and compromise with the GP609.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I’m familiar with Roland’s SN engine told the salesperson that the GP uses a different engine than the LX, but he keeps insisting it’s just semantics and that while the available tones might be different, the sound engines are actually the same. Waiting to see what Roland does in 22 isn’t ideal so I may have to bite the bullet and compromise with the GP609.

I'm sure you're aware but Roland's original 'Supernatural' engine is not in any way related to the 'Supernatural Modelling' engine in the GP609.

The salesman is just wrong. The 'Pure Acoustic' engine is entirely new when compared with earlier engines. None of the modelled Rolands sound quite right to me - just a bit synthy and false - but they do play very well. At least with Pure Acoustic they've got something of a more distinctive tonal signature across the two piano models. The earlier Supernatural modelling engine sounds so samey and boring and doesn't have the sonic detail of a real piano sound.

I agree with you about the form factor - clearly the LX708 is just not right for you. But it is significantly superior to the GP609 in terms of sound and action. That's not a great compromise to make, given the price you'd have to pay.

How long is it since you've experienced the Yamahas? I guess their equivalent is the CLP795. The 700 series is pretty good in my opinion. It would have the look you're after. There's a Kawai too - DG30 or whatever it's called. Not Kawai's best sound engine or action but it looks nice. If you're a bit of a risk taker and want something very modern looking then the Dexibell H10 Mini Grand looks amazing to me.

Roland ought to update their flagship with their latest sound engine and action. Maybe they'll do that soon?

A
A
If you’re considering a gp609 then you should really also consider a Yamaha CLP795.

Yamaha N3
(ex Clavinova CLP-175)
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Thanks for all the input. What I like about the Roland pianos, which may be a negative for others, is that they have an exaggerated dynamic range that I find very responsive to key input. I hate to admit it, but I like them because in a way, they are easier to play. I no longer play enough to want something that will challenge my technique and endurance. I don’t feel right about buying the GP when it doesn’t incorporate their latest tech on the engine And keyboard.

I guess I need to get back into the Yamaha Dealer. Price isn’t really a consideration so I’d probably be looking at the updated N3X? I haven’t examined that model.

Edit: Just looked at the CLP795 and will definitely look at that. I guess I’ve been out of the digital piano world too long.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 03/08/21 05:18 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks for all the input. What I like about the Roland pianos, which may be a negative for others, is that they have an exaggerated dynamic range that I find very responsive to key input. I hate to admit it, but I like them because in a way, they are easier to play. I no longer play enough to want something that will challenge my technique and endurance.

Totally understand.

Good luck in your search. Perhaps you will come back and update us with your findings/opinions/decision?

H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Any thoughts on Yamaha N3X v CLP 795?

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you're willing to pay that much money, why not get a used acoustic grand and have a silent MIDI system put into it. That ought not cost more, and in a certain sense you would get two pianos for the price of one.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
If money is not a consideration and you want a Roland, maybe this would be of interest? I don't know if it's publicly available yet though.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

N3X if the price is okay for you.

The AG series has somewhat unique samples because they're four channel. N3X to my eyes exudes an aesthetic and build quality that is utterly without parallel among digital pianos. Although the case is somewhat truncated compared to even the smallest baby grand it does just sit there with a kind of charisma and physical presence that no other digital possesses or even comes close to.

That said, and notwithstanding the AG-specific sampling, the CLP-795 in theory has a sound engine that is two generations newer and it still looks very nice. Half the price too.

The action debate might be the clincher. The CLP-795 has a reengineered version of their 'Grand Touch' action with the longest pivot point of any digital piano. It seems a lot more liked that its predecessor, the 'Grand Touch' in the CLP-695/685, mainly I think because it's lighter in feel. N3X has a real Yamaha grand piano action. Both have very good onboard amp/speaker configurations although I would have to assume the N3X is superior. I'd try and play both and see. I don't think it's necessarily a foregone conclusion that you'd prefer the N3X, especially given your action preferences. But N3X feels in principle like a big step ahead of everything else.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Other than for the reason EssBrace mentions above, and IMO even considering that - this is a no brainer. The N3X would be a very very long term buy if not the last digital (correct term would be hybrid) I'll ever buy. I know it sounds cheesy, but I'd have to be crazy to want something better, even if it is an upgrade. I'll just have to stay off PW after I buy it though laugh

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I couldn't edit my comment fast enough, but I had to search a little bit for this: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/...-yamaha-even-van-cliburn-could-love.html

Happy searching Hideki!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I ended up ordering a CLP795.

Roland ... I really enjoy their products but I couldn’t justify paying for a GP609 with their last gen sound engine and keyboard.

Yamaha N3X. I don’t need the purest action so when I compared it on other points, there didn’t seem to be a great reason to opt for the N3X over the CLP795. Apart from the action, I feel like the N3X could use an update on the interface and some minor functions. Beautiful instrument but better suited to those seeking the purest action IMO.

I’ll see how the CLP fares once I have a it at home and use it for some time. I liked the action and it definitely has a more organic sound than the Roland. At a price of $7,500 it was a no brainer.

Thanks to the forum for all the input!

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I ended up ordering a CLP795.

Good choice.

You got it for a great price too.

Let us know how it works out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission