2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cleverson, Beowulf, Boboulus, anotherscott, Bruce In Philly, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 430 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
OP Offline
C
Personally, I find returning to the piano at almost 60 quite challenging. The most annoying bit (that I haven't seen discussed so much here) is the limited ability to memorize. I was never very good at that as a kid but now its even worse. For me, it's the main limiting factor. If I can keep up with the reading, I can reach my technical limits. When reading is tough and I need to memorize, progress is unbelievably slow.

As an example, I started practicing an Etude Tableau - Rach 39:8. It's hard but not impossible, looking at the parts. Buts it incredibly hard to just memorize a couple of bars...

What about other grown ups - anyone else feeling that the brain limits more than the fingers? And is there anything one can do? Memory exercises? Eating fish? Jogging?

C. Bechstein M 178 (1928)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm an older forever beginner, and can read, but not sight read then play much to my teacher's occasional irritation. I have a mixed repertoire memorised of 20 or so pieces. It takes more than maybe 70% of my practice time to keep these pieces in memory and fluent. The rest of my practice time, apart from exercises, including sight reading, is still to learn, memorise, new more advanced pieces and so add them to the repertoire, albeit more slowly than ever.

But then I started to learn improvisation, and composition, in various styles, cocktail, blues, jazz, modern. This way I found my piano and music knowledge being extended, and of course it's easy to create new pieces for my repertoire, even if they are one-offs that don't get remembered! It's more fun too!

My practice balance is changing from the aforementioned 70/30 to possibly one day 30/70 or something else as the improvisation landscape is, to me at the moment, huge.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 03/07/21 05:10 PM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Why not just improve your reading skills when playing from the score?

Memorizing pieces is simply time-wasting if you don't need to play from memory - which, incidentally, the vast majority of professional classical pianists don't.

Of course, if you practice a piece often enough for long enough, you'll develop some muscle memory of it here & there (which is all you need to play it fluently from the score), but it won't be enough for you to play it from beginning to end from memory........but do you need to?

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ColonelBogey
... The most annoying bit (that I haven't seen discussed so much here) is the limited ability to memorize...

As an example, I started practicing an Etude Tableau - Rach 39:8. It's hard but not impossible, looking at the parts. Buts it incredibly hard to just memorize a couple of bars...

It is harder to memorize something that not only is new, but is entirely new territory which makes it much harder. Do you have something you have not yet memorized, but so familiar with the score it is very comfortable to play and not that big a stretch? If so, start there.

I have never not memorized a piece in my life. But new ones that venture into new technique, or weird chord voicing, irregular rhythms are always harder. But eventually they come and mostly, just from repetition.

I can't still play every piece I have ever learned, but if I could ever find the score (not likely) I'd be able to restore them much faster than if I were just reading it anew. Even though my reading needs more attention than my memorizing does, I have never wanted to rely on a score, or need to except in early stages of developing a new piece.

So for me, memorizing has been far from a waste of time. It's why I am still here and still love playing.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis

Memorizing pieces is simply time-wasting if you don't need to play from memory - which, incidentally, the vast majority of professional classical pianists don't.

Of course, if you practice a piece often enough for long enough, you'll develop some muscle memory of it here & there (which is all you need to play it fluently from the score), but it won't be enough for you to play it from beginning to end from memory........but do you need to?

Absolutely right. I am hopeless at memorising and I never even try. I feel that my time is much better spent practising than memorising.

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by David-G

Absolutely right. I am hopeless at memorising and I never even try. I feel that my time is much better spent practising than memorising.

Right for you and bennevis, perhaps. But, we are not all the same, nor wish for the same things. Everyone has their own unique journey and experience, and it is the way it should be.

B
B
Here is the greatest pianist of the last century performing Mozart......from the music:

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Is your dream to be like him some day?

Should we all wish the same?

B
B
Originally Posted by Greener
Are you asking me?

If you are - no, I have a good job and have no wish to be a concert pianist.
Unlike him, I do perform from memory, but only because I don't have a page turner.

As you're not into classical, why would you ask such a question?

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Are you asking me?

If you are - no, I have a good job and have no wish to be a concert pianist.
Unlike him, I do perform from memory, but only because I don't have a page turner.

Because, in your earlier post you stated, that memorizing is a waste of time. So, by that I assumed that you are suggesting that because it is a waste of time for you, it should be for everyone.

BTW, I know you don't listen very well, but perhaps you should get familiar with what people play around here before you make such ridiculous statements. If you don't wish to listen at least look at the recital index of what people are interested in. I have only recorded classical there with few exceptions for specialty recitals.

B
B

Because, in your earlier post you stated, that memorizing is a waste of time. So, by that I assumed that you are suggesting that because it is a waste of time for you, it should be for everyone.
Perhaps you should stop making silly assumptions?

I was replying directly to the OP (which should be obvious), who is a classical pianist.

BTW, I know you don't listen very well, but perhaps you should get familiar with what people play around here before you make such ridiculous statements. If you don't wish to listen at least look at the recital index of what people are interested in. I have only recorded classical there with few exceptions for specialty recitals.
And perhaps you should look at yourself, and what you say in your posts - and what you actually know?

Unlike you, I know exactly who I address my posts to.

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Apparently not. You didn't even know I have an interest in classical.

Remember from now on, the new age jazzer plays classical too.

B
B
Classical music is for everyone.

That should be obvious.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Yep. It is really that simple.

This is an extremely common situation with learning to play piano.

Memorize or play while reading notation.

Memorizing is easier to do early on but fails in the long run due to running out of memory.

Gaining the skill of reading while playing is more difficult and slower early on but opens up a whole world of music when mastered.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you don't have to memorize, and don't need to memorize, then don't.

When I was 62, I went back to University to get a BM in Piano Performance. I had to memorize almost everything, including 2 solo recitals. It was a definite struggle. If you have the time, I have a thread here that I updated as I went along (for 4 years): Back to School at 62

What I learned, and what worked for me, might not work for you. I couldn't just memorize something by playing it over and over. Neither could I see the score in my head (visual memory). I had to use 1) aural memory (what does it sound like) 2) analysis (form and function and so forth) and 3) muscle memory (what does it feel like to play it - the gestures).

One of those by itself did not work. It does no good to remember how it feels if I have my hands on the wrong notes. Knowing how it sounds helps to know when I go wrong, but not how to make it right.

I had the best success by doing whatever it took to memorize a short section (sometimes very short), and "never" looking at the score for that section again. In other words, divorce yourself from the score early in the process. Of course, you have to go back and look, but you know what I mean.

I identify memory posts in the piece and give them a name. This could be as easy as "Db" or something like "recap". Just before I get to that spot, I say the name out loud. This reinforces the memory. Don't do that in performance! I also write the names on popsicle sticks (craft sticks), put them all in a mug, and pull them out at random and start playing from that spot.

What did not work? Writing out the score from memory away from the piano - not in a million years. Hoping that I would magically absorb it somehow? Never happened - I have to have a plan, go through it measure by measure, and know what is going on at all times.

Start with a simple piece, not Rachmaninoff. A classical sonata first movement is a good choice - tonally conservative, predictable, and easy to remember. That will build your confidence.

Even with all that, I had problems in recital. So using the score should be the first option...

Sam

Originally Posted by David-G

+1. It would be nice to have a selection of memorized pieces, but at age 67, it would be way too time consuming for me to accomplish.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Well, for those that wish to do it, like the OP requested, this is what I do and I have been doing it all my life. But, it is just what I do.

What does it look like? Physically on the register. Not what it looks like on the page.

What does it sound like? This will play into your ear training too. So, double bonus there.

What does it feel like? Every chord or chord voicing or whatever has a physical feel to it that becomes familiar.

Don't try to rehearse the whole thing in your head like you need to be able to think of what is going to happen every step of the way from start to finish before you even start. No-one can do that. As you develop your ear and these other abilities, as you proceed through the work each step becomes a cue for what happens next as it becomes more familiar. But, you have to keep it simple, so forget about over analyzing it. Like, this is 5 and I am now going to one. Or this is Gm7 going to C with this fancy voicing, or Beethoven was from Germany. No, just how it looks, feels and sounds. Keep it simple.

Yes, it will fail. Everything needs to be refreshed. Just like when you haven't played something from the score for quite awhile, you will need to rehearse it before you perform it.

But, do as you wish, of course.

Last edited by Greener; 03/07/21 09:18 PM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
I can read lower level pieces reasonably well. the past few years I've been reading new pieces assigned by the teacher and my reading is getting better.

A decade ago I attempted a few challenging pieces including the first movement of the popular Mozart Sonata #16 in C. My reading wasn't great so I'd practice a few measures or lines at a time and got the notes memorized. I learned the Bach Counterpoint Fugue #1 in Dm section by section and played it on a street piano from memory. I had a recording of the fugues & canons BWV1080 at home and heard it a few times so learning the notes wasn't a big deal although the counting was a bit awkward.

Once I was at a Christmas party and played the first movement of the Bach Italian Concerto in F from memory on an old upright. Worked on the piece line by line for about 2 1/2 weeks. Back in 1985 Keith Jarrett famous for his Jazz improvs made a recording of the piece. When I played the piece, I wasn't consciously thinking about the KJ recording or even tried to imitate his tempo or hand gestures. There was 1 spot he substituted lower A with a higher A that I noticed when reading the score.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N

Since this thread is about the adult learners, I find it necessary to add from my own experience. Memory for playing music without notes is not the whole problem, although it is the main thing. There is also the use of memory when reading the musical text: signs of alteration in the key, the location of the notes, a simultaneous look at the parts of both hands. All this requires the work of short-term memory, and for me it went wrong catastrophically; by the way, not only in reading music. In a youth, when everything acted quickly and accurately, there was no need to think about anything - just read the notes and play, play, play. Now, the one-time capacity of reading notes and its speed have been reduced to horror, and no amount of training helps here.
Each age has its own wisdom: much is required from the youth; and an adult should be indulgent towards himself .

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all for great input, great respectives! I realise that i have almost no visual memory of the score. I do have some visual memory of a few places in each piece where I have to have a look at the keyboard. I'll think just struggle along with what I do now, muscle memory guided by the score.

C. Bechstein M 178 (1928)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Accessories
by Roger Linder - 04/14/21 06:00 AM
Musical inclined child-experts please suggest
by venk - 04/14/21 02:45 AM
How to play this little exercise with legato?
by meghdad - 04/14/21 02:20 AM
Should I buy this Hazelton Bros Piano?
by siniarch - 04/14/21 01:29 AM
Not sure which piano to buy need some help.
by Artdealer718 - 04/14/21 01:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,276
Posts3,082,230
Members101,182
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission