2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Beansparrow, BlakeOR, Dfrankjazz, c++, chopinetto, dhull100, 10 invisible), 389 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hello,

I've just received my first piano and i'm looking right know for a first headphone in order to play on the evening.
I'm a beginner so it's difficult for me to find my first headphone. I browsed a lot this forum and also on french web and i have this list but it still difficult to choose one.
I think a Semi-open will be the best choice becauce i have a closed one for working (Jabra elite evolve 75UC) and sometimes it difficult to keep it...but maybe it's different for piano (i choose to play piano and i have to work) but i don'k know if i'am right or wrong...i don't want to have regrets because i've not spend 20euro more
Budget : 50/100€ (i'm from france)
Impedance roland FP-30X :32 Ohms

AKG K92
AKG K240 MKII
Samson SR850
Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO
Yamaha HPH-15
AKG K275
Audio-Technica ATH-M40X
Sony MDR-7506 Casque studio
Beyerdynamic 770

Thanks a lot for your help

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have used for three years now the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro, on its 80 Ohm variant, and they have worked very nicely for me. But this is a very personal subject, it is better to try by yourself. Now it is hard, I know

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
H
H
Hello,

My brother, who is 30 years ahead of me in music, who makes productions and what not, recommends the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro 80 ohm and solely uses those himself.

I have tried them, sound quality is superb, they are very comfortable to wear and the build quality is very good as well. And the price is utterly reasonable for what you get.

The only reason for me to not buy them for myself is that I am not comfortable with any kind of headphones--for me it's speakers (through hifi system) all day long.

Good luck in making a suitable choice,

HZ

I have the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro 80 ohm and am totally pleased. They are very comfortable and sound great.

You should visit a store and try several models, if that is possible, since it is a personal choice.

Online Content
I am hearing only great things about Beyerdynamic. I suppose the only negative I hear (and it really isn't a negative IMO) is the need for some good quality amps. I don't believe they are necessary for the 80ohms one though.

Headphones are a hit and miss and very very subjective. Only advice I'd give is whichever you choose, please give it sufficient time on your ears before deciding whether it's for you or not.

Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,
The only reason for me to not buy them for myself is that I am not comfortable with any kind of headphones--for me it's speakers (through hifi system) all day long.

Good luck in making a suitable choice,

HZ

HZ, mind sharing your hifi system details with me, please via PM or here if it's not too much of a thread hijacking. I am like you, I would love to NOT use my headphones. It quite literally is a burden.

Happy headphone hunting OP!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
H
H
Hello,

I just noticed that the OP mentioned 32 ohms for the Roland FP30X.

In practice, the higher the impedance (expressed in ohms) of your headphone set, the better the sound will be, in particular the lower frequencies. The trade-off is the (lower) volume you will get out of your set.

As a general rule, 32 to 80 ohms is a safe range. If 32 ohms is specified for the Roland, be sure not to go any lower than that (e.g. 16 ohms in many 'consumer' model headphones), it would probably cost you your bass response.

So for instance back to the Beyerdynamic 770 again: 80 ohms is the sweet spot. Avoid the (much) higher impedance (250 ohms) version for your intended use. This is a studio set and would need serious amplification. Should the volume of the 80 ohms turn out too low, divert to the 32 ohms version of the 770 instead.

Hope this helps,

HZ

H
H
Originally Posted by mmathew
[...]

HZ, mind sharing your hifi system details with me, please via PM or here if it's not too much of a thread hijacking. I am like you, I would love to NOT use my headphones. It quite literally is a burden.

[...]

I have been trough horrible years (not counting the pandemic...) and my hifi system is a collection of sheer-luck components. My audio interface outputs to a nice Onkyo receiver from the mid nineties that I found at a charity shop for less than $20. It has two defects that I am now trying to put right again. I use it for everything: CD, TV, Piano and other sources. It has a modest 60 watts of amplifier power which is more than enough, and the sound quality is excellent.

Because of the defects and out of curiosity I recently tried a Sony STR-DH190 as it is praised on youtube as an affordable audiophile gem. It turned out to be boring with holes in the sound image and shrill highs when used with my piano library (which you are on a break from :-P). It's gone return to sender and I hope for years more lovely use out of the old Onkyo if I manage fixing it.

As speakers I use two 1993 (wow yes that's 28 years ago) Wharfedale Diamond V 'bookshelf' speakers. Love them. Sometimes I use a Pioneer subwoofer for a tiny tad fundamental in the lowest lows. That one also came from the charity shop and I improved it a bit to make it tighter and not so 'consumer boomy'.

This week I tested the all new Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 larger bookshelf speakers. I was impressed at first and was preparing to write a thread/post on them for I thought them a great tip to others. But after thorough testing yesterday, today I repacked them for the return journey. I cannot recommend them, which is sad because they are well built and a nice product. However too subtly boomy and muddy in the lows and lower tenor range. Which was less than optimal with the piano and downright annoying with other music.

I may test one more new(er) speaker option or probably stick with my 28 year olds, which hold up remarkably well. Somewhat less refined but absolutely the more pleasant to listen to.

This may or may not help you much, but is what I can share on your question at the moment... And yes, apologies to @Doublenico if we veered a bit too much beside her/his questions by now.

So... Back to suitable headphone options for his/her FP30X.

Cheers and happy listening,

HZ

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hey, Doublenico! Welcome to the forum and to piano!

You have a list of highly regarded headphones. You should take advantage of some retailers' generous return policies, which allow you to return products free of charge for 30 days or some other number of days. Check the policies of your version of Amazon, Thomann, etc. Some of them may allow you to purchase, and then return the set within 30 days without penalty.

This would allow you to test as many sets as necessary until you have found a pair that satisfies you.

And, don't feel bad about doing this, it is the new Covid reality. The retailers know this and accept it.

Last edited by Ralphiano; 03/07/21 01:02 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . .
AKG K240 MKII (open or "semi-open")
. .
Sony MDR-7506 Casque studio (closed)

And add:

Sennheiser HD280 (closed-back)

Those should all be within your budget.

The original K240 was "hard to drive" -- it might need a headphone amp, when used with the FP-30(x). The "Mark II" is supposed to solve that problem -- it will work with anything.

I own an AKG K240 Studio (not Mk II), and a Senn HD280. They're both comfortable(*), and work fine.

The MDR-7506 has been around forever, and has been a "studio standard" -- inexpensive, tough, and decent sound.

The HD280 doesn't hurt my head or ears, but the closed cups get sweaty during long sessions. If you practice in a noisy environment, "closed back" headphones are a really good idea. If you're in a quiet environment, you can pick "closed" or "open".

. . . One person's "comfortable" is another person's "hurts my head".

. . . Even the best headphones won't fix your mistakes.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have the ADK 240 MK II and like them. Thumbs Up laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
P
Hi,

I have the Sony MDR-7506 and it works well. But, the interesting part is I like to use my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones more. The advantages of the WH-1000XM3 is that it has noise canceling (plus it is my normal headphones on the computer, so it is usually out). The NC is useful by giving me just the piano sound; I play mostly during the day.

They sound different, of course. The MDR-7506 being a reference set while the WH-1000XM3 is for general music; but the difference doesn't matter that much in this use case (plus you can adjust the piano if you want to). My Yamaha P-515 doesn't sound bad at all in the WH-1000XM3 (there's definitely more bass on the WH-1000XM3).

If you want I can provide sound samples of the 2 headphones.

D
OP Offline
D
Hello,

Thanks a lot everyone ! you're great.
Now i have to choose between AKG K240 MKII, MDR-7506 and ATH-M40X !

H
H
Originally Posted by Doublenico
Hello,

Nice shortlist!

Out of curiosity: what made you exclude the Beyerdynamic 770s? Because they're sooo nice. You'd have years of great use out of those.

Out of your shortlist, I'd probably pick either the AKG or the Sony, probably the Sony.

Maybe now is the time for Ralphiano's suggestion above 🙂.

Good luck!

Cheers and happy shopping,

HZ

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Do you mind about people around you (if any) hearing your piano playing or about you hearing sounds from outside the headphones?

The AKG for example is very open and doesn't isolate much in either direction.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Doublenico
Hello,

Nice shortlist!

Out of curiosity: what made you exclude the Beyerdynamic 770s? Because they're sooo nice. You'd have years of great use out of those.

Out of your shortlist, I'd probably pick either the AKG or the Sony, probably the Sony.

Maybe now is the time for Ralphiano's suggestion above 🙂.

Good luck!

Cheers and happy shopping,

HZ

Hello

It seems to be a great headphones but i don't find it in france neither on Amazon (Italy, deutchland, spain).
I find the DT 770 M and the https://www.amazon.fr/Beyerdynamic-...667&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-2DT770M

Last edited by Doublenico; 03/08/21 08:22 AM.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Do you mind about people around you (if any) hearing your piano playing or about you hearing sounds from outside the headphones?

The AKG for example is very open and doesn't isolate much in either direction.

Hello,

I'am confused because i was thinking that the AKG is semi open ? when i will play on evening i think no one will hear sounds if they're not in the same room ?

H
H
Hello,

Aha!

If you are in France, you could easily get it from Thomann:

https://www.thomann.de/fr/beyerdynamic_dt770_pro80_ohm.htm

Their service is good and their return service works neatly as you'd expect. For instance if you find that the 80 ohm (the preferred one) gives you too low volume with your piano, they'd kindly help you exchange it for the 32 ohm they also carry:

https://www.thomann.de/fr/beyerdynamic_dt_770_pro_32_ohms.htm

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

HZ

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks i was believing that it was not the same headphone.
What is the difference between 770s et 770 PRO ?
Roland FP-30X il 32 OHMS, so should i bye the 32 oms version and not the 80 ?

H
H
Hello,

You already have the explanation:

Hello,

I just noticed that the OP mentioned 32 ohms for the Roland FP30X.

In practice, the higher the impedance (expressed in ohms) of your headphone set, the better the sound will be, in particular the lower frequencies. The trade-off is the (lower) volume you will get out of your set.

As a general rule, 32 to 80 ohms is a safe range. If 32 ohms is specified for the Roland, be sure not to go any lower than that (e.g. 16 ohms in many 'consumer' model headphones), it would probably cost you your bass response.

So for instance back to the Beyerdynamic 770 again: 80 ohms is the sweet spot. Avoid the (much) higher impedance (250 ohms) version for your intended use. This is a studio set and would need serious amplification. Should the volume of the 80 ohms turn out too low, divert to the 32 ohms version of the 770 instead.

Hope this helps,

HZ

So try the 80 ohms first, just in case that gives you too little volume, then exchange it for the 32 ohms version.

I don't know about the other 770s, the ones I linked to at Thomann are the ones you want--if you go for Beyerdynamic.

Cheers,

HZ

D
OP Offline
D
Yes, you're right! thanks a lot :p

I'am just askink myself if i am able to make the difference beteweek AKG 240 240 MK II and the Beyerdynamic 770 (61 euro vs 125€)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a trouble-free Garritan CFX computer!
by Gombessa - 04/21/21 08:12 PM
Which one do you like - ABRSM vs RCM??
by Pikka - 04/21/21 06:35 PM
Sauter o Bechstein
by Luis Miguel - 04/21/21 05:57 PM
Pricing information for new Steinway/Yamaha?
by lct14558 - 04/21/21 04:10 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,453
Posts3,085,089
Members101,266
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission