2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions on digital or hybrid pianos with quiet hammer action? I currently have a Roland GP610 and the thump is pretty loud to me, and it's certainly annoying my neighbors downstairs. I'm hoping for some general suggestions that I could then go out and try for myself. There are no piano dealers nearby, so I hope to get some recommendations and then see how far those dealers are from me. Price isn't a huge factor, but around $10,000 or under would be okay. What really matters is as quiet action as possible.

Thank You

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
If a quiet action is what you are after I can say that you should avoid the NU1X. I love the NU1X but the action is definitely not quiet.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Peddler100
If a quiet action is what you are after I can say that you should avoid the NU1X. I love the NU1X but the action is definitely not quiet.
I agree that my NU1 action is noisy, but it's more a clacky sound than a thump. If the OP's thump is a problem through the floor rather than air, then people have posted success using sorbothane isolation pads.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think a general opinion is that the Kawai GF actions are among the quietest hammer actions. The latest and most premium is the GF3 found in Ca79 and CA99, both well within your budget.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Is there such a thing as a ‘quiet’ hybrid piano action? No.

So it’ll have to be a pure digital if action-noise is a main concern; and yes, Kawai seems to make the quietest digital piano actions.

Of course, there’s the sound-proofing option (sorbothane/carpeting), but what if that does not fully do the trick; return the hybrid?

Keep in mind that some neighbors are more tolerant than others; have you seen your neighbors today? Are they friend or foe? Does even the slightest hint of an instrument being played upset them? Or are they hip with it?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

How can the words "hammer" and "quiet" be used in the same phrase?

[Linked Image]

A
A
My Bose SC25 Noise Cancelling headphones make everything quiet.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Piano is from the percussion family. I once lived in an attached townhouse and I found a musician friend (bass player,) to rent the other side. Even that friend, who played music couldn't handle it.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm afraid even the Silent Piano from Yamaha will not fit your requirement.

You could probably spend half of $10K to buy a good Clavinova and the other half to sound proof part of the room. Or 75-25. I understand sound proofing an entire room is not on the cards for many.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
I'm very satisfied with the relative quietness of my P-515. The keys make a satisfied muffled thump. It gives me the feeling of something organic. As if the keys were well lubricated in some consistent matter. I would rate the NWX as very silent relative to the current digital market.

P-515
CLP-785
C
C
Did you consider buying an anti vibrations pad? It's like those you can usually find on the gym floor, made of rubber. You can easily find it on Amazon. I solved it that way, since the issue of the "thump" is usually not the sound but the vibration going down from the piano to the floor.

A
A
A Kawai VPC1 action is super quiet.

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
Originally Posted by mmathew
A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G.K. Chesterton

Now that has really cheered me up! A splendid quote.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by mmathew
G.K. Chesterton

Now that has really cheered me up! A splendid quote.

:-) isn't that the story of our (most of the folks' here I dare to presume) lives with this beautiful instrument?

G. K. Chesterton
O
O
My Korg G1 action is super quiet, and about $8000 under your budget! Lol.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
F
F
This is a big problem in Japan too. I believe they developed a piano base for this exact purpose - to damp the sound of the action before it transfers to the floor. I'll do some digging and report back if I find it.

F
F
Oh it was easy to find!
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Sound...mp;psc=1&refRID=RB83AEDN9A3FJMF92XEB

Uhgggghhhh sorry for the awful link

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you can see and be able to cut off unnecessary garbage in links, then they may look better:
www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B006X7OAF0

G
G
I can confirm from experience that the Kawai MP11SE is very quiet. My wife and I have offices that share a wall, and she complained bitterly about the thumping that my Roland FP-80 made. I tried all sorts of isolation, but nothing worked until I got the Kawai, which I've had now for 2 years without a single complaint.

The problem I'm having with the Kawai is that the Grand Feel action is not very responsive. Mushy, or like playing in molasses is the closest I can come to describing it. Trills are much slower than on my Mason Hamlin. I usually practice on the Kawai, and then move to the Mason Hamlin a day or two before my lesson. The difference in feel is dramatic.

Bottom line is, yes the Kawai GF is very quiet, but try it first. Today, I'm in the market for something better, but that will be the start of another thread.

Adult intermediate; Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha HS8 monitors; Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D; True Keys Ravenscroft 275; Galaxy Vintage D; Garritan CFX; Vienna Symphonic Library Steinway D and Yamaha CFX; Mason & Hamlin B
R
R
My Korg G1 Air with RH3 action is very quiet and solid build quality-love it!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission