2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
mmathew, you are right about the price-point. I wonder if Yamaha is trying to undercut the competition, but then again, Yamaha is a mammoth corporation with huge brand recognition, so perhaps they don’t need to do this? Count me in as baffled.

About the action, yes, some hate it as much as “we” love it, so perhaps I should say to U3 “proceed with caution”, and/or as Mac would say, ‘try before you buy’.

If you can try a CLP-645, it’ll do (they share the same action).

P.S.

Isn’t the digital piano world so exciting? Always improving (though slowly), surprising us (sometimes letting us down), teasing us (I’m looking at you, KJ), but never boring (us) like the acoustic. The acoustic just sits there and doesn’t want to be bothered by a thing called innovation. IMHO! grin

When was the last time you heard any exciting news about the acoustic? But I digress.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I like this thread. So far, for the VPC-2, we have:

- Acoustic grand action
- 88 keys
- More than 88 keys
- 73 keys
- Premium sound engine
- VST-capable computer built-in, VSTs built-in
- Motherboard with audio interface built in, Wifi, bluetooth, ethernet
- Headphones
- Portable
- Furniture style stand
- pitch/mod wheels
- built in speakers
- OLED screen
- Various custom colors
- Cupholders.

C'mon James, the Internet has spoke. Go do your job!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa

- Acoustic grand action
- 88 keys
- More than 88 keys
- 73 keys
- Premium sound engine
- Headphones
- Portable
- Furniture style stand
- pitch/mod wheels
- built in speakers
- OLED screen
- Various custom colors
- Cupholders.

Well, if you put it that way, I don't like this thread now laugh I think James now has required inputs which he can filter and hopefully pass on to the market research team at Kawai.

I wish we could vote on that list. Some items deserve a down vote IMO. Either way, this thread has run its course don't y'all think so?

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
You need to add:

Infant carrier holder.
Sippy cup holder
Spill resistant keyboard!
All under 25lbs.

James is really slacking here. Shut down with the pandemic you think by now he would have a nice proto-type ready to roll wink

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Gombessa

- Acoustic grand action
- 88 keys
- More than 88 keys
- 73 keys
- Premium sound engine
- Headphones
- Portable
- Furniture style stand
- pitch/mod wheels
- built in speakers
- OLED screen
- Various custom colors
- Cupholders.

In addition to these features I think it should also be affordable, foldable and under 15kg.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If we set aside the silly items (of which I am a contributor) smile ...
- cup holder
- sippy cup holder
- infant carrier holder
- spill resistant keyboard
- foldable
- under 25lbs or under 15kg

... and focus on those features that were (probably) intended in earnest:
- acoustic grand action
- 73 keys
- 88 keys
- more than 88 keys
- premium sound engine
- VST-capable computer built-in
- VSTs built-in
- motherboard with audio interface built in, wifi, bluetooth, ethernet
- headphones
- portable
- furniture style stand
- pitch/mod wheels
- built in speakers
- OLED screen
- various custom colors

Then we have a world-record lightweight portable ... with a heavy grand action ... resulting in a console that weighs as much as the largest digital.

With headphones ... for a piano that produces no sound.

With non-console features, such as pitch wheel and mod wheel.

And non-VPC features, such as VSTs.

And custom colors ... yes, customization for a commodity product. Go figure.

This would be a Rube Goldberg, yes? A thingamajig. A doohickey on steroids.

As mmathew said, above:
This thread has run its course don't y'all think so?
Yes, I do. smile

R
R
There would have been a lot less ridiculousness here if we had limited it to one and only one item, ie. your absolutely number one must-have feature/improvement that is actually possible.

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq 7
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Well being serious I would want the next better action and I would want pitch/mod wheels.
I don't get why some are against those. Might not need it but sometimes when playing other sounds they come in handy. I shouldn't have to have another controller on top of the VPC1/2 for this.

But in all of this talk the VPC-series is really not for me. If I'm spending this type of money I would rather go up and get the kawai MP7SE etc. I like the idea that I can just turn on the unit and in a few seconds play without worrying about having a computer/iPad set up for sounds.

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Mod wheels and after touch, in addition to a better action within Kawai line are some of the few items that are not absurd (IMO).

However, as I pointed out above on my mostly tongue-in-cheek post, there is already an instrument in Kawai line that is close to these requests. Maybe adding some speakers, that would not do it the due justice unlike cheaper more home targeted instruments such as ES8 or ES920. Aftertouch is debatable and brings (I think) complexity and cost that not all potential customers would wish or willing to spend $$$ for.

Perhaps a more capable sound generator, something like MP7SE's generator (improved) and MP11SE mechanics could make sense.

VPC-1 is beautiful in its simplicity. It is meant to make one thing well: to emulate as much as possible the feeling of a grand at an affordable price. IMO, what would make real sense for a VPC-2 would be using a higher end action.

For more than that, there is already one instrument that is close. Of course, it does not meet everybody's expectation but the same applies to everything, otherwise there would not be Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai, Bosendorf, Fazioli etc., to name the brands of instruments of the wildest dreams of many here. Pick a brand and all the others would make no sense (of course, the problem is getting a consensus about which brand smile ).

Last edited by EVC2017; 03/05/21 05:35 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'd still bet a dime that a VPC with only the keyboard action from the NV10 will be a huge hit smile Kawai won't admit it and of course no semi-self-respecting digital manufacturer would admit people prefer VST-s and external speakers to their own sound engine and speakers. But in a theoretical world where Kawai accepts the reality, that would be an instrument that sells better than a NV10 smile Of course that would also apply to Yamaha and N1X but since they don't offer any VPC-style of instruments, nobody has suggested it. But it still applies: a N1X minus the sound and speakers would probably sell more than just N1X provided it's slightly cheaper.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
A
A
CyberGene yes absolutely!!! That would be an absolute timeless grandpiano controller. I would buy it immediately. What keeps me from buying an NV10 is the price and the piano sounds (nobody would take some interest of these sounds in 10 years).

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
I'd buy a Novus-action-in-a-VPC-box product ... if the price were right.

But few other people would. The silent VPC is already in a niche. A more expensive, grand-action VPC would have even more limited appeal.

Yes, I want one. And you want one. And a dozen other PW members want one. But that's not enough to pay the bills at Kawai.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Where monitors can shine in overall fidelity, on-board speakers can win in sound imaging.

With monitors you get a hard left/right sound imaging; with something like the N1X you not only have speakers strategically placed throughout the piano but you also get a 4-channel system instead of a stereo. As far I’m concerned, a piano’s sound seems to come from all over the instrument and not just from a hard left/right.

So, something like the N1X with a few more speakers (bigger subwoofers), and even the current sound engine would be preferred over this hypothetical grand-piano controller.

The truth is that very few people keep digitals for ‘ten’ years, so if things have improved drastically by then it would not be a big deal to simply upgrade to a new hybrid with perhaps an even better/longer action.

There’s also the aesthetic component: the all-in-one hybrid wins hands down!

Come on, Pete. You're making this stuff up.

Very few people keep digitals for ‘ten’ years ...
I guess MacMacMac will have to change his name to VeryFewPeople. Or perhaps you can instead support your claim with specific information?

With monitors you get a hard left/right sound imaging ...
I have monitors. I don't get hard left/right. Nor did I when I used the piano's own speakers.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I apologize, Mac; perhaps I over-generalized, but I don’t see myself having a digital for more than ten years; not anymore, I don’t.

I have to admit that I might’ve fallen pray to today’s “get-a-new-one-every-year” mentality, and though back then I didn’t buy something already thinking about the next thing, nowadays, I sadly do (sometimes).

Of course, I won’t be upgrading digital pianos every year, but I really doubt I can go for ten years without upgrading, so long as Gombessa keeps teasing about ‘something better around the corner’.

About monitors, I don’t think it would be easy to recreate the sound-field of something like the N3X with a pair of Genelecs. IMHO.

J
J
Jokes aside, I think the success of VPC-1 has been the mechanics of the instrument, and the fact that it can be used on the road. That's why I bought it a couple of years back.

It would make sense to me if they developed the action even further, since this was one of the original selling points:
- Fully adjustable action so that the instrument can be regulated just like a real grand piano with true let-off etc. This should be something that your local piano technician should perform
- Optical sensors to replace the contact breakers to produce better MIDI velocity rendering

Obvious improvements:
- Longer keys (heck, make them the same lengths as the Shigeru Kawai grands, I don't care if this makes the chassis 4 inches wider)
- Better capstan design that would give us more stability and consistency over time
- Contact-less design of pedals (the potentiometers wear down and produce extremely erratic results

And vanity stuff:
- Flat top, yes, I know this is a vanity thing, but the domed shape really makes life harder when you want all your stuff there

I think this would be one heck of a package, it'd probably sell like heck.

K
K
I would keep the idea of VPC1. Just change the action to Millenium III and optical sensors. Outlooks should be as clean as possible. USB connected computer will do all the bells and whistles.

Isn't the M III rather large? Can it fit into a VPC-sized enclosure?

[Linked Image]

J
J
i would guess that the Millenium III mechanics would need an extra 25/30 cms in that VPC-1 cabinet...

And it'd be heavy as heck... As if the VPC-1 isn't heavy enough as it is...

But it would definitely be a crazily good virtual piano controller.

I noted in the piano shop that even the "short" Shigeru Kawais have the long keys now, btw. The feel of a grand lies in the length of the keys, apparently...

I assume you're referring to the DEPTH, yes?
Originally Posted by Jazzgeir
i would guess that the Millenium III mechanics would need an extra 25/30 cms in that VPC-1 cabinet.
What about HEIGHT?! smile

Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission