2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Found Pete14 posted a video of someone playing Yamaha P515. I found her another performance and I enjoyed that so much.

Of course she is a magnificent player with different kind of delicate touch. She explained in another video of trying Yamaha P515, Kawai ES8 and Roland FP90. Interestingly, she said that for Yamaha and Kawai it is personal preference. However, she didn't find herself connecting to the Roland sound at all.

Does P515 have ways to capture the key-off velocity? I found her staccato to be very clear.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Does P515 have ways to capture the key-off velocity? I found her staccato to be very clear.

Yes, the P-515 senses, sends and processes 1-127 Note Off Velocity.

Yamaha P-515
U
uuu Offline
U
The same performer has posted herself playing a Bach Prelude and Fugue on acoustic. She makes some below-the-line comments on the differences between this instrument and her digital one. She clearly finds that she can express herself properly on the digital.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoeT
Originally Posted by Harpuia

Yes, the P-515 senses, sends and processes 1-127 Note Off Velocity.

And this can be adjusted via the app. I like it at max, and it’s not just staccato but also everything in between that is more prominent.

The AvantGrands have this but it is not adjustable; for some reason, Yamaha allows for very little tweaking -except for reverb, note volume/intonation-
I hope that changes for future models.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
She is good and her performance with the P515 would sound so much better if she used some reverb. It sounds so digital to my ears... IMHO a good reverb effect is the key factor for a more realistic experience.
That's why Kawai SK-EX Rendering Engine is so much based on better reverb effects compared to the previous piano engine.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
First re: Darla's video. Inspiring performance, and I learn a little bit from every such performance I watch: movement of hands, fingering style, position of seat, sitting, hand position etc. The music they produce completes the inspiration. I'm thankful to artists like these for taking the time to make inspiring and encouraging videos like these. I am aging, and I long for the nimbleness of youth, but I'll take inspiration anyway :-)

Re: my current P515 setting. This might "sound" (pun unintended) illogical, I don't know, but thought I'll bring it up:

Since most videos and experts I've watched seemed to highly recommend Bosendorfer for Classical, and inspired by the "Noiseless" piano patches of Kawai digitals, I tried this sound on the P515 and I haven't changed it for about 5 days now (and that is an era in my case):

Select Bosendorfer. Choose your preference for touch (mine is Hard2), or leave it on default. Leave everything else default, but set all resonances to zero, and add a little bit of key-off sampling, just a tiny. Since I pictured in my mind the Bosendorfer to be in a luxurious chamber of some castle - select Chamber and leave resonance at default.

Even through onboard speakers, it's quite an amazing sound to my ears. It's similarly so on the CA79's default "Noiseless" patches for all AG pianos. I'm amazed at the thought the piano makers have put in, to create these different patches and build in to the system. They of course are no replacement for hundreds of gigs of VSTs samples and processing powers of computers, but they do serve to provide quick but great sounding settings.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
She is good and her performance with the P515 would sound so much better if she used some reverb. It sounds so digital to my ears... IMHO a good reverb effect is the key factor for a more realistic experience.
That's why Kawai SK-EX Rendering Engine is so much based on better reverb effects compared to the previous piano engine.

Now Mozart is very uplifting; his music that is. I find it hard to imagine a lady with her splendid capability would play a 515 willingly unless a VST was in there to at least give something that that piano could not.
Mybe we expect too much from digitals, but she did what she could for that little beast she played. She obviously was more in tune with the music . Good on her!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by mmathew
They of course are no replacement for hundreds of gigs of VSTs samples and processing powers of computers, but they do serve to provide quick but great sounding settings.

Personally, I believe that the approach taken by Yamaha/Kawai is the smarter approach.

They are looking for other ways to recreate a piano realistically not only by adding more and more layers on top, but rather by expanding outwards towards the edges; you know, where the good stuff resides.

What do I mean by this? Well, they are adding more modeling instead of just thousands of samples piled like sardines in a tin can; they are giving the user more control over parameters; such as, key-off samples, resonances, note-volume etc.

Yes, I know that some sampled VSTs also give the user control over many parameters, but where they falter is in the one thing they brag about: too many samples and not enough modeling!

There is just no realistic need for 100 layers per key; it is something done for the purpose of marketing, “we have the biggest D in town”. Well, guess what, many have managed to produce outstanding Ds (Steinway) without the excess amount of samples; this, by extension, ends up saving the user a lot of money because the lower-sampled VST is cheaper and requires less storage capacity and perhaps even less processing power.

I have a very old Mac Pro and it runs Pianoteq and Ravenscroft perfectly; I can assure you that if I try to run something from VSL, the computer would be blown into pieces (literally).

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by mmathew
They of course are no replacement for hundreds of gigs of VSTs samples and processing powers of computers, but they do serve to provide quick but great sounding settings.

Personally, I believe that the approach taken by Yamaha/Kawai is the smarter approach.

They are looking for other ways to recreate a piano realistically not only by adding more and more layers on top, but rather by expanding outwards towards the edges; you know, where the good stuff resides.

What do I mean by this? Well, they are adding more modeling instead of just thousands of samples piled like sardines in a tin can; they are giving the user more control over parameters; such as, key-off samples, resonances, note-volume etc.

Yes, I know that some sampled VSTs also give the user control over many parameters, but where they falter is in the one thing they brag about: too many samples and not enough modeling!

There is just no realistic need for 100 layers per key; it is something done for the purpose of marketing, “we have the biggest D in town”. Well, guess what, many have managed to produce outstanding Ds (Steinway) without the excess amount of samples; this, by extension, ends up saving the user a lot of money because the lower-sampled VST is cheaper and requires less storage capacity and perhaps even less processing power.

I have a very old Mac Pro and it runs Pianoteq and Ravenscroft perfectly; I can assure you that if I try to run something from VSL, the computer would be blown into pieces (literally).

Pianoteq is pure modeling. I think this makes Yamaha and Kawai dumb then!

The reason why acoustic piano sounds different is because of the reverberations mixed with vibrations. That's not possible to model at the moment. Why it is usually done is they isolate the strings of a note and they sample it and it will sound very different from when you have the entire soundboard resonating the entire strings attached to it.

Last edited by Abdol; 03/03/21 10:21 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by magicpiano

Agreed! I have done tons of tweeks with reverb, and eq, and brilliance.

My favorite so far is brilliance 8, reverb 20, damper resonance down to 4 from 5, and eq flat.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Well she picked up a subscriber. This is by far the best video review I've ever seen of a digital piano. It's thorough, clear, articulate, educated and no hyperbole.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14

Vienna Imperial runs perfectly well on my 2012 dual core Windows laptop with 6 gigabytes of RAM. It doesn't even need and SSD.

The more recent VSL pianos require an SSD, and they run on the same laptop provided I don't use too many mic positions simultaneously (which I have no desire to do anyway).

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission