2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
As travel becomes more possible, I'm thinking about a small keyboard to take on a road trip. Ideally , 4 octaves. This is just to keep my piano playing chops up so that my whole coordination/muscle tone "thing" is kept intact.

I've watched a YT review of a Casio Casiotone CT-S200. It's a candidate. But if anyone has other suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I'm thinking of up to $200-250. I don't expect the best sounding speakers. I'm thinking of something I could play sitting in bed with the keyboard sitting on a pillow in front of me.

Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 03/03/21 10:34 AM.
This may be overkill but it looks amazing (if it actually exists) and it comes with a battery and it's own suitcase!

https://pianophoenix.com/en/

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
R
R
Is the CT-S200 touch sensitive at all?

You may need to look at the CT-S300 which is.
It is the smallest and lightest 61er. Be aware that sounds are thin and keys are feeling kind of dead.

But(!) i kept it after trying hard to like the Roland go piano which looks much more grown up and does not sound too bad. Impossible, they got the touchweight completely wrong at up to 200 grams.

Rather a CT-S under than CTS in my hands.

-Rhodes74

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Rhodes74
Is the CT-S200 touch sensitive at all?

You may need to look at the CT-S300 which is.
It is the smallest and lightest 61er. Be aware that sounds are thin and keys are feeling kind of dead.

-Rhodes74

+1.

On grounds of weight (and size), weighted-action keyboards are unlikely and/or expensive.

But I'd hold out for "touch-sensitive" synth-action keys. Without touch-sensitivity, you stand a good chance of practicing bad habits.

It's too bad the Yamaha MX49 is expensive, it would fit your needs nicely.

The Yamaha PSR-3xx and PSR-4xx are touch-sensitive.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Yamaha NP-12

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
R
R
I've had both Casios:
CT-S300 (s200 is not velocity sensitive)
CT-X700

I bought these boards for couch/bed/travel and appreciated their light weight, shallow depth and ability to be battery powered.

Night and day difference- the S300 is just terrible. Its cute, carry handle and all, but the sounds and built-in speakers were awful. Action not bad.

The X700 was a revelation. I've used a lot of cheapie boards, the X700 is just $30 more than the S300. Using the same 5 watts of speaker power, it actually sounded pretty decent. And the sound quality was also decent, something I've never seen in this price category, and the action is not bad.

Altogether a surprising board that I don't hesitate to recommend. As a comparison, the s300 is not worth playing, the x700 is good enough to be used as a back-up board if you were gigging.

In fact, the x700 was so good I decided to go for their top of the line in the CT-X series, the x5000. Not battery powered but kick ass speakers, more sounds and capability, etc. Like the x700, it's also best in class AFAIK in this price category, love it!

Last edited by Randyman; 03/03/21 04:49 PM.

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
D
D
Los que mencionaron anterioremente parecen ser buenos para lo que tu buscas, el otro seria un roland go

Last edited by davick; 03/03/21 05:08 PM.
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Another path:

. . . Get a 49-key MIDI controller, with full-size touch-sensitive keys.

. . . Use a smartphone / tablet / computer with appropriate software,
. . . for generating sounds;

. . . Use headphones (or earbuds), rather than loudspeakers.

A search on Amazon.com for 49-key MIDI controllers yields lots of hits. I recognize the Alesis and M-Audio brands, with their touch-sensitive models starting around $100.

The Alesis Q49 comes with a free version of Pro Tools, and 4 virtual instruments. The M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3 is similarly equipped.

You will need something called an "On-the-Go" (OTG) adapter, if you're using an Android smartphone or tablet -- that's about $5.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For travel practice, the Alesis Recital 61 has semi-weighted keys for around US$200. (Don’t confuse it with the Harmony 61 with typical synth keys.)

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
If you want weighted action, Yamaha P-121 is a good candidate.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Osho
If you want weighted action, Yamaha P-121 is a good candidate.

I agree, but the P121 is $600, not $200-250.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
The NP-12 is inexpensive, lightweight, has touch-sensitive keys and decent internal speakers, and runs on AA batteries. For a "motel" piano, I don't think you'll find anything better. smile

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
The NP-12 is inexpensive, lightweight, has touch-sensitive keys and decent internal speakers, and runs on AA batteries. For a "motel" piano, I don't think you'll find anything better. smile

But I thought the NP-12 didn't have full sized keys. If I'm taking it with me I would want full sized keys IMHO.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
No, it has full-size keys. Also has USB MIDI. You have to either use batteries all the time (I think they last 10 hours or so), or buy a power adapter (Yamaha PA-130, $15) separately.

H
hes Offline
H
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Another path:

. . . Get a 49-key MIDI controller, with full-size touch-sensitive keys.

. . . Use a smartphone / tablet / computer with appropriate software,
. . . for generating sounds;

. . . Use headphones (or earbuds), rather than loudspeakers.

A search on Amazon.com for 49-key MIDI controllers yields lots of hits. I recognize the Alesis and M-Audio brands, with their touch-sensitive models starting around $100.

The Alesis Q49 comes with a free version of Pro Tools, and 4 virtual instruments. The M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3 is similarly equipped.

You will need something called an "On-the-Go" (OTG) adapter, if you're using an Android smartphone or tablet -- that's about $5.
I have an M-Audio Keystation 49, which I think was $99. It seems like a good solution for this "road trip" kind of problem. Weighs 4 pounds, I think. You can definitely use it on your lap or in bed. The key action isn't stellar, but take it with a grain of salt if anybody tells you that the action on any inexpensive, non-hammer-action controller is really good. It's fine to "keep your chops up". I use it in combination with an iPad or macbook. There are lots of different sounds sources you can use on iPad/iPhone, many cheap (free up to $10) and quite good, i think I picked up Ravenscroft on sale for less than $20, but the cheap VST's are good, too. On Macbook Air I mostly use Pianoteq. With my iPads you don't need an OTG cable, generic usb cable works, but you do need Apple CCK adapter ($40?) or a generic clone ($12 on ebay). I have both the Apple CCK and an ebay clone and they both work the same, but there are lots of clones out there and many people report problems.

P
P
I see the Casio CT-X700 and Yamaha NP-12 are both mentioned. I happened to have played both. For the OP's needs, if picking between the 2, I think the NP-12 is better because it is a lot smaller than the CT-X700 (although the CT-X700 sounds significantly better than the NP-12). They also run on batteries; which is great for portability.

However, both keyboards' keys are narrow. Yes, I know there's no standard piano key size; but these keys are narrower than what you'd find on an acoustic by a little less than 1 mm. It doesn't sound like much, but when you play between the black keys, you can clearly feel the rub and when you do an octave, it'll be like 5mm difference (enough for you to hit between the keys sometimes). Additionally, both keyboard's keys don't travel very far and they are spring loaded.

R
R
Originally Posted by piano2020
I see the Casio CT-X700 and Yamaha NP-12 are both mentioned. I happened to have played both. For the OP's needs, if picking between the 2, I think the NP-12 is better because it is a lot smaller than the CT-X700 (although the CT-X700 sounds significantly better than the NP-12). They also run on batteries; which is great for portability.

However, both keyboards' keys are narrow. Yes, I know there's no standard piano key size; but these keys are narrower than what you'd find on an acoustic by a little less than 1 mm. It doesn't sound like much, but when you play between the black keys, you can clearly feel the rub and when you do an octave, it'll be like 5mm difference (enough for you to hit between the keys sometimes). Additionally, both keyboard's keys don't travel very far and they are spring loaded.

The NP-12 is a lot smaller?
---- NP-12: 40.8" wide x 10.2" deep x 4.1" high...... 10 pounds
- CT-X700: 37.3 wide x 13.8 deep x 4.3" high...... 9.5 pounds

I would say the extra depth of the x700 is worth it for all the added functionality, most of which is missing on the np-12. But yeah, a shallower depth is nice. And to clarify, the x700 sounds better because of the voice quality AND the speakers.

I haven't tried one in ages, but if you jump up to the $300 price range and a bit more depth and weight (at 15 pounds is still very lightweight) the Yamaha PSR- E463 is a really fun board, better everything than the np-12, AND it has those two knobs for cutoff/resonance/etc., wicked fun! Though once again Casio has the overall stronger board at this price point with the CT-X3000.

Like I said, everything about the x700 is a class leader for the under $200 segment. However, if I were to buy again, I'd get the X800 which is the exact same board but adds a pitch wheel (!) and a USB flash port. For a fun board like this I really miss the pitch bend wheel. You might have a hard time finding a x800 however.

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
This thread prompted my thinking : Did you ever chose a hotel that actually had a piano they would let you use ? I did.

Admittedly I am am more concerned with resort hotels or small country inns catering to leisure travel. But in places like Germany, France and Switzerland, in touristic areas, you will find plenty of places that have pianos. They are generally acoustics, of course, not necessarily well tuned or taken care of, and usually located in bars, or better in small halls intended for gigs or private receptions such as wedding parties. In the latter case the advantage is that the hotel proprietors have arranged for some form of acoustic isolation, so evening parties do not disturb people in the bedrooms. This means your fumbling practice work will not be overheard.

I have found that "piano-inns" will be very accomodating in letting you practice, particularly when you give them advance notice.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
B
B
I bought the Yamaha P-125 specifically for use while traveling and has worked out well. Found a portable stand that can break down into a suitcase:

https://www.quiklok.com/product/ws-421-keyboard-mixer-stand/

The P121, as was mentioned earlier is higher than your budget, but would probably work well for the size preference you mentioned. I have the case Yamaha makes specifically for their portable DPs and carries everything needed (except for a stand). This is the case for the P-121:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/sc-kb750/index.html

Yamaha C2X
Yamaha P-125
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission